Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what people use this for... feel like I need to plug something in.

► Edit - moderator's note - edited the thread title, for clarification, from "cigarette lighter" to "cargo area 12V outlet".

Bobby...

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,668 Posts
@CoolDadSubie
Do you also feel the need to have something plugged into every outlet in your house?
;)
It's there as a convenience feature, IF you need power.
With a small compressor, it makes reaching the rear tires for a fill up much easier.
It also makes it a lot easier airing up a trailer.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
428 Posts
We have a small 12v vacuum and an air mattress pump.

·
Registered
2017 SubaruForