Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just bought 2 Foresters last week, mine a limited and hers a Touring. 2 days ago, I tried the remote start and I receive a message stating the request failed and a vehicle health alert stating that the Starlink emergency services are not available.

I have tried this from both phone and computer. Funny thing is, remotely locking/unlocking doors, flashing lights, and sounding the horn all still work. It is just the remote start.

On my wife's Touring, all that is working just fine.

I read another thread somewhere that the dealer had the car for weeks and could never figure out the problem. If that is the case, I will trigger the Texas lemon law and demand a refund or swap out for another unit, since I have less than 100 miles on the vehicle. (It is going to dealer on Monday).

Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.0i CVT Auto. NA
3 Posts
Hey,
This might sound crazy but I would disconnect the positive (+ve) battery terminal, wait 2 minutes or thereabout; then put it back. That "resets" stuff. Of course you do this with the engine off and everything turned off to avoid causing trouble with something else.
If the reset doesn't "reboot" things then there's more trouble that the dealer should figure out or replace the vehicle with a fully functional one.
All the best!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,
This might sound crazy but I would disconnect the positive (+ve) battery terminal, wait 2 minutes or thereabout; then put it back. That "resets" stuff. Of course you do this with the engine off and everything turned off to avoid causing trouble with something else.
If the reset doesn't "reboot" things then there's more trouble that the dealer should figure out or replace the vehicle with a fully functional one.
All the best!
Thanks for the advice, though with the car being so new, I am not sure I want to muck around in the engine compartment, lest the dealer blame me for messing things up! Otherwise, I would try that!

·
Registered
49 Posts
There have been posts about this randomly occurring. One thing to check, since yours has never worked - make sure the right VIN displays on the My Starlink Account page. When I purchased my 2019, a dealer error, or system glitch, caused both my VIN and that of another Forester, probably sold by the same dealer the same day, were displayed. My remote functions worked fine, but I have to assume the other owner was not having much luck. I did not try to start the other car <g>. Suburu removed the other VIN after I called them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There have been posts about this randomly occurring. One thing to check, since yours has never worked - make sure the right VIN displays on the My Starlink Account page. When I purchased my 2019, a dealer error, or system glitch, caused both my VIN and that of another Forester, probably sold by the same dealer the same day, were displayed. My remote functions worked fine, but I have to assume the other owner was not having much luck. I did not try to start the other car <g>. Suburu removed the other VIN after I called them.
Thanks. Just checked and they match. A random occurrence I can deal with as I figure it is probably a network or server issue, but the fact that it hasn't worked from the start is disconcerting. Hopefully it is just a reflash of the firmware or at worst replacing a defective part.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
324 Posts
There has been some discussion that it could take up to a full week (or more) for StarLink series to fully activate. Specifically that the smaller actions like lights and doors work before the remote start will work.

Suggestion:
Reset the infotainment system - hold down the power button for at least 10 seconds.

Have you tried calling StarLInk service? They would be able to check things on their end, check connectivity, check for errors, etc. They will typically ask you to also press the StarLink button while you have them on the phone (you would immediately tell the operator that you are testing the service and the you are on the line with StarLink service). This will allow them to test connectivity and if they can "see" the vehicle. With these test working, one would assume it isn't an equipment problem. (You have confirmed some of this with noting that the lights and the door locks are working).

I would work through some of these simple things before taking it to the dealer. It might save you a trip, or, if it doesn't work you could inform them of which troubleshooting items haven't worked.

A quick Google shows that over on the Ascent forums some people have had to have their headhunts replaced, or the data module replaced, or both.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
191 Posts
@KevinKenyan he's got a different type of remote start unfortunately. It's an app that connects to the vehicle although there is an option for a remote start keyfob.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I called Starlink and they were very nice, but could not help much. Resetting the infotainment system didn't make a difference.

One other thing I did notice, triggered by the comment about pressing the SOS button and testing the system, is that the little light next to it is yellow and pushing it does not do anything. I am thinking it is a hardware/software problem in the car itself.

Before we bought these, I checked Consumer Reports and the only area of concern they had on reliability was the in car electronics. Guess they were right.

Off to the dealer it goes on Monday. I just hope they can fix it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,453 Posts
Well, I called Starlink and they were very nice, but could not help much. Resetting the infotainment system didn't make a difference.

One other thing I did notice, triggered by the comment about pressing the SOS button and testing the system, is that the little light next to it is yellow and pushing it does not do anything. I am thinking it is a hardware/software problem in the car itself.

Before we bought these, I checked Consumer Reports and the only area of concern they had on reliability was the in car electronics. Guess they were right.

Off to the dealer it goes on Monday. I just hope they can fix it.
I would venture to bet that it's an activation issue...not a car electronics issue. If the light isn't lighting up, then it's not yet activated. You need to call Starlink. I know others that had a similar experience and it was all related to the Starlink activation.. The CR reliability issues are related to the RADIO and only the radio as there have been several updates to fix various issues with the radio...nothing more than that. CR groups all of these "minor" issues into electronic reliability which is very deceiving.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
191 Posts
You can also ask them to update the radio. I know the Aha! app doesn't work for me and I don't have the option to connect to home wifi. The dealer refused to update at first (saying it was only something I could do for some reason) so I just told them the radio was resetting randomly and they updated it for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to Starlink, I am fully activated. They told me, and I saw it in the manual, that the yellow light next to the SOS button means that there is a fault in the car. I guess I will find out.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
527 Posts
Oh really? The dealer didn't mention that. I would really rather have the key fob!
That small fob is for Subaru add-on remote start not for Starlink/phone start. It's for long distance start without climate settings. I've had both and the small fob is inferior in every way I can think of.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
847 Posts
According to Starlink, I am fully activated. They told me, and I saw it in the manual, that the yellow light next to the SOS button means that there is a fault in the car. I guess I will find out.
The good news is that your problem is consistent and not intermittent. That should make it easier to resolve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it turns out that, though the vehicle was registered with Starlink, the immobilizer was not registered to something. Here is what the dealer put on the work order:

"Inspected and found had dtcB2a16 for immobilizer key collation refer tab 15-251-19R to perform DCM IMMOBILIZER REGISTRATION"

Whatever that means.

Anyway, it is working fine now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife and I just bought 2 Foresters last week, mine a limited and hers a Touring. 2 days ago, I tried the remote start and I receive a message stating the request failed and a vehicle health alert stating that the Starlink emergency services are not available.

I have tried this from both phone and computer. Funny thing is, remotely locking/unlocking doors, flashing lights, and sounding the horn all still work. It is just the remote start.

I read another thread somewhere that the dealer had the car for weeks and could never figure out the problem. If that is the case, I will trigger the Texas lemon law and demand a refund or swap out for another unit, since I have less than 100 miles on the vehicle. (It is going to dealer on Monday).

Wow that's scary. I just had my 2014 Forester in for a real repair and they gave me a brand new top of the line Outback as a loaner and it had that remote starter. I told my husband I would not feel comfortable with that because of system failures. So are these on all models or just the tippy top of the line? Or is it an option?

·
Registered
2019 White Forester, Replaced a 2009 Forester
24 Posts
Two things: One, if you have the Starlink app on your smart phone, my neighbor had a great deal of trouble with it with her CrossTrek. After leaving it at the dealers for two weeks, they finally asked her do you have that app? We can't find a thing wrong with your car. She did, uninstalled it and now loves the car.

Two, when you park and drop your keys for the night, do not leave them close, according to the manual need to be at least six feet from the car. You can get interaction there, and it will also run down the battery of the keys... (The manual shows that there are lots of antennas on and in the car. Also, with the antenna inside you can not lock the keys inside. My wife left hers in her backpack under the Tonneau after a hike and I could not lock the doors.)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Automatic
7 Posts

if you are using Starlink app for remote start, they sent out a memo about this. If you havent driven the car for a couple days or weeks, the system goes into a “sleep” mode. You have to go and manually press the start button. Once on, keep the car running for about 5 mins. When you done either your trip or your 5 mins, turn off and lock the doors with the app.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts