Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Forester and new to Apple CarPlay. In general new to the awesome tech in today’s cars. My last car purchase was 2006. My post might have already been asked and responded to in the past but could not find it easily.
When I connect my iPhone via USB, whether I am using the car play features or not, it always alerts me when I exceed the speed limit. When it alerts me it also turns of the radio. Is there any way to turn it off? I have no idea if this is a STARLINK setting, Apple Maps setting or XM Sirius setting. Any advise would be helpful.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
228 Posts
How are you alerted? Via the car speakers? Is it a verbal alert? Are any apps, such as Waze, open on your iPhone? I’ve not had this happen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the obvious solution is not to speed and yet......:) I am not a lead foot but sometimes I exceed the speed limit by a few miles.
I get the alerts on the car speaker but I don’t know which app alerts me to it. It a verbal alert in a woman’s voice. One of those Siri types. I am not actively using any app. I am not asking maps any directions. The only two actions I am doing are connecting my phone to the car via USB and turning on Sirius XM. I do see that Apple CarPlay is automatically activated and ready to use but I am not using it. The biggest annoyance is that the alert interrupts and stops the radio every time it comes on.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
25 Posts
Maybe try to rule out the phone by not connecting it, not even by Bluetooth. Also, speed alerts can be enabled through the STARLINK system, although I’m not sure if this gives a verbal warning in the vehicle or just provides a notification via email/text.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
228 Posts
I'm stumped. Perhaps try changing the voice on your map app to see if it changes your mystery voice.

Does it require Sirius, or does it also happen listening to FM?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When the iPhone is not connected via USB I do not get the verbal speed alerts so the phone is definitely involved. Turning off speed information in Apple Maps was the obvious choice but it did not help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm stumped. Perhaps try changing the voice on your map app to see if it changes your mystery voice.

Does it require Sirius, or does it also happen listening to FM?
Changing the voice to try to find the origin of the app is a good idea. I will try that and report back. Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
25 Posts
You could also try disabling Maps notifications altogether. It appears like we’ve at least determined that the phone is the source. Do you have the MySubaru app?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could also try disabling Maps notifications altogether. It appears like we’ve at least determined that the phone is the source. Do you have the MySubaru app?
Yes, the verbal alerts happen only with the phone connected. I thought about turning sounds and notifications off on Apple Maps altogether but at times when I am using the maps I want it to give me verbal directions. Yes, I have the MySubaru app.
By the way, we are going to have the first snowstorm of the season so my brand new forester is safely ensconced in my garage and it’s not going anywhere. I will use it like a Forester is meant to be in its second week.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
228 Posts
This problem made me curious about Starlink speed alerts, a feature I've never had a need for. Good thing because it's not working. Will call Starlink support tomorrow. For those that suggested Starlink as a source of the OP's problem, Starlink (should) send speed alerts to your phone, email, or push notifications for exceeding a speed you have pre-selected. It's a feature for keeping tabs on your kids driving habits. If there's a way for Starlink to chastise you for exceeding the road's speed limit through the car's speakers, I haven't found it.

The post below mentions a speed alert, except it's not via the speakers and was limited to the Australian models.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
134 Posts
The only place I've seen an option for speed warning is with the Subaru App for the phone. Take a look at that and you should find out how to disable the alert. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@DrunkenMermaid I came to the same conclusion today. I was just about to post it when I saw your post. I am glad to know that I am not the only crazy guy having that issue.
I turned off Siri which disabled CarPlay in the car but the verbal alerts still continued. Then I deleted the STARLINK app and the verbal alerts stopped. Confirmed with the dealer that my SOS feature is independent of the app so I don’t really see any benefit to keeping the app. Good riddance.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to Forester and new to Apple CarPlay. In general new to the awesome tech in today’s cars. My last car purchase was 2006. My post might have already been asked and responded to in the past but could not find it easily.
When I connect my iPhone via USB, whether I am using the car play features or not, it always alerts me when I exceed the speed limit. When it alerts me it also turns of the radio. Is there any way to turn it off? I have no idea if this is a STARLINK setting, Apple Maps setting or XM Sirius setting. Any advise would be helpful.
I have a 2020 Forester, but use Android and have not seen this. Likely this is a function of your iphone map application. You could try to load Google maps on your iphone, make that the default application and see if this solves the problem. I'm not advocating using the google maps application, this step should simply help you identify where the "issue" originates.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
228 Posts
@DrunkenMermaid I came to the same conclusion today. I was just about to post it when I saw your post. I am glad to know that I am not the only crazy guy having that issue.
I turned off Siri which disabled CarPlay in the car but the verbal alerts still continued. Then I deleted the STARLINK app and the verbal alerts stopped. Confirmed with the dealer that my SOS feature is independent of the app so I don’t really see any benefit to keeping the app. Good riddance.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
Interesting. There are two apps for the Subaru: MySubaru, which supports Starlink , and Subaru Starlink. I've not used the latter. Is that what you deleted?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 2020 Forester, but use Android and have not seen this. Likely this is a function of your iphone map application. You could try to load Google maps on your iphone, make that the default application and see if this solves the problem. I'm not advocating using the google maps application, this step should simply help you identify where the "issue" originates.
Currently the issue has been "resolved" by deleting the StarLink app.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts