Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport CVT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started on my camping set up with a solo sleep platform for the 2020 Sport today. It feels pretty good. I can't wait to get out and give it a test sleep. LOL. I have plans for the "second half" for when my wife comes along. I decided to build modular in order to have options. I also went longer than 6' since I'm 6' tall and wanted those extra inches. This requires putting the passenger seat all the way forward and full forward tilt. I could have built closer to 6' long and the seat would have been in a decent, ride-able position. A little over $30 in the build. Other pieces and parts are in the plans;
  • second half of the sleep platform.
  • a pull out table idea for under the tail end of the sleep platform
  • side and rear awnings (I have most all of the pieces for this in my existing camping gear. I just need to work out a few things.)
this build was inspired by Softroading the West. Check out Donald's Instagram and YouTube channel.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport CVT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife and I do some tent camping and will continue with that for the time being. (We have 4 tents for different situations and different size groups.) the kids are all grown and out on their own so if they come along they have most of their own stuff. Sometimes I go with a group of friends where I sleep solo. For these trips I usually take my small backpacking tent. I figured this is easier, quicker and actually more comfortable than my small 2 person tent. I drove into work today with everything in place - no rattles or shifting and could see without any obstructed view having the passenger seat all the way forward. Looks like I'll be able to travel with it in place, get my gear out when I get to our final destination and be set to sleep in no time. Also, with your head toward the front you can star gaze out the moon roof at night. I think I'm really gonna like this set up.
Cat.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport CVT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The front rests on furniture slides. Bits of 2x4 for supports towards the back section and a leftover piece of 3/4” plywood on a hinge for added head board support. I added another piece of 2x2 inline with the 2x4s on the torso half as it needed something to keep it from rolling a bit when getting out the passenger side door.
I bought 2 pieces of 3/4” x 2’ x 4’. I left them full 24” wide.
Head/torso section. 43” long x 24” wide. Notched to fit around the center console. I built it long because I’m 6’ and wanted room. The head support was going to be a couple of 2x2 but I used a leftover piece of the 3/4” plywood so I could hinge it. Length was 18-1/2”.
Head/Torso section: I used adhesive furniture pads where the plywood contacts the seat back. The risers/supports for the lifted end are 2x4s at 2-1/2” toward the back and 2-5/16” toward the front to account for the slope of the folded down seat back. Play with placement to get it level. They fit right along the bottom edge of my seat back protector.
Rear/foot section: length was cut to fit behind the seat when it’s up. So I can have it in place if I need to use the back seat. There’s a bit of slope near the seats and that’s why I cut the supports to be angled on the bottom. (see the pic/drawing) The two near the back gate are the same at 5-7/8”. I used my cargo tray to trace a curve To match the back when closed. I rounded all edges with a 1/4” round over bit in my router.
Thanks for the compliments. I used a lot of odds and ends I had laying around. I think I have about $30 in the whole build. And I stole the concept from Mr. Donald. He has a great YouTube channel. Softroading the west. Check him out. Have fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport CVT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The front rests on furniture slides. Bits of 2x4 for supports towards the back section and a leftover piece of 3/4” plywood on a hinge for added head board support. I added another piece of 2x2 inline with the 2x4s on the torso half as it needed something to keep it from rolling a bit when getting out the passenger side door.
I bought 2 pieces of 3/4” x 2’ x 4’. I left them full 24” wide.
Head/torso section. 43” long x 24” wide. Notched to fit around the center console. I built it long because I’m 6’ and wanted room. The head support was going to be a couple of 2x2 but I used a leftover piece of the 3/4” plywood so I could hinge it. Length was 18-1/2”.
Head/Torso section: I used adhesive furniture pads where the plywood contacts the seat back. The risers/supports for the lifted end are 2x4s at 2-1/2” toward the back and 2-5/16” toward the front to account for the slope of the folded down seat back. Play with placement to get it level. They fit right along the bottom edge of my seat back protector.
Rear/foot section: length was cut to fit behind the seat when it’s up. So I can have it in place if I need to use the back seat. There’s a bit of slope near the seats and that’s why I cut the supports to be angled on the bottom. (see the pic/drawing) The two near the back gate are the same at 5-7/8”. I used my cargo tray to trace a curve To match the back when closed. I rounded all edges with a 1/4” round over bit in my router.
Thanks for the compliments. I used a lot of odds and ends I had laying around. I think I have about $30 in the whole build. And I stole the concept from Mr. Donald. He has a great YouTube channel. Softroading the west. Check him out. Have fun.

View attachment 535379
Oh yeah, be forewarned, if you use an old house door hinge like I did for the head board support, the hinge screws are too long and will stick through the 3/4" plywood. you'll need to have some shorter screws.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts