Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some strange reason I am thinking about getting the STI Aero kit for my 2020 Forester Touring.
I am not sure if anyone has purchased and installed these on their SK Forester. One can purchase the entire kit from
japanparts.com. only the front lip spoiler is available in the US.... I think this may effect the ground clearance a little too.

Curious is anyone has tried this or if anyone has opinions.... thanks Ira

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester SK9
35 Posts
Planning to go a similar route, but could only find 2 of the pieces of the kit that are in the US.

STI Side garnish
Part Number: E2610SJ040

STI under spoiler - front
Part Number: E2410SJ050

Japanparts.com has it all, but shipping is expensive. Hoping some US vendors will ship some over but most likely the prices will be set at a premium.

·
Registered
2019 canadian convenience
306 Posts
Personally, I don't like the front and side garnish. Pretty expensive for such small pieces, especially since they are very subtile.
As for the front lip, meh... Look like a plow of some sort. I'd prefer some sort of full length under lip like the SG or SJ.

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
4,653 Posts
Adding the front under-spoiler parts will impact the ground clearance - but only on the front bumper. The rest of the underside of the car will be the same clearance. This would also impact your approach angle (the angle from the front tire to the bottom of the bumper) by a bit, possibly leading to impact issues on some inclines or if you ever go off-road.

The side and rear under-spoilers will do the same - impact the clearance and the angles (break over and departure) if you go off-road. If your Forester will only be a mall marauder, then you should have no issues.

In the side ads on this site, I have seen some dealer that offers an "STI" Forester trim package - but I've never clicked the link to see what it is all about. May be a dealer back east... Annapolis is sticking in my head but...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Adding the front under-spoiler parts will impact the ground clearance - but only on the front bumper. The rest of the underside of the car will be the same clearance. This would also impact your approach angle (the angle from the front tire to the bottom of the bumper) by a bit, possibly leading to impact issues on some inclines or if you ever go off-road.

The side and rear under-spoilers will do the same - impact the clearance and the angles (break over and departure) if you go off-road. If your Forester will only be a mall marauder, then you should have no issues.

In the side ads on this site, I have seen some dealer that offers an "STI" Forester trim package - but I've never clicked the link to see what it is all about. May be a dealer back east... Annapolis is sticking in my head but...
Craig , thanks good summary or pros and cons. Not convinced i want to go that way, but wanted some objective thoughts. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Just my personal opinion but I don't think the cost / effort is worth the end result. Those pieces simply don't complement the car that much. It might be a different story for a Forester that was lowered with other modifications geared toward that kind of look but otherwise they just don't do anything for me. ....not like some of the other accessories that might ruggedize the look instead while perhaps providing real world benefits.

I had an '03 WRX which I installed a JDM STi grille on. Huge impact on the way the front end of that car looks with the STi grille vs. the USDM one. .....the latter is 3 pieces and more horizontal while the STi is one piece with a bit of a rake that blended in with the front bumper. It didn't look like a "stuck on" accessory but rather part of the design.

Anyhow, that's my own personal opinion but what counts is how you feel about these accessories and making your car your own.

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
4,653 Posts
For those that have not seen it - this was the STI aero package in JDM for 2019 (and presumably 2020)...

From the Tokyo Auto Show (2018)

In black and (presumably) in a showroom.

The TorqueNews site has done 2 different stories on the STI Forester (about it being the one you want) and one alludes to how they COULD make it better with the 2.4 DIT turbo (which probably won't happen soon).

·
Registered
2,190 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
4,653 Posts
Yeah, the headlight washers are cool and are offered in other parts of the world (where they maybe required) but just not in North America.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
is around $200 for a very large set of boxes from Japan crazy shipping? You can easily pay that for any oversized package shipping in the US.....

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
24 Posts
Got it from JDMparts.com really quick considering everything going on. Got the parts in an official Subaru box with a receipt from Subaru Japan. Only 2 weeks from Japan. Had to slightly drill another hole to make the Subaru body panel clip fit. But it’s a great fit.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts