Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Looking to install a rear hitch on my Forester 2020 to set up a cargo carrier. No towing, just to carry gear in a cargo box less than 300 pounds. Etrailer recommended ‘Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class II - 1-1/4".

Has anyone installed this hitch on a 2020 Forester?Does it require any changes to the car, like cutting a hole in the bumper, lowering exhaust etc.?

Are there any other hitches that might suit better for my needs with easy installation?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
586 Posts
@Sandy21183 Welcome.

Search the forum and you'll find tons of discussions on this exact topic.

Here's a few:
https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/tongue-weight.30694/
('19+) - 2020 - Aftermarket trailer hitch?
('19+) - 2020 - Draw-Tite hitch and Bike Rack

Consider a 2" receiver as it widens the range of potential accessories that will fit. Not as many fit the 1.5" receiver.

You probably know this, but it bears mentioning. The Forester's tongue weight limit is 150 lbs. (This is for the 2019 and should apply to 2020. Check your owner's manual.) That number trumps hitch capability. This means the cargo box plus the weight of the gear should add up to no more than 150 pounds.

I can't comment on the draw tight. Installed an ecohitch, which is a whole 'nother topic.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
289 Posts
@boureesub linked some threads that should have you off to a great start.

The Draw-Tite hutch will require lowering the exhaust for installation and cutting the muffler heat shield.

Spend some time on the e-Trailer website. Watch the installation videos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed the draw tite on my 2019 and so far have only used the cargo carrier basket. Installation was easy, used the videos on E-Trailers site while under the car. Had a friend help me and using hand tools it took us abt 1 hr. The only negative with the aftermarket hitches and cargo baskets is that the basket will sit directly behind the exhaust - and likely damage your gear. I purchased a 6" riser to lift my basket and all is well.

·
Registered
2016 Foz CVT
943 Posts
Note the max tongue weight is not what the hitch specs are.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
300 pounds, plus the cargo carrier? That well and truly exceeds the 150 pound tongue weight limit.

I tow a motorcycle which weighs 278 pounds, and use a trailer, keeping the tongue weight to less than 40 pounds.

Probably a roof top carrier might be more prudent. For 2019 the Forester has a greatly increased roof capacity.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
A hitch carrier is often a poor choice for simple engineering reasons. When a bump or dip is hit the load on the carrier is magnified, transferring a considerable amount of torque to the hitch. If the hitch isn't oversized to support the load, something must give. This doesn't happen the same way with a trailer because the trailer supports the load with suspension. Any dynamic torque imposed on the hitch is minimal, with the exception of hard braking. Frankly, with the 1,500 pound limit imposed by Subaru, that braking load is minimal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd watch tongue weight. that freaks me out more the tow weight.

I just installed a Curt Saturday. I putzed around with it spent about 2.5 hours. But that was a lot of do this have a coffee then do that and have a coffee. So easily under an hour if I was focused. I went class II since my last 2 or 3 were, no need to go rebuy all the bits and pieces. I tow a Seadoo or a utility trailer, either around the block or across country.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,004 Posts
300 pounds, plus the cargo carrier? That well and truly exceeds the 150 pound tongue weight limit.

I tow a motorcycle which weighs 278 pounds, and use a trailer, keeping the tongue weight to less than 40 pounds.

Probably a roof top carrier might be more prudent. For 2019 the Forester has a greatly increased roof capacity.

@RawLand what's the brand on the trailer you use. It looks interesting, as I am looking for something similar. Thank you.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
I made my own trailer from the components used in the MotoTote hitch motorcycle carrier.

In reality, I didn't save any money over buying some store bought trailer. What I did get was an ultra strong and ultra lightweight trailer. Purpose built to carry motorcycles, but could easily be modified to carry other powersport toys.

I have learned valuable lessons though, as there were mistakes in component purchases which needed to be replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts