Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am constantly leaving my phone in my car. I'll be using Android Auto and once I get to my destination I'll just hop out and forget my phone is plugged in.

Ideally I'm looking for some sort of smart alert that recognizes I'm at my destination, and just reminds me to unplug my phone and grab it.

-----

I do have a solution, but it seems to only work maybe ~50% of the time, not sure why. I found an automation app for Android called MacroDroid and have the following setup (I'm no expert, this was me just throwing something together).

Trigger
- Device disconnected from the cars bluetooth

Actions
  • Volume change (100%)
  • Vibrate rapid
  • Play MP3 from the movie Hot Rod - Babe wait
  • Wait 20 sec
  • Volume change (0%)
  • Vibrate enabled
I'm trying to have my phone play the MP3 as I open my door and am just about to leave my car to then be reminded I'm forgetting my phone. But like I said, it's a bit hit or miss when it works, not exactly sure why.

Any suggestions? One thought is to just remember to grab my phone...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use Android Auto too all the time. But I love my ASUS R.O.G. Phone 2 too much too ever forget it, it is always with me. Well one day I might leave it in my Forester but I doubt it. I just have this mentality since I love all my Android phones.

I might need to check out that app tho, TY and good luck! :)

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
241 Posts
Well the 2020 alerts you to check the back seat for kids before you leave the vehicle. Maybe you can associate that message with your phone? It's interesting, my 17' Golf R alerts me to not forget my phone.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
439 Posts
A reminder app for iPhones would be nice as well. Checked the App Store and nothing remotely close surfaced. Nothing in the phone notification settings either. Seems like a simple alarm app for when the Subaru Bluetooth disappears would be a nice solution. Not that the car doesn’t beep enough already...

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,462 Posts
Just buy a Garmin watch...alerts you when your watch disconnects from the phone...I can only make it about 50 feet before I'm alerted so I always know if I left my phone somewhere. The watch will also send an alarm to the phone so you can find it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just buy a Garmin watch...alerts you when your watch disconnects from the phone...I can only make it about 50 feet before I'm alerted so I always know if I left my phone somewhere. The watch will also send an alarm to the phone so you can find it.
Hmm, wonder if my Samsung Active Watch 2 can do that. Good suggestion to check. Or hopefully it comes in an update. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
You should purchase a bluetooth tracker. It keeps in communication with the phone and whatever the tag is attached to.
When the bluetooth link is broken...a warning sound emits from either the phone or the tracker itself.
Here is the link:

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
138 Posts
Hmm, wonder if my Samsung Active Watch 2 can do that. Good suggestion to check. Or hopefully it comes in an update. :)
Probably. I have the Samsung Gear S3 watch and it beeps when it loses the BT connection to the phone. Of course that happens when I'm 30-50 feet away from the car and I have to turn around and get it.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
19 Posts
Leave your key fob with your phone so you remember to grab both. If you forget your key the car will alert you when you go to lock it from the door handle.

You can setup boundary alerts within MySubaru to alert your phone when you get home, work ,etc. but I haven't tested how accurate this feature is or if it is delayed.

There is an option for "Customize Screen Off Image" so just create an image with the text "DON'T FORGET YOUR PHONE" and load it via a USB drive.

I like icyykv's suggestion best though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Probably. I have the Samsung Gear S3 watch and it beeps when it loses the BT connection to the phone. Of course that happens when I'm 30-50 feet away from the car and I have to turn around and get it.
Yep mine does that too, confirmed.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited Auto
14 Posts
I am constantly leaving my phone in my car. I'll be using Android Auto and once I get to my destination I'll just hop out and forget my phone is plugged in.

Ideally I'm looking for some sort of smart alert that recognizes I'm at my destination, and just reminds me to unplug my phone and grab it.

-----

I do have a solution, but it seems to only work maybe ~50% of the time, not sure why. I found an automation app for Android called MacroDroid and have the following setup (I'm no expert, this was me just throwing something together).

Trigger
- Device disconnected from the cars bluetooth

Actions
  • Volume change (100%)
  • Vibrate rapid
  • Play MP3 from the movie Hot Rod - Babe wait
  • Wait 20 sec
  • Volume change (0%)
  • Vibrate enabled
I'm trying to have my phone play the MP3 as I open my door and am just about to leave my car to then be reminded I'm forgetting my phone. But like I said, it's a bit hit or miss when it works, not exactly sure why.

Any suggestions? One thought is to just remember to grab my phone...
Try the Waze app. Driving Directions, Traffic Reports & Carpool Rideshares by Waze
Aside from being great for nav. given real time updates by users (police, red-light cameras, stuff on the road, traffic, etc. etc.) it has a feature called something like a Baby Reminder - you type a custom message into this feature, and when you arrive at your destination Waze reads it out audibly. It works great, and it's a lot of fun to leave something embarrassing on your spouses phone...

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited, Magnetite Gray Metallic
15 Posts
A reminder app for iPhones would be nice as well. Checked the App Store and nothing remotely close surfaced. Nothing in the phone notification settings either. Seems like a simple alarm app for when the Subaru Bluetooth disappears would be a nice solution. Not that the car doesn’t beep enough already...
Someone on the Shortcuts subreddit has accomplished this using an automation in the Shortcuts app. You can replicate their automation to make your phone play a sound or say something when CarPlay disconnects, though Apple doesn't allow Shortcuts automations to run automatically for a Bluetooth disconnect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can use the Tasker app from the Google Play Store. Have it play a sound the second it loses connection to the car's Bluetooth. I use it for automating certain things when my phone connects and disconnects from the car.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
439 Posts
Thanks @tsquared ! I'd not heard of the Shortcuts app, but will give it a try. Might have other uses for it as well, after briefly looking over the subredit.

Edit: It works! Took me a bit to figure out since the subreddit assumes you know how to use the app, but not too bad. Thanks again. Now my phone plays a sound when CarPlay disconnects (ignition off). Will figure out how to have Siri say "don't forget your phone" when I have more time to play with the app.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts