Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Now that it’s starting to get chilly in the northern states, I have a question regarding the climate settings on the STARLINK app. No matter what the temperature outside (as far as I’ve seen so far) whenever I start the ‘20 Sport with the app the A/C is always on. I can set the temperature to 80° and the A/C will still be on when I get in the vehicle. Is there a certain outdoor temperature that needs to be hit before the A/C doesn’t automatically get chosen when starting the car?
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
123 Posts
Hi all,

Now that it’s starting to get chilly in the northern states, I have a question regarding the climate settings on the STARLINK app. No matter what the temperature outside (as far as I’ve seen so far) whenever I start the ‘20 Sport with the app the A/C is always on. I can set the temperature to 80° and the A/C will still be on when I get in the vehicle. Is there a certain outdoor temperature that needs to be hit before the A/C doesn’t automatically get chosen when starting the car?
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
It is more important that your car be as dry as possible inside, when you first enter, than that it be as warm as possible - that's the reason for a/c defaulting to on. To directly answer your question, the thermostat in your a/c system has a set point of something like 36-38deg F at the a/c evaporator, which is necessary to prevent that heat exchanger from accumulating ice. (Car a/c systems don't have "defrost cycles" like freezers do). So that's your direct answer - somewhere below a point in the 30s F. If you don't like the feel of the dryer cooler cabin, you're free to turn off the a/c once you're driving - unless you use (windshield) Defrost.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
739 Posts
The point is: A/C stands for "Air Conditioning". That does not mean "cooling" exclusively. It also removes moisture from the air.

When you put your controls on "windshield", A/Cis also automatically activated. Even in the manual control versions!

Having A/C active doesn't prevent the heater from working.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It is more important that your car be as dry as possible inside, when you first enter, than that it be as warm as possible - that's the reason for a/c defaulting to on. To directly answer your question, the thermostat in your a/c system has a set point of something like 36-38deg F at the a/c evaporator, which is necessary to prevent that heat exchanger from accumulating ice. (Car a/c systems don't have "defrost cycles" like freezers do). So that's your direct answer - somewhere below a point in the 30s F. If you don't like the feel of the dryer cooler cabin, you're free to turn off the a/c once you're driving - unless you use (windshield) Defrost.
And if the air is not dry, the cold windows and areas of the windshield not being directly heated by the defroster will fog up almost immediately upon people entering. It's tempting, but not exactly safe, to start driving right away with poor visibility.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts