Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We moved from an Outback to a 2020 Forester this year. I've self installed the Subaru OEM remote starter twice and had the service department
program the computer to accept the FOB's
My question is most I hear is that the OEM remote start's aren't very good and no distance. The other option is to use the Starlink setup but that would be the only reason to upgrade to the phone app remote start. What ever the rest of the functions of Startlink I'm not really interested in it. Option #3 is to have a shop install their remote starter. They say it will reach a lot further distance to start the car. Both remote starter FOB's only start the car and give you no choice of hot/cold settings etc. From what I gather, the Starlink will let you turn different options on while the car heats or cools before you get to the car. In my readings I've seemed to find that you can get the upgrade service at 50% off $150/$75 I certainly don't want to go year by year because the discount might not be there the next year.
Any thoughts, experiences for which option you might have gone with? I'd like to get a long term subscription with Starlink but really don't want to spend much more that the non factory remote's cost ($350)
Thanks for you help, Mark

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
We have been using the MySubaru app to remote start my wife's car, lock/unlock the doors in some situations, etc. I also heard about the relatively short distance of the remote starter so I doubt we will ever consider it. .....also, I was a bit confused by some of the options as one of the setups seems to have it's own remote start remote vs. using the FOB?

Anyhow, the app has been working great and has no distance limitations. However, the car needs to be in a place where the signal can reach it so some areas (e.g. possibly parking garages, etc.) may not work.

In my own car (Dodge Challenger), my remote starter works great. It's tied into the FOB and has a really long reach. As far as setting the climate control, you do have to remember to set it up before you leave the car. If you do get one for your Forester, this is something you just get used to doing on hot days, etc. In my car, I just set the fan on high before I get out to help cool the car faster when it's remote started.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We chose the MySubaru app option. Both of us can use the app vs. sharing a remote start device or purchasing two. And neither of us wanted to carry another device in our pockets.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
642 Posts
The MySubaru solution is really slick. Lock, unlock, start, stop, climate control. Once running I just get in, tap the brake and touch the start button and ready to drive. No need to turn the car off and restart. (With keyless push to start)

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport
23 Posts
I didn't like paying a subscription or the idea that it isn't forever like an installed remote start... but, I love being in a store and starting the vehicle without having to run outside or to the door, etc. On the ride in the airport shuttle, the car is waiting at a comfortable temperature, because it goes over cellular, rather than short range radio.

Another thing is that the car is full of computers that run checks (burning power) and the fuel system runs regular pressure checks (buzzing at weird times when parked), so if it sits for long, the battery dies. I can use the cellular remote start to crank it up twice before it locks out and that may be enough to keep the battery from being dead when I am on long trips.

Adjust the temp, rear defroster...

"Did I forget to lock the doors?" - Check the vehicle status or just lock them again.

A friend needs to drop something off? Unlock the vehicle remotely.

Love having options... 🤓

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, I went with the mysubaru app, took the free 6 months trial and before it expires I'm going to purchase the 7 yr plan for $375. Might as well check it out before going for the big package. I'd rather pay for it all at once than to have reoccurring payments.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
159 Posts
Anyone been able to "negotiate" the price when they had to renew? I have a couple of years but just wondered

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
185 Posts
I live in the North. Can I get the remote starter to run longer than 10 minutes ?
Yes! They just recently updated the MySubaru app to allow for 20 minutes of run time.

Living in Northern IL that was one of my gripes - 10 minutes was not enough to melt ice on the windows when it was 0 degrees or below.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts