Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Your daughter's situation is tricky and I hope SOA will do all things to correct the problems if the car is found to be at fault. Pls keep us updated on how things go.

My wife is a PT and what I learned from her over the period of time, do not admit the quoted part right away. She sees auto crash patients all the time and many times the injury doesn't present itself a few weeks after the crash. I don't know how the insurance works in such cases but should something show up after a few weeks, she needs the coverage.
Thank you and the wife/PT. I’m in the health field myself and fully aware of musculoskeletal issues arising sometime after the initial accident. And she is experiencing Whiplash/soft tissue/neck/back/shoulder complaints. But that’s considered low level in comparison to (as lawyers interest go) paraplegia, brain injury, etc. thank the dear lord we are not talking bout that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Oh, and 1 more thing since I’m getting riled up about this. We purchased an extended warrantee for over $2000. Dealership (Anchor Subaru in Warwick, RI) said, sure, of course, happy to help, no problem. Just supply us with Total Loss Letter from insurance company. And I’ve complied but now, they are finding new, ridiculous obstacles to refunding that money, saying that the owner/manager and business finance manager of Anchor were unaware of all the properly dotted i’s and properly crossed t’s and hoops that one needs to jump through in order to get that refund.
Really? I’m too polite to curse on this site but that’s kind of what is in order for Anchor Subaru.

·
Registered
2018 Premium 2.5i 6M
205 Posts
Apparently the steering can fail in many situations as it’s just an electrical wire/component controlled by a computer. The recalled vehicles (over 10,000) in February 2019 were due to failures in the molded plastic steering column that developed gaps. . I have also heard that rodents chew on wires in car engines.

Enclosing article from Motor World regarding 2018 problem.

I did not post this incident to upset any satisfied Subaru owners. Of course the company has built a reputation on solid achievements in the safety auto field and the safety of the passenger box probably saved her life. But, as the 2019 steering column debacle/closing of the manufacturing facility in Japan shows... errors can occur, problems can arise, accidents can happen. No one is immune.
I posted my comments to alert Subaru owners, especially hoping to reach new vehicle owners of a potential life threatening defect.

I very, very strongly feel that, in light of 2019 steering failures “that could cause accidents” that Subaru corporate should have jumped in to investigate pronto. They should not be waiting for numerous accidents/fatalities.
there are also complaints of steering issues by other Subaru owners on:
carcomplaints.com.

You not only build a reputation on safety but you maintain that reputation with a serious commitment to investigation of credible complaints. Sure, interpretation of credible is a variable, but an experienced driver, on a daily traveled route, not slick or even wet, traveling at normal speeds??? Car flips over??? I’d be listening if I was Subaru corporate.
I think it's great you're posting about this. Really, sometimes that's all it takes: one person to bring attention to this issue.

Have you considered contacting any news agencies about your story? One thing about corporations, any corporation, is they hate bad press, as that has the potential to affect profits. Which is how you have to approach this. Bad press is like lighting a fire under their feet.

Reach out to not only your local news (newspaper, tv, etc.), but also the big players, like the New York Times or any state paper. This is a pretty dramatic crash. And, like you mentioned, there may be other people out there who have experienced this same problem.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
173 Posts
Hello, You are my neighbor if you got your Subaru in the RI area.
Correction, Anchor Subaru is in North Smithfield and Balise Subaru is in Warwick.
Which dealer did you get your Subaru from?

If you plan on getting another Subaru, message me and I will hook you up with my local Subaru dealer.
I went to every Subaru dealer in a 50 miles radius of RI and found one that stands out from the others, in my opinion and experience.

Continue to zealously advocate for your position on this matter or you will be ignored and dismissed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Correction, Anchor Subaru is in North Smithfield and Balise Subaru is in Warwick.

If you plan on getting another Subaru, message me and I will hook you up with my local Subaru dealer.
I went to every Subaru dealer in a 50 miles radius of RI and found one that stands out from the others, in my opinion and experience.

Continue to zealously advocate for your position on this matter or you will be ignored and dismissed.
Ok. Thank you. So where do you recommend buying?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

This whole episode has taken so much time and effort, thats what wears you down. Wanted my daughter to tweet about the problem but she,s so wrapped up in work, health issues following accident, etc. hopefully, still can do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
With today's newer vehicles using Electronic Assisted Steering it is very very possible for the steering to "lock". I mean that figuratively. Unlike the older vehicles with Hydraulic Assisted Steering it was still possible to turn the steering wheel to and steer the vehicle. However with the Electronic Assisted steering, substantially greater force is required to turn the steering, so it could be interpreted as steering is locked. This is one of the reasons why the OP needs to gain access to the "black boxes" from the vehicle to find out exactly what happened to the vehicle.
Hey, I just wanted to thank you for your reply. it sounds like you are a technically savvy car person (unlike myself) and you gave me more ammunition and confidence in dealing with Subaru.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
173 Posts
Ok. Thank you. So where do you recommend buying?
If you plan to purchase another Subaru, I would recommend going to Patriot Subaru in North Attleboro, MA.
Mark Perryman is the owner/general manager, he is a great person. Actually the entire team at Patriot are all great to deal with. Tell them that the guy who has the tricked out Forester Sport with the roof-top tent sent you.

Very pleased with Patriot Subaru. One year post sale of two different vehicles, Patriot Subaru still continues to treat the customer like family.

Daughter bought a 2017 pre-owned vehicle and wife bought a new 2019 Forester Sport. Sales people were knowledgeable about the product, friendly, and did not use bogus sales tactics to entice us into the purchase.

Sales manager was always willing to work with us even after our repeated visits and somewhat insulting low-ball offers we made on the purchase price. Other dealerships were not so inviting after repeat visits.

High marks for the parts and service department as well.
The parts manager always gets the proper factory Subaru parts and accessories for my vehicle at fantastic prices.
I usually do all of my own mechanical work, however after dealing with the technicians and service personnel, I have no reservations about the work being provided.

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
148 Posts
how is it mechanically possible, for the steering to lock?? That would mean when the car was recovered the steering was still locked then?? The brakes locked too?? I find that hard to believe with ABS.
Also youre going to need more than just a technician... you will need an engineer level person to identify exactly how those issues could happen. And if you are asking for that level of compensation... ie class action you'll need alot of dissatisfied model owners.
It would seem that the steering locking would either have to have been a catastrophic failure in the steering hardware, or some other failure which manifested as if steering locked. In the latter I would suppose this could occur if braking activated on only one side of the car which seems unlikely or unfortunately a vehicle dynamics condition that the driver understood to be steering lock. If she was entering a highway I would presume the vehicle was mid turn? Cars are complex systems so you would have to look at all possible root causes not just what the driver's impression suggests.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It would seem that the steering locking would either have to have been a catastrophic failure in the steering hardware, or some other failure which manifested as if steering locked. In the latter I would suppose this could occur if braking activated on only one side of the car which seems unlikely or unfortunately a vehicle dynamics condition that the driver understood to be steering lock. If she was entering a highway I would presume the vehicle was mid turn? Cars are complex systems so you would have to look at all possible root causes not just what the driver's impression suggests.
my daughter had already completed the biggest radius of the turn, and was on a pretty straight path, when the steering wheel turned. But the beeping which had begun earlier did not stop.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
321 Posts
@Susie I’ve read the reports and articles related to the steering wheel debacle. Are you fully aware that those vehicles never reached the market? All vehicles were still under Japan Manufacturer Control. This is not to say that there could not be the potential of some build dates escaping the recall, it’s very possible.

Sounds like a loss of EPS and I agree with others that a loss of EPS makes steering difficult; as though it is locked.
Also, locked brakes? If the ABS activated then yeah it wouldn’t respond to the drivers needs as the vehicle is now in control of the brakes.
Per Subaru, you have the right to request in writing the black box “eyesight” recording. However, the owner must pay for it to be retrieved. Court order is also valid. Law enforcement request is also valid with owners consent; or coupled with a court order.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
@Susie I’ve read the reports and articles related to the steering wheel debacle. Are you fully aware that those vehicles never reached the market? All vehicles were still under Japan Manufacturer Control. This is not to say that there could not be the potential of some build dates escaping the recall, it’s very possible.

Sounds like a loss of EPS and I agree with others that a loss of EPS makes steering difficult; as though it is locked.
Also, locked brakes? If the ABS activated then yeah it wouldn’t respond to the drivers needs as the vehicle is now in control of the brakes.
Per Subaru, you have the right to request in writing the black box “eyesight” recording. However, the owner must pay for it to be retrieved. Court order is also valid. Law enforcement request is also valid with owners consent; or coupled with a court order.

Yes, the ABS activated. Law enforcement that showed up really useless..wouldnt return my phone call. They were just interested in filing an accident report and moving on.
Yes, I,m aware the recall was for 2019 vehicles that were still “enroute” to USA and never reached market. Supposedlt fixed before they ever reached the selling point. And I,m speaking about a vehicle manufactured a few mOnths later, but as Torque News reports, Subaru is overwhelmed by their growth, and by numerous problems with that Japanese factory quality control.
supposedly, Car being checked out this week. Am I happy that Subaru is doing the checking? Not really, but could not find an i depemdant auto mechanic willing/able todo it because its a 2020

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,219 Posts
Please don't trust Torque News to be anything other than click bait.
Best of luck getting to the bottom of this,
Richard

·
Registered
28 Posts
Apparently the steering can fail in many situations as it’s just an electrical wire/component controlled by a computer. The recalled vehicles (over 10,000) in February 2019 were due to failures in the molded plastic steering column that developed gaps. . I have also heard that rodents chew on wires in car engines.

Enclosing article from Motor World regarding 2018 problem.

again... thats the assist of the steering. Same as if a hydraulic pump failed... the vehicle would still be able to be turned by the connected tie rods. Then the brakes simultaneously locking??? I get it... youre emotionally invested in this situation. Im just asking the question as an investigator or engineer would... just facts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Susie

Hello! Are you able (and willing) to share an update and/or whether SOA has responded to your efforts or obtained the vehicle 'data-box'?

How disappointing to know SOA is reluctant to obtain the one thing that may provide evidence to correct a potentially deadly situation; one thing installed that cannot or will not be used AS INTENDED because of the EXPENSE of using it. What then is the point of installiing it in the first place?

I'm really disappointed in SOA from reading your story. Of course I'd like to know their side and see them stand behind their product: At least 'read' the data box. Show us that DRIVER, PASSENGER AND PEDESTRIAN SAFETY IS a true concern, not just empty words to create warm fuzzies.

What say you, SUBARU?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
@Susie

Hello! Are you able (and willing) to share an update and/or whether SOA has responded to your efforts or obtained the vehicle 'data-box'?

How disappointing to know SOA is reluctant to obtain the one thing that may provide evidence to correct a potentially deadly situation; one thing installed that cannot or will not be used AS INTENDED because of the EXPENSE of using it. What then is the point of installiing it in the first place?

I'm really disappointed in SOA from reading your story. Of course I'd like to know their side and see them stand behind their product: At least 'read' the data box. Show us that DRIVER, PASSENGER AND PEDESTRIAN SAFETY IS a true concern, not just empty words to create warm fuzzies.

What say you, SUBARU?

HI.
Subaru did eventually “check” the car. They said “there was nothing wrong”with the car. I requested a copy of the report, but, they will NOT share engineers forensic report. They claim It is a proprietary document, and no one, not the insurance company, nor any parties involved can have access to it.
So, where does that leave us? I would need an attorney, to go any farther. This has already taken up far more of my time and energy than I like. I sincerely hope that there is no major defect, but, I feel that I have done what I can to bring attention to it,if there is. We are extremely disappointed in Subaru,s unwillingness to share this report. Is there something they are hiding?
Perhaps, after this whole Covid debacle, I will renotify the DOT ..NHTSA...and see if they would intervene to view it. When I spoke to them, they seemed to be more of a accident collection agency, with no backbone whatsoever. Probably why it takes years and years for any recalls to take place. Only after scores of accidents and fatalities do they deem it worthy to investigate the reports they receive.
We have a theory (discussed every possibility) as to how this accident might have occurred if there is no major defect in vehicle...
after reading alot of the comments on this site, from people who sound technically “car savvy”, there is one scenario we are thinking could have been a “perfect storm” to allow this accident. Again..we are theorising.
Here goes...it seems that some Subarus require more physical steering wheel muscle, than other vehicles (read in these posts), and might therefore “feel” locked...the Accident occurred on a curve in the road, where the ground surface next to her (outside on the drivers side) was a downward, somewhat steep slope. So, first she heard alot of beeping that did not stop, then the wheel turned sharply to the left in her hands (Lane Correction?) and theN she could not (or did not have the time in a matter of seconds) to put extra needed muscle to correct the wheel back to center road as it was already careening down the slope...she said the steering wheel was totally locked. Was it or did it “feel” that way? Who knows?
Its hard for me to believe, as she is an experienced driver of many vehicle types.
If the ground surface next to her had been flat, or not on a curve, would there have been ample time to “correct”?. IDK. But, in any case, its still a very dangerous situation and makes one wonder about the Lane Correction ability.
I,m just speculating. But I have heard of many people who had frightening experiences when the Lane Activation/Correction physically kicked on( not the sound beeping part, but the actual physical wheel turning). I tell everyone I know to DEACTIVATE it in their own vehicles. Is the technology too new? Has it been tested with every road situation? Is is good on a flat, straight road like a highway but not all driving road situations?
Time will tell.
My daughter ended up with a Post-Concussion Syndrome, having issues with memory,etc. we are working on it. Considering what could have happened, we consider ourselves lucky.
We ended up buying her a Hyundai Tuscan, as the Insurance company paid for the car.
FINALLY....
I will NOT ever purchase a Subaru because this whole process showed us, NO cooperation from Subaru, (ZERO). Not from the car dealer where we purchased( it took countless phone calls and aggravation just to get the money back for the $2500 “top of the line” extended warrantee) nor from corporate, who ignored and belittled the possibility of any problem with a vehicle, and then had the nerve to say they would not intervene with the warrantee refund, that it was strictly up to the dealer.
Actually, in the very beginning, I had basically given up in getting Subaru to investigate the accident, (They were so smug and nonchalant) UNTIL I dicovered that Subaru had a huge recall, February 2019 and closed the entire factory in Japan due to a major steering wheel defect! When I once again called corporate Subaru, and told them I knew of that recall, and was going to blast them on social media, and Sue them, that they started paying attention, an d only then was interested In checking out the vehicle. Then Customer Service called back and tried to smooth things over, “help in any way they could”, were extremely apologetic, etc etc
If they are so blameless, why isnt that REPORT available? Why is an attorney needed to go after it? Honestly I just NEVER FELT THE LOVE! Tom Doll, CEO Subaru America, may have slick advertising campaigns, but theres NO LOVE there.

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
115 Posts
It would see that during testing of the design, Subaru had to measure the force required, at the steering wheel, to control the wheels,in a driving situation requiring the maximum wheel corrective control action. That force, then, to be compared with a requirement specification reflecting the maximum force that the lowest common denominator driver could be expected to be capable of.
Anyone familiar with the auto specs concerning power assist system failure? Is it possible the Forester system is a bit short here?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
267 Posts
So according to this report Subaru Forester Sales Figures
almost 180,000 - 2019 Subaru foresters were sold.. out of those cars, are there any reports ( besides yours) that have had similar issues? That's where I would start. 1 car out of 180,000 isn't going to help you support your claim.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts