Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
Actually,it might be more than enough. FAA reliability req’t for critical to flight parts demands 10 to the minus 9 reliability ( helicopters ). Not a lawyer,but this would be a point of departure. It depends,though, on the design point of the system. In this case the poster Susie is writing that essentially the force was too high to turn the wheel. If the Subaru defense would be that the driver didn’t try hard enough, the counterpoint would be to ask where, in the owners manual, it describes how much force is required to accomplish this difficult task. There is nothing in my 2019 ( pages 318-9 ) manual that addresses the driver corrective action for this single failure mode.

Discussion starter · #42 ·
So according to this report Subaru Forester Sales Figures
almost 180,000 - 2019 Subaru foresters were sold.. out of those cars, are there any reports ( besides yours) that have had similar issues? That's where I would start. 1 car out of 180,000 isn't going to help you support your claim.
actually, we bought a 2020 Subaru in October of 2019, so I doubt that 180,000 have been sold as of now. And, who,s driving now? If there are other vehicles w/problems, will take longer to come to light...susie

Discussion starter · #43 ·
Actually,it might be more than enough. FAA reliability req’t for critical to flight parts demands 10 to the minus 9 reliability ( helicopters ). Not a lawyer,but this would be a point of departure. It depends,though, on the design point of the system. In this case the poster Susie is writing that essentially the force was too high to turn the wheel. If the Subaru defense would be that the driver didn’t try hard enough, the counterpoint would be to ask where, in the owners manual, it describes how much force is required to accomplish this difficult task. There is nothing in my 2019 ( pages 318-9 ) manual that addresses the driver corrective action for this single failure mode.
Hi, you sound like an engineer? I,m only guessing about the force to turn the wheel, because we cannot come up with any other reason for accident if the steering/brakes were not defective., and did not freeze. ....An experienced driver, on the same route she takes daily for a few years,,,not driving fast, ...dry road...but doing all this in a 3 week new vehicle...the only variable is the new vehicle...

Hi, you sound like an engineer? I,m only guessing about the force to turn the wheel, because we cannot come up with any other reason for accident if the steering/brakes were not defective., and did not freeze. ....An experienced driver, on the same route she takes daily for a few years,,,not driving fast, ...dry road...but doing all this in a 3 week new vehicle...the only variable is the new vehicle...
You are correct re the engineer, Susie. If you want to continue the process of investigating,you’ll need possession of the vehicle, competent mechanical assistance and legal help in the form of a firm familiar with automobile accident work. Just assuming this can go the way it does in the helicopter industry anyway. As the owner of a similar vehicle,I am very interested in what is found re your car. Living in Florida, the demographics of the driving population is older,so one should expect,for instance, that the wheel forces following a single failure of the electrical power steering system (and it IS a non-redundant system,I believe ) are manageable by an 80 year old, male or female. That includes a failure during any normally expected driving condition.

@Susie - I assume you're pretty well done, and while it's unlikely to get any further action, you should still file complaints to appropriate agencies if you haven't..
The fact that the car was "complaining" (beeping) should be relevant, and something should have been recorded.
The defensive attitude of Subaru sounds like they have something to hide.
Likely it's worth waiting for them (economically) to wait until someone gets killed before they are forced to admit anything, but your case might help that other person to sue the hell out of Subaru. In your case, it sounds like you did okay. If you are still fighting them over the extended warranty, small claims would be effective.
Subaru has a long history of sweeping problems under the rug (head gaskets anyone?) and it just may be that a number of "safety systems" colluded to wreck the car.
You can find cases where the cars slam on the brakes to avoid a ghost in the road. If that event coincided with a steering failure during a turn, and/or the lane positioning system was trying to steer the wrong way at the same time.... Something obviously happened to send your daughter into a ditch.

How does your daughter like the Tucson? I'm considering one.

@Susie 1 car out of 180K isn't going to raise red flags, unfortunately......I would have to expect that there would be more cars displaying a similar steering symptom, as unfair as that might sound. That doesn't help you, of course, and it also doesn't "help" the rest of Forester owners with this gen. of car, including me. Until SOA or someone else with an overview of the production run, reports that there IS a problem, I'll continue to enjoy my 2019. Mine was delivered in Aug. 2019, BTW. I always am ""aware" of the lane keep feature but am now familiar enough to it that's not a surprise anymore, when it kicks in.......

Discussion starter · #49 ·
@Susie - I assume you're pretty well done, and while it's unlikely to get any further action, you should still file complaints to appropriate agencies if you haven't..
The fact that the car was "complaining" (beeping) should be relevant, and something should have been recorded.
Likely it's worth waiting for them (economically) to wait until someone gets killed before they are forced to admit anything, but your case might help that other person to sue the hell out of Subaru. In your case, it sounds like you did okay. If you are still fighting them over the extended warranty, small claims would be effective.
Subaru has a long history of sweeping problems under the rug (head gaskets anyone?) and it just may be that a number of "safety systems" colluded to wreck the car.
You can find cases where the cars slam on the brakes to avoid a ghost in the road. If that event coincided with a steering failure during a turn, and/or the lane positioning system was trying to steer the wrong way at the same time.... Something obviously happened to send your daughter into a ditch.

She likes it. Got a 2019 great end of year sale, so it wasnt her choice color, but she,s happy.

Discussion starter · #50 ·

.thnak you. You,re right. I will follow up with
She likes it. Got a 2019 great end of year sale, so it wasnt her choice color, but she,s happy.
And you are right. I will follow up with NHSTA. I sincerely hope no one has to get killed to get action on a ny safety glitch. Any other agencies I should contact?

@Susie
NHSTA is your best bet nationally. Your state's attorney general's office is another place that will accept and record vehicle safety complaints.
The Better Business Bureau in your case, more for the fact they won't turn over relevant data and were not meeting their obligations to return the extended warranty funds.
Thanks for the Tucson feedback.

I didn't exactly duplicate the OP's conditions but while traveling at 35 mph I put the tranny in neutral and turned the key to access and it kept power steering for a block. Pulled into the garage, put tranny in neutral and turned the key to access. No power steering. Apparently the computer senses forward motion and maintains power steering if the engine stops.

Hi Susie,

Jumping in late, just want to say that I'm happy that your daughter is happy with the Tucson.

I actually bought a 2020 Forester after I had numerous issues with my Hyundai Tucson. I took Hyundai to court as they were (similar to how your experience with SoA has been) unresponsive, invoked the Magnuson Moss warranty act (since car was 2 years old and lemon law didn't apply anymore). They replace the transmission 3 times, engine harness and many many other parts twice, and still the Tucson was not road-worthy (it would be extremely extremely lethargic when pushing down on the accelerator), so eventually we sold it and bought our (first ever!) Subaru Forester.

I'm no Subaru fanboy, but so far our 2020 Forester Touring has been very good, and no issues (fingers crossed).

Good luck to you and your family. I'm hoping your daughter's new vehicle is better for her and keeps her safe.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.