Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I’m new to the forum. Hope posting in right place. Daughter (driving for 15 years) bought 2020 Forester Sport. Beautiful car! Driving to work (2 weeks old car), heard beeping(thought lane departure), but beeping did not stop.. entering highway so couldn’t look at dashboard. Suddenly the wheel turned to the left sharply ( lane correction?) and she could not steer the car. Steering locked, brakes locked. Car veered off to left onto embankment and flipped over. Yes, she’s lucky to be alive, thank the dear lord.

But I am terrified that someone else won’t be so lucky, so I am pursuing this full tilt. Sadly, I am Not finding Subaru especially helpful. Yes, they asked for police report, statements, photos, but they are in no rush. i am pushing them to retrieve the data box recorder before the totaled car gets transferred to junkyard. Their response is that I Should preserve vehicle until Subaru decides ( after they gather the documents, they will forward to investigative dept who, after review, will determine what’s warranted) if they even want to see/pull anything from vehicle. So, I should pay for daily storage fees while they take their time about this?? ( I have been emailing them daily for 2 weeks to try to get action).

In light of Subaru's past known steering column probs, I feel they should more aggressively be pursuing this complaint, and get that data box recorder.,Someone could get killed.
Btw.. I had no prior knowledge of Subaru’s steering column probs, until I began researching this after the accident. Both the Subaru dealer and Subaru of North America deny any knowledge of past steering column probs, recalls, any problems at all. The dealer Said “Don’t trust anything you read on the internet.” No matter that reports came from Consumer Reports, many reputable news services, Edmunds, etc.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,886 Posts
Hi, welcome to the boards. Glad your daughter is okay. Now, have you hired a lawyer? Because if you haven't? You should. If you have, I hope they are doing a good job fighting for your daughters rights because something is weird here. Are you only dealing with the dealer or with Subaru of America of wherever you happen to reside. What happened her is just crazy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spoke with 2 lawyers. Both recommended getting an independent auto technician to get info from car and to call them back IF car shows mechanical fault. Otherwise, she wasn’t terribly injured so they are not interested. I pursued the independent auto techs. Apparently, only Subaru can pull the data event recorder. I hired someone to check the computer codes but it revealed nothing. Whatever happened is in the data box recorder and for the safety of others I am trying to get Subaru of North America ( not the dealer) to act quickly.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,037 Posts
@Susie I have a friend that works in Canada for the RCMP and is part of Motor Vehicle Incident Investigation team. He says that the black boxes for all cars are very very proprietor and therefore getting information out is expensive and difficult at best. They in RCMP have to pay big $$$ to get devices to read the information and even then it is not all the data. So you most likely will need to get lawyers, insurance, etc..., involved to push/pursue Subaru America to be forth coming and helpful.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
732 Posts
At the very least, try to get a technician to pull the computer/ECM from that Subaru before it gets destroyed. Preserve all evidence for future claim.

That is crazy. Glad the driver is ok.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
218 Posts
On one hand, I'd like to think that Subaru would want to get to the bottom of what happened for several reasons, but, I don't think that will happen. Since there were no fatalities and the injuries were minor they will probably delay as long as possible and try to get you to loose interest.

Most attorneys are only interested in a large settlement and with out a death or permanent injuries, forget that. Maybe a filing with the NHTSA might at least go on record as to what happened for possible follow up. Good luck with your insurance company and thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,770 Posts
I would bet $1,000,000 the car is not at fault. If you try to sue it will need to be pro bono. Its extremely unlikely you will prevail. You will never get a lawyer to do this. I am not being a Subaru fanboy. Please keep us up to date.
I suspect since you are posting on here only 2 times you will not get back. But good luck..really.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If the brakes locked and there was a crash the eyesight cameras will have stored the last 20 seconds of data. The dealer can pull it supposedly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Susie I have a friend that works in Canada for the RCMP and is part of Motor Vehicle Incident Investigation team. He says that the black boxes for all cars are very very proprietor and therefore getting information out is expensive and difficult at best. They in RCMP have to pay big $$$ to get devices to read the information and even then it is not all the data. So you most likely will need to get lawyers, insurance, etc..., involved to push/pursue Subaru America to be forth coming and helpful.
Thanks for the info, and its what I,m hearing from lawyers and independent auto mechanics. BTW...What is RCMP?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the brakes locked and there was a crash the eyesight cameras will have stored the last 20 seconds of data. The dealer can pull it supposedly.
I forwarded the insurance agent all the articles I found about Subaru steering wheel problems in early 2019.
To ADC....Apparently over 10,000 vehciles were recalled, and the factory in Japan where the Foresters and Outbacks are manufactured had to be closed for a few weeks while the source of the problem was found.
This car was manufactured 6 months later (in Japan). Its very suspicious to me.
The insurance agent claims their engineers will check out the car, but who knows?
Of course the NHTSA has been notified but they will not investigate unless there are numerous complaints.
I called the New Jersey Subaru headquarters office and requested speaking to Tom Doll, the CEO, but of course got nowhere,(not that I expected that to accomplish anything, but I have to do all that is in my power to prevent a fatality down the road)
Will keep you all posted, and thak you for your kind words.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,037 Posts
Thanks for the info, and its what I,m hearing from lawyers and independent auto mechanics. BTW...What is RCMP?
RCMP - Royal Canadian Mounted Police,
There is not a direct equivalent in the United States. They basically are the national police force. They have no Jurisdictional Boundaries. They are the municipal police force for many small towns, ie smaller than 250,000 people. Small towns in Canada unlike the US do not form their own "local" police department.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I forwarded the insurance agent all the articles I found about Subaru steering wheel problems in early 2019.
To ADC....Apparently over 10,000 vehciles were recalled, and the factory in Japan where the Foresters and Outbacks are manufactured had to be closed for a few weeks while the source of the problem was found.
This car was manufactured 6 months later (in Japan). Its very suspicious to me.
The insurance agent claims their engineers will check out the car, but who knows?
Of course the NHTSA has been notified but they will not investigate unless there are numerous complaints.
I called the New Jersey Subaru headquarters office and requested speaking to Tom Doll, the CEO, but of course got nowhere,(not that I expected that to accomplish anything, but I have to do all that is in my power to prevent a fatality down the road)
Will keep you all posted, and thak you for your kind words.
I followed the power stearing issue closely at the time. The fail lead to hard stearing and never the vehicle stearing for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
how is it mechanically possible, for the steering to lock?? That would mean when the car was recovered the steering was still locked then?? The brakes locked too?? I find that hard to believe with ABS.
Also youre going to need more than just a technician... you will need an engineer level person to identify exactly how those issues could happen. And if you are asking for that level of compensation... ie class action you'll need alot of dissatisfied model owners.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
405 Posts
Your daughter's situation is tricky and I hope SOA will do all things to correct the problems if the car is found to be at fault. Pls keep us updated on how things go.

