Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
That small fob is for Subaru add-on remote start not for Starlink/phone start. It's for long distance start without climate settings. I've had both and the small fob is inferior in every way I can think of.
Inferior in all ways except for one: I don't have to pay a darn subscription fee to use the FOB. Nothing irks me like dropping $30-$40K on a vehicle and then have to pay the manufacturer an annual subscription fee to use all of its features.

Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
Inferior in all ways except for one: I don't have to pay a darn subscription fee to use the FOB. Nothing irks me like dropping $30-$40K on a vehicle and then have to pay the manufacturer an annual subscription fee to use all of its features.
True that, I don't like it any more than you do.............but you have to buy the add on remote start accessory for ? $3-4-5 hundred bucks for one feature? My subscription cost me $370 for seven years. That's pretty much a push.

Remotely I can lock/unlock the doors, set climate control, change how long the car stays running, track vehicle location and start/stop with no distance limit. I get visual verification the car actually started. I get a lojack style locater so police can immobilize vehicle if stolen. (Nets small discount on insurance) I can request all the roadside service stuff without a phone. If I get in an accident and am unable to respond Starlink will send help. I get alarm notification on my phone. Plus all the multi-media stuff.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but the best part of all is I don't have to carry around a second fob everywhere. I'm at the age where I might be dead in seven years so I bought the 10 yaer Gold Plan too.:) As always YMMV. Mine sure did.

Registered
2019 Forester Sport
I receive an insurance discount for the starlink services too. Insurance is always asking if I still pay the subscription to continue the discount. I'm getting a discount of 2.03 USD a month.

Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
True that, I don't like it any more than you do.............but you have to buy the add on remote start accessory for ? $3-4-5 hundred bucks for one feature? My subscription cost me $370 for seven years. That's pretty much a push.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but the best part of all is I don't have to carry around a second fob everywhere. I'm at the age where I might be dead in seven years so I bought the 10 yaer Gold Plan too.:) As always YMMV. Mine sure did.
Agree. I got lucky and the dealer threw in the remote start on my deal at no cost. Also, if you have push-button start, you don't need to carry the extra FOB, the regular push-button start FOB will remote start it.

Registered
My wife and I just bought 2 Foresters last week, mine a limited and hers a Touring. 2 days ago, I tried the remote start and I receive a message stating the request failed and a vehicle health alert stating that the Starlink emergency services are not available.

I have tried this from both phone and computer. Funny thing is, remotely locking/unlocking doors, flashing lights, and sounding the horn all still work. It is just the remote start.

On my wife's Touring, all that is working just fine.

I read another thread somewhere that the dealer had the car for weeks and could never figure out the problem. If that is the case, I will trigger the Texas lemon law and demand a refund or swap out for another unit, since I have less than 100 miles on the vehicle. (It is going to dealer on Monday).

Has anyone else had this experience?
It has Corona #19 !

Registered
2019 Forester Touring

Remotely I can lock/unlock the doors, set climate control, change how long the car stays running, track vehicle location and start/stop with no distance limit. I get visual verification the car actually started. I get a lojack style locater so police can immobilize vehicle if stolen. (Nets small discount on insurance) I can request all the roadside service stuff without a phone. If I get in an accident and am unable to respond Starlink will send help. I get alarm notification on my phone. Plus all the multi-media stuff.

I've had remote start on my cars for 20 years or so. One of my biggest annoyances was having to remember to set the climate controls for defrost in the winter before I shut off the car when parking for the night. But you could never set it for rear defrost on startup. So in the winter with ice on the windows, the front would be easy to brush off but the back would still be frozen solid and take a good while to scrape off. And then there was always the issue of needing to have a reasonable line of sight for them to receive the signal. I love the climate control options of the Starlink remote, plus as mentioned, my auto insurance went down and offsets most of the subscription cost.

Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
............ And then there was always the issue of needing to have a reasonable line of sight for them to receive the signal. I love the climate control options of the Starlink remote, plus as mentioned, my auto insurance went down and offsets most of the subscription cost.
+1. You nailed it. And with Subaru without Starlink you need the second fob for extended distance.

Registered
Well, it turns out that, though the vehicle was registered with Starlink, the immobilizer was not registered to something. Here is what the dealer put on the work order:

"Inspected and found had dtcB2a16 for immobilizer key collation refer tab 15-251-19R to perform DCM IMMOBILIZER REGISTRATION"

Whatever that means.

Anyway, it is working fine now.
I鈥檓 having he same issue with my new 2021 ascent. Remote engine start via MySubaru app worked for the first week, then stopped. All other commands (doors/lights/etc) still work. Have you had any more problems? Think I need to take it in to dealer or is this something they can fix remotely ?

Registered
I鈥檓 having he same issue with my new 2021 ascent. Remote engine start via MySubaru app worked for the first week, then stopped. All other commands (doors/lights/etc) still work. Have you had any more problems? Think I need to take it in to dealer or is this something they can fix remotely ?
Do you receive any kind of message, or does it appear to work, but the car just does not start? You might want to try using a web browser (mysubaru.com) and see if there are any messages that might not show in the app.

Registered
Do you receive any kind of message, or does it appear to work, but the car just does not start? You might want to try using a web browser (mysubaru.com) and see if there are any messages that might not show in the app.
Yes. I get error message: 鈥渟tarlink not available at this time. Please try later鈥. Lights flash once, but it does not start. And again, the strange thing is that all other commands work via app. Engine start also worked for first week of ownership, but then stopped. And yes, I tried from laptop, from windows computer via MySubaru.com. Didn鈥檛 work either

21 - 30 of 30 Posts