Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2020 - Sport Grille Install (Top and Bottom) - reducing the amount of chrome trim!

('19+) 
65K views 122 replies 40 participants last post by  raewu 
#1 ·
When I purchased the 2020 Subaru Forester Limited, I knew I wanted to try and reduce the amount of chrome trim. My end goal is try and make the outside look similar to a 2020 Sport model.

PARTS NEEDED:
1) Cover-Fog Light - $15/ea - (57731SJ040 & 57731SJ0050)
2) Forester Sport Grille (bottom) - All Black - $249 - (J1010SJ102)
3) Grille Assy (top) - All Black - $145 - (91121SJ060)
(Total: $400 for grille (OR) $30 for fog covers)

TOOLS NEEDED:
1) Small Light
2) Small Philips-head screwdriver
3) Long Philips-head screwdriver (w/magnet)
4) 8mm socket screwdriver
5) Plastic trim removal tools

TIME TO COMPLETE:
45 minutes
-----

Here are the only tools I used.

First, I replaced the Limited chrome fog light trim pieces (left) with those from a premium (on car). Another member has done this, too. I did this the day prior, so no install pictures, but it's pretty straight forward. There are a few clips under the front bumper that allow you to get your hands up there. It takes some pressure, but they pop right out.

Once I had the fog covers done, I moved onto the sport grille. This is the before picture.

What I didn't know was the sport grille is actually two pieces (upper and lower grill). I wanted to go all black to get rid of chrome. You can get just the sport grille that has a chrome bezel, but again, I got the full black bezel. This is the bottom portion comparison.

Here are the top portion of the grille comparison of stock to black.

I asked a few members, and seemed like taking off the front bumper wasn't needed. There is a video on YouTube that helps a bit. Here is where are all the screws and clips are.
1) Yellow X and O: Clips to guard behind grille. These clips come out, but just need to move the piece around to get hands in.
2) Red O: Clips holding in grille. Remove all of them.
3) Red X: Two small screws holding small center piece on grille. More on that below.
4) Blue X: Four screws holding grille to front bumper

As a note, once all the clips are out, use your screw drivers and squeeze your hand down to remove the 'Blue X' screws. Once every thing is out, use some force to push/pull the grille out.

Here is the back of the bottom portion to see some of the clips holding it in.

Important part, I almost forgot to put this center piece in. Not sure why it's a smaller single piece, but it has two small screws. I used them from the old grille.

To put it all back, I just reversed all the above. I started with the four 'Blue X' screws and then all of the clips. It's very straight forward. Here is just the bottom portion completed.

Next I went to the upper portion. This I had pretty much zero idea on how to tackle. I started removing the 'Red-X' 8mm bolts. I then used the flat trim removal tool to pop the 'Blue-O' clips off.

(CONTINUED BELOW IN NEXT POST...)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)

Once I had the aforementioned unbolted, I just used a little pressure to pop the all the clips. Here is with the top portion all the way off.

Putting it back on was rather simple. Pressure to snap the clips in and then replaced all the 8mm bolts.

That's it! I am happy with the results. Here is before and after.

And a close up out of the garage.

And at night finished.

I'll probably add the factory LED fog lamps and black sport fog covers soon to finish the look. Would like to figure out the Sport rear painted black pieces too. I have those part numbers, but no idea how to install yet.

Any questions, feel free to ask. And if you need a silver grille or silver fog covers, I have some for sale! :)

#10 ·
View attachment 530512
Once I had the aforementioned unbolted, I just used a little pressure to pop the all the clips. Here is with the top portion all the way off.

View attachment 530513
Putting it back on was rather simple. Pressure to snap the clips in and then replaced all the 8mm bolts.

View attachment 530514
That's it! I am happy with the results. Here is before and after.

View attachment 530515
And a close up out of the garage.

View attachment 530522
And at night finished.

I'll probably add the factory LED fog lamps and black sport fog covers soon to finish the look. Would like to figure out the Sport rear painted black pieces too. I have those part numbers, but no idea how to install yet.

Any questions, feel free to ask. And if you need a silver grille or silver fog covers, I have some for sale! :)
Looks great! Is that a different Sport grill? All the sport models i've seen do not have that honeycomb shape in the grill.

#7 ·
Important part, I almost forgot to put this center piece in. Not sure why it's a smaller single piece, but it has two small screws.
That is for the front facing parking camera, which is available in some markets. I was also looking into getting that installed (with the inexplicable lack of front parking sensors), but not sure if my model would have the necessary hardware to integrate it with the system.

#15 ·
The image that the eBay seller posted was of a lower trim level Forester 2019. The foglite trim on my 2019 Touring is different. The horizontal cross bar is thicker and bisects higher up in the nacelle area because the fog lites on the Touring are rectangular LEDS while the lower trims use a round fog lamp......that's all I meant. The eBay listing specifically says for 2019-20 Limited and Touring trim levels (which is not correct, AT LEAST in the Touring cars).....if you get the frames, and have round LEDS, they'll work.

#18 ·
Yes! You are right. The seller mentioned the Touring trim in the details, which I had not seen. I was only going by the pics and the title. Funny thing is over here the top trim is called "Limited", with the rectangular led fog lights, so it wouldn't fit a "Limited" from my market either 🙃

#28 · (Edited)
Is the top grille portion one piece? I seem to have found a part number for the “wing” that runs horizontally and around the star cluster logo. If it is in two pieces I can theoretically save a couple bucks and just change the top grille wing to black. This would give me the silver bezel but I am mostly pursuing the “floating” star cluster logo look like you’d see on an Ascent.

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
@dubolution
Yours is same color as mine, and looks great! Will try to get the parts down here. Can you share the part numbers please? The grille has a different pattern than the one the OP installed.

Also, I just installed the fog covers to start off. They look pretty decent, not perfect fit though but fairly close for such a cheap and fast fix.

Enviado desde mi motorola one action mediante Tapatalk

#33 ·
@InnocentSmith Thank you! Finding the part numbers for the sport model grille (not the sport grille) was way harder than I thought it would be! The part number for the top grille is 91121SJ060 and the bottom grille is 91121SJ160. I think your fog light covers will look great with it because there is a section of matte black material in addition to the gloss black, so they should compliment each other well. I'm adding fog lights next!

#38 ·
That grille looks way better than the one that came with. Ill buying it soon, and to think about it, while changing the grill, replacing the laughable stock horns will do justice.

#51 ·
Grille and Fog Light replacement on my 2020 Forester Limited. Before and after.

Upper Grille Gloss Black - 91121SJ040
Lower Grille Gloss Black - 91121SJ140

Fog Trim Cover Right - 57731SJ140
Fog Lamp LED Right - 84501SJ000

Fog Trim Cover Left - 57731SJ150
Fog Lamp LED Left - 84501SJ010

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.