Otherwise, she wasn’t terribly injured so they are not interested.
My wife is a PT and what I learned from her over the period of time, do not admit the quoted part right away. She sees auto crash patients all the time and many times the injury doesn't present itself a few weeks after the crash. I don't know how the insurance works in such cases but should something show up after a few weeks, she needs the coverage.

·
Registered
2020 Forester, Crystal While Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather
55 Posts
First of all, glad the driver was able to walk away.

Really weird and scary scenario for an accident. Short of a massive mechanical failure, my guess would be some sort of impact to the front wheel(s) or suspension which took out both braking and steering. There is so much debris on highways these days, it is surprising such things don't happen more often.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,037 Posts
how is it mechanically possible, for the steering to lock?? That would mean when the car was recovered the steering was still locked then?? The brakes locked too?? I find that hard to believe with ABS.
Also youre going to need more than just a technician... you will need an engineer level person to identify exactly how those issues could happen. And if you are asking for that level of compensation... ie class action you'll need alot of dissatisfied model owners.
With today's newer vehicles using Electronic Assisted Steering it is very very possible for the steering to "lock". I mean that figuratively. Unlike the older vehicles with Hydraulic Assisted Steering it was still possible to turn the steering wheel to and steer the vehicle. However with the Electronic Assisted steering, substantially greater force is required to turn the steering, so it could be interpreted as steering is locked. This is one of the reasons why the OP needs to gain access to the "black boxes" from the vehicle to find out exactly what happened to the vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Apparently the steering can fail in many situations as it’s just an electrical wire/component controlled by a computer. The recalled vehicles (over 10,000) in February 2019 were due to failures in the molded plastic steering column to communicate properly. I have also heard since then that rodents chew on wires in car engines.

Enclosing article from Motor World regarding 2018 problem.

I did not post this incident to upset any satisfied Subaru owners. Of course the company has built a reputation on solid achievements in the safety auto field and the safety of the passenger box probably saved her life. But, as the 2019 steering column debacle/closing of the manufacturing facility in Japan shows... errors can occur, problems can arise, accidents can happen. No one is immune.
I posted my comments to alert Subaru owners, especially hoping to reach new vehicle owners of potential life threatening defect. I very, very strongly feel that, in light of 2019 steering failures “that could cause accidents” that Subaru corporate should have jumped in to investigate pronto. They should not be waiting for numerous accidents/fatalities.
there are also complaints of steering issues by other Subaru owners on:
carcomplaints.com.

So, you not only build a reputation on safety but you maintain that reputation with a serious commitment to investigation of credible complaints.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Apparently the steering can fail in many situations as it’s just an electrical wire/component controlled by a computer. The recalled vehicles (over 10,000) in February 2019 were due to failures in the molded plastic steering column that developed gaps. . I have also heard that rodents chew on wires in car engines.

Enclosing article from Motor World regarding 2018 problem.

I did not post this incident to upset any satisfied Subaru owners. Of course the company has built a reputation on solid achievements in the safety auto field and the safety of the passenger box probably saved her life. But, as the 2019 steering column debacle/closing of the manufacturing facility in Japan shows... errors can occur, problems can arise, accidents can happen. No one is immune.
I posted my comments to alert Subaru owners, especially hoping to reach new vehicle owners of a potential life threatening defect.

I very, very strongly feel that, in light of 2019 steering failures “that could cause accidents” that Subaru corporate should have jumped in to investigate pronto. They should not be waiting for numerous accidents/fatalities.
there are also complaints of steering issues by other Subaru owners on:
carcomplaints.com.

You not only build a reputation on safety but you maintain that reputation with a serious commitment to investigation of credible complaints. Sure, interpretation of credible is a variable, but an experienced driver, on a daily traveled route, not slick or even wet, traveling at normal speeds??? Car flips over??? I’d be listening if I was Subaru corporate.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts