Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start a minor sound deadening project on my 2020 Forester and thought others might be interested to follow.
My previous vehicle was a BMW and was quiet on the highway, I obviously knew I would lose this going to a Forester but even so the noise level seems excessive especially coming from the doors/windows and the wheel wells.

I am going to install sound dampening pads to all of the doors by taking off all door panels and installing on all the bear metal, then I am going to spray a rubberized spray underneath all the wheel wells. The rubberized spray is not made to reduce sound specifically but does reduce it as a secondary benefit and it is cheap and easy to do.
I am only adding sound deadening material to the doors and possibly other easy to reach areas because I do not want to get all of the carpet out of the ground, that is a pretty big project from what I have seen. Door panels are easy to take off.

Expecting the doors to take about 45min each ( take door panel off, install matts, door panel back on)

Wheel wells 45min each first layer (taking tire off, cleaning, dry, spray) Wait an hour between each layer, doing two layers.

Again, I am well aware this is not optimal but if I can get just a 10% decrease in noise that's a victory for me.
For the low time commitment, room for mistakes/easiness and low cost I am hoping it will be worth it.

Planning to be done by mid July and will post results by end of July.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,996 Posts
If you think any of the noise could be coming from tires, they would be easier but costlier to change.
I thought my 2008 had too much road noise when new, and it mostly came from the tires. At 3,500 miles I sold the OE Yokohama Geolandars and replaced them with Michelin Primacy MXV4, which made the car quiet.
Even with the old frameless windows, I find the 2008 Forester to be as quiet as our 2016 Impreza on the road.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@vintage42 Ya, tires to make all the difference. I still have the stock Ecopias on but i am going to upgrade those to TOYO At 3s next year which I know wont do any favors for tire noise lol.
In this case the spray on stuff is more just an experiment, if it lessens just a little then its worth IMO, we shall see!

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5 Premium, Black
72 Posts
Under the rear seat cushion and the rear spare tire well areas are easy to get to. If you havnt already, you might want to think about door speaker upgradse since the door panels
are coming off.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5 Premium, Black
72 Posts
@LukasB Options?
For sound deadener I used: a peal n stick rubber flashing w/foil backing Lowes/Home Depot (cant remember the brand, blue packaging)
For speakers (2017 Forester): fronts Sony XS-FB6930 6"x9"
rears Pioneer TS-G650 6" round
dash tweets: Rockville RTS silk dome 1"
These speakers were inexpensive and efficient/sensitive (can drive them with stock power).
Note: looking at the stock speakers for the 1st time will make you laugh out loud.
Keep in mind for the 2017 I also got various adaptors and wire connectors.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,885 Posts
@LukasB welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Please complete your "Public Profile"! Not completing your Public Profile could result in your thread(s) being closed... locked or your thread post(s) being deleted!
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
19' Limited
99 Posts
@vintage42 Ya, tires to make all the difference. I still have the stock Ecopias on but i am going to upgrade those to TOYO At 3s next year which I know wont do any favors for tire noise lol.
In this case the spray on stuff is more just an experiment, if it lessens just a little then its worth IMO, we shall see!
If noise is at all an issue AT tires are not a great idea imo. I got the terrain contact at since they are supposed to be the "quietest" at tire, but I found they are still pretty loud and went back to an all season. They are great in every other way though. I did sound deadening on doors, trunk, floors, and the tires still made the biggest difference. I didn't rubberize the wheel wells though so that might be worth trying.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All finished and here are the results
Did testing before and after at the same speeds and same stretch of highway on the way to work, all conditions the same.
Before dba lvl was 71.3
After dba was 66.8
So only like a 7% difference the phone is picking up, but as a driver and passenger there is a bigggg difference.
The sounds that do come in are much less harsh to the ear, it also makes the stereo sound much better and more clear.
Big improvement to noise in the back seat, actually recently got complimented from a friend sitting in the back how quiet it was .

I also did the spray on rubber liner in the wheel wells. Although I think it decreased tire noise a little bit its main benefit has been driving on gravel roads. When I kick up rocks its no longer sounding like they are clanking off of bare sheet metal because that is basically what it was in the wheel wells, so well worth doing that IMO.

Overall really easy project, taking the door panel covers off is easy and easy to put back on. Took me start to finish 30min each door, more like 50min for first door as I was figuring it out.
rear seat only took 30min and the spare tire area only line 20min.
Spraying the liner in wheel wells was super quick- cleaning took the longest.
I didnt get too detailed on covering every square inch I could, I just made sure to cover most of the big naked areas with material.

Overall need about 25 sq ft of material to complete project doing the doors, under back seat and spare tire space, I way over purchased.
and for the wheel wells need 1 can per wheel to do 3 thin layers.
Materials listed in first post.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am about to start a minor sound deadening project on my 2020 Forester and thought others might be interested to follow.
My previous vehicle was a BMW and was quiet on the highway, I obviously knew I would lose this going to a Forester but even so the noise level seems excessive especially coming from the doors/windows and the wheel wells.

I am going to install sound dampening pads to all of the doors by taking off all door panels and installing on all the bear metal, then I am going to spray a rubberized spray underneath all the wheel wells. The rubberized spray is not made to reduce sound specifically but does reduce it as a secondary benefit and it is cheap and easy to do.
I am only adding sound deadening material to the doors and possibly other easy to reach areas because I do not want to get all of the carpet out of the ground, that is a pretty big project from what I have seen. Door panels are easy to take off.

Expecting the doors to take about 45min each ( take door panel off, install matts, door panel back on)

Wheel wells 45min each first layer (taking tire off, cleaning, dry, spray) Wait an hour between each layer, doing two layers.

Again, I am well aware this is not optimal but if I can get just a 10% decrease in noise that's a victory for me.
For the low time commitment, room for mistakes/easiness and low cost I am hoping it will be worth it.

Planning to be done by mid July and will post results by end of July.
Results have been posted!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
261 Posts
I think those are decent results, you didn't go crazy and I bet it is a lot quieter. Great job btw, I really like the look of that product.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,118 Posts
All finished and here are the results
Did testing before and after at the same speeds and same stretch of highway on the way to work, all conditions the same.
Before dba lvl was 71.3
After dba was 66.8
So only like a 7% difference the phone is picking up, but as a driver and passenger there is a bigggg difference.
The sounds that do come in are much less harsh to the ear, it also makes the stereo sound much better and more clear.
Decibel is a log scale, so from 60dB to 70dB is a doubling, just like it would be from 10 dB to 20 dB, or 100 dB to 110 dB. So 7% number reduction, but a whole lot more to the ear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Decibel is a log scale, so from 60dB to 70dB is a doubling, just like it would be from 10 dB to 20 dB, or 100 dB to 110 dB. So 7% number reduction, but a whole lot more to the ear.
Learn something new every day! thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts