Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Finally finished! Had to do it in two steps since the parts came form two different suppliers.

Scary parts:
1 - Popping the top trim clips from the metal. Noisy, managed to not break any clips and no scratches on paint. Right tools as OP suggested are a must!

2 - Popping de flat clips from the lower grill, really scared to break them. In the end it was a matter of wiggling a bit, they were somewhat stuck with dirt.

The two top screws on the lower grill really need a short Philips screwdriver, it was a pain to screw them back in without the right tool.

I am really pleased with the result! Needs a wash though

EDIT: Just realized how crappy my photos look, sorry!
Were you happy with the products you received? How long did they take to come in?

·
Registered
2019 2.5 Dynamic
114 Posts
Were you happy with the products you received? How long did they take to come in?
Yup, both parts were in good shape. Took about a week to receive in a PO Box address in Miami. Bought one from Tasca Parts and the other from Subaru Direct Wholesale. This last one took longer since they had to order the part themselves, so overall 1 week waiting, then another week for shipping time.

Enviado desde mi motorola one action mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I purchased the 2020 Subaru Forester Limited, I knew I wanted to try and reduce the amount of chrome trim. My end goal is try and make the outside look similar to a 2020 Sport model.

PARTS NEEDED:
1) Cover-Fog Light - $15/ea - (57731SJ040 & 57731SJ0050)
2) Forester Sport Grille (bottom) - All Black - $249 - (J1010SJ102)
3) Grille Assy (top) - All Black - $145 - (91121SJ060)
(Total: $400 for grille (OR) $30 for fog covers)

TOOLS NEEDED:
1) Small Light
2) Small Philips-head screwdriver
3) Long Philips-head screwdriver (w/magnet)
4) 8mm socket screwdriver
5) Plastic trim removal tools

TIME TO COMPLETE:
45 minutes
-----
View attachment 530501
Here are the only tools I used.

View attachment 530497
First, I replaced the Limited chrome fog light trim pieces (left) with those from a premium (on car). Another member has done this, too. I did this the day prior, so no install pictures, but it's pretty straight forward. There are a few clips under the front bumper that allow you to get your hands up there. It takes some pressure, but they pop right out.

View attachment 530498
Once I had the fog covers done, I moved onto the sport grille. This is the before picture.

View attachment 530499
What I didn't know was the sport grille is actually two pieces (upper and lower grill). I wanted to go all black to get rid of chrome. You can get just the sport grille that has a chrome bezel, but again, I got the full black bezel. This is the bottom portion comparison.

View attachment 530500
Here are the top portion of the grille comparison of stock to black.

View attachment 530502
I asked a few members, and seemed like taking off the front bumper wasn't needed. There is a video on YouTube that helps a bit. Here is where are all the screws and clips are.
1) Yellow X and O: Clips to guard behind grille. These clips come out, but just need to move the piece around to get hands in.
2) Red O: Clips holding in grille. Remove all of them.
3) Red X: Two small screws holding small center piece on grille. More on that below.
4) Blue X: Four screws holding grille to front bumper

As a note, once all the clips are out, use your screw drivers and squeeze your hand down to remove the 'Blue X' screws. Once every thing is out, use some force to push/pull the grille out.

View attachment 530503
Here is the back of the bottom portion to see some of the clips holding it in.

View attachment 530504
Important part, I almost forgot to put this center piece in. Not sure why it's a smaller single piece, but it has two small screws. I used them from the old grille.

View attachment 530507
To put it all back, I just reversed all the above. I started with the four 'Blue X' screws and then all of the clips. It's very straight forward. Here is just the bottom portion completed.

View attachment 530509
Next I went to the upper portion. This I had pretty much zero idea on how to tackle. I started removing the 'Red-X' 8mm bolts. I then used the flat trim removal tool to pop the 'Blue-O' clips off.

(CONTINUED BELOW IN NEXT POST...)
Hello are you able to put the sites in where you got all your parts?

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5 CVT base model
331 Posts
Got a nudge from someone right on the number plate on my 2020 Forester. Not a hard nudge, but some of those plastic spade type clips just snapped off. The lower grille section now moves in and out a bit.
It looks like a simple task to strip it all down but are those clips replaceable or part of the grille??
I wouldn't want to break off any more of them.
I have noted, however, that the whole grille assembly around the number plate area is flimsy and easily flexed with light finger pressure. Even putting the number plate screws in with force could break those clips. That could have been what happened in the first place.

·
Registered
2020 metallic gray sport
178 Posts
I hope this is the right place....I have a chip already on the chrome ring around the grill badge (maybe it was missed in our new car inspection) anyway.....is there a way to Black the chrome edge of the badge out? It seems gawdy on a black sport grill, that it has a full chrome badge.

I‘m not sure how @patricksmith04 got a full blackout grill when my 2020 sport has the chrome badge?

I‘ve looked and maybe using the wrong search terms, but I would think there is either a vinyl wrap or a plastic black ring that would cover the chrome part....thanks

I haven’t seen parts specifically for a forester....

·
Registered
2020 Premium
20 Posts
Got a nudge from someone right on the number plate on my 2020 Forester. Not a hard nudge, but some of those plastic spade type clips just snapped off. The lower grille section now moves in and out a bit.
It looks like a simple task to strip it all down but are those clips replaceable or part of the grille??
@Surfrat I don't know exactly which clip on the grill you are referring to, but most of the ones on the grille are irreplaceable as they are simply molded plastic. I snapped one of the bottom clips when I was removing my old grille. If you could take a picture of your grille and point to where you believe the clip is broken, that would be a huge help. I have my old grille mounted to the wall of my garage, but I can pull it down to provide a comparison if need be.

·
Registered
2020 Premium
20 Posts
@Possiblefuturebuyer I believe you can actually order the chrome ring/trim directly from Subaru (in chrome or black), but it's going to be a PITA finding that part number. I think I may have come across it when I was searching for my grille, so I'll see if I can find it again. Replacing that trim is also going to be a huge pain. You might want to consider using plastidip/paint as a cheaper option or replacing the entire grille if you're willing to spend the money. Any vinyl/graphics shop should be able to wrap it for you too.

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5 CVT base model
331 Posts
Yes, it is one of the bottom clips. More correctly, I should call them tabs as they appear to be fixed to the grille permanently. (till they snap off!). They appear to have a barb on them which grips into the slot on the bumper cover. They are not robust and do not look capable of surviving disassembly.
That is why I'm reluctant to take it apart as two tabs are snapped off and I may be up for a complete grille replacement for no good reason!

·
Registered
2020 metallic gray sport
178 Posts
Thanks....it’s a shame it doesn’t come from the factory blacked out...

I‘m confused though....there is a YouTube video of a guy with his 2019 sport, and I have a 2020 sport. His front emblem is blacked out around the edge, whereas mine is chrome.....did this change? Is this some option?

Ripped from the video below...

Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Premium
20 Posts
@Possiblefuturebuyer I just realized that I completely misread your initial inquiry. My emblem is the same as yours with the chrome around the logo.

The car in the video replaced his emblem with a kit similar to this one:

You can also find vinyl overlays for much cheaper if you don't want to shell out $59 plus shipping, but I'm not sure that they'll cover the chrome trim piece.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
2020 Premium
20 Posts
Yes, it is one of the bottom clips. More correctly, I should call them tabs as they appear to be fixed to the grille permanently. (till they snap off!). They appear to have a barb on them which grips into the slot on the bumper cover. They are not robust and do not look capable of surviving disassembly.
That is why I'm reluctant to take it apart as two tabs are snapped off and I may be up for a complete grille replacement for no good reason!
@Surfrat Based on your description, this is the exact piece that I broke when removing my old grille. There's definitely no way to properly repair it, although you may be able to just replace the lower piece as opposed to buying an entirely new grille. The link I shared above shows the part number. I would just double check the color before ordering.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@patricksmith04 How did you remove the below?
1) yellow O clips with the Philip screws?
2) red O clips the ones located at the very far left and very far right? I had a super hardtime trying to pull it out with my hands, and tried using a crowbar. Gave up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
@patricksmith04 How did you remove the below?
1) yellow O clips with the Philip screws?
2) red O clips the ones located at the very far left and very far right? I had a super hardtime trying to pull it out with my hands, and tried using a crowbar. Gave up.
1) Yes - yellow with Philips if a screw...and flat head screw driver or clip remover tool if clips
2) Red O Clips on far sides...If memory serves me they're just clips. They might possibly spin, but confident they're just plastic clips. Just a small clip remover tool is all you need. Get above the base of it, as just pulling up on the base won't work - or may break the clip. You need to release the smaller inner part of the clip before pulling up on the base.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1) Yes - yellow with Philips if a screw...and flat head screw driver or clip remover tool if clips
2) Red O Clips on far sides...If memory serves me they're just clips. They might possibly spin, but confident they're just plastic clips. Just a small clip remover tool is all you need. Get above the base of it, as just pulling up on the base won't work - or may break the clip. You need to release the smaller inner part of the clip before pulling up on the base.
@patri
i will go buy Som proper tools. I called Subaru for an appointment, god knows they charge an arm and a leg

·
Registered
10 Posts
View attachment 530512
Once I had the aforementioned unbolted, I just used a little pressure to pop the all the clips. Here is with the top portion all the way off.

View attachment 530513
Putting it back on was rather simple. Pressure to snap the clips in and then replaced all the 8mm bolts.

View attachment 530514
That's it! I am happy with the results. Here is before and after.

View attachment 530515
And a close up out of the garage.

View attachment 530522
And at night finished.

I'll probably add the factory LED fog lamps and black sport fog covers soon to finish the look. Would like to figure out the Sport rear painted black pieces too. I have those part numbers, but no idea how to install yet.

Any questions, feel free to ask. And if you need a silver grille or silver fog covers, I have some for sale! :)
View attachment 530512
Once I had the aforementioned unbolted, I just used a little pressure to pop the all the clips. Here is with the top portion all the way off.

View attachment 530513
Putting it back on was rather simple. Pressure to snap the clips in and then replaced all the 8mm bolts.

View attachment 530514
That's it! I am happy with the results. Here is before and after.

View attachment 530515
And a close up out of the garage.

View attachment 530522
And at night finished.

I'll probably add the factory LED fog lamps and black sport fog covers soon to finish the look. Would like to figure out the Sport rear painted black pieces too. I have those part numbers, but no idea how to install yet.

Any questions, feel free to ask. And if you need a silver grille or silver fog covers, I have some for sale! :)
Thank you very much for the instructions!

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Forester Touring
15 Posts
When I purchased the 2020 Subaru Forester Limited, I knew I wanted to try and reduce the amount of chrome trim. My end goal is try and make the outside look similar to a 2020 Sport model.

PARTS NEEDED:
1) Cover-Fog Light - $15/ea - (57731SJ040 & 57731SJ0050)
2) Forester Sport Grille (bottom) - All Black - $249 - (J1010SJ102)
3) Grille Assy (top) - All Black - $145 - (91121SJ060)
(Total: $400 for grille (OR) $30 for fog covers)

TOOLS NEEDED:
1) Small Light
2) Small Philips-head screwdriver
3) Long Philips-head screwdriver (w/magnet)
4) 8mm socket screwdriver
5) Plastic trim removal tools

TIME TO COMPLETE:
45 minutes
-----
View attachment 530501
Here are the only tools I used.

View attachment 530497
First, I replaced the Limited chrome fog light trim pieces (left) with those from a premium (on car). Another member has done this, too. I did this the day prior, so no install pictures, but it's pretty straight forward. There are a few clips under the front bumper that allow you to get your hands up there. It takes some pressure, but they pop right out.

View attachment 530498
Once I had the fog covers done, I moved onto the sport grille. This is the before picture.

View attachment 530499
What I didn't know was the sport grille is actually two pieces (upper and lower grill). I wanted to go all black to get rid of chrome. You can get just the sport grille that has a chrome bezel, but again, I got the full black bezel. This is the bottom portion comparison.

View attachment 530500
Here are the top portion of the grille comparison of stock to black.

View attachment 530502
I asked a few members, and seemed like taking off the front bumper wasn't needed. There is a video on YouTube that helps a bit. Here is where are all the screws and clips are.
1) Yellow X and O: Clips to guard behind grille. These clips come out, but just need to move the piece around to get hands in.
2) Red O: Clips holding in grille. Remove all of them.
3) Red X: Two small screws holding small center piece on grille. More on that below.
4) Blue X: Four screws holding grille to front bumper

As a note, once all the clips are out, use your screw drivers and squeeze your hand down to remove the 'Blue X' screws. Once every thing is out, use some force to push/pull the grille out.

View attachment 530503
Here is the back of the bottom portion to see some of the clips holding it in.

View attachment 530504
Important part, I almost forgot to put this center piece in. Not sure why it's a smaller single piece, but it has two small screws. I used them from the old grille.

View attachment 530507
To put it all back, I just reversed all the above. I started with the four 'Blue X' screws and then all of the clips. It's very straight forward. Here is just the bottom portion completed.

View attachment 530509
Next I went to the upper portion. This I had pretty much zero idea on how to tackle. I started removing the 'Red-X' 8mm bolts. I then used the flat trim removal tool to pop the 'Blue-O' clips off.

(CONTINUED BELOW IN NEXT POST...)
My people! Thank you patricksmith04 for developing this thread. I recently purchased a 2021 Subaru Forester Touring trim model that I want to remove all possible traces of chrome trim on. I will use this thread as my beginning point. Im very grateful for your thoughtful work.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
2,989 Posts
Colebaru: FYI, if you have a Touring Forrie, the fog lamp black replacements are not as inexpensive as the $15- parts shown.....I'm seeing black replacement parts on eBay at $50/side or more......the fogs on the Touring are squarish LED NOT round........the parts are expensive enough for me to not do the swap....and I hate all that el cheap bling crap on the Touring models but will have to live with it.......

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Forester Touring
15 Posts
Colebaru: FYI, if you have a Touring Forrie, the fog lamp black replacements are not as inexpensive as the $15- parts shown.....I'm seeing black replacement parts on eBay at $50/side or more......the fogs on the Touring are squarish LED NOT round........the parts are expensive enough for me to not do the swap....and I hate all that el cheap bling crap on the Touring models but will have to live with it.......
Thanks for the heads up. I found the same to be true. It’s so annoying that we are buys cheap plastic detail components at these prices but I guess they figure that newer owners will.

I called my salesperson at the dealership and asked if they gave new car buyers a discount. He offered his of 10% to me which will help a bit.

some folks have recommended black wraps but this doesn’t seem like a great idea to me as these areas of the car get pitted by rocks and gravel.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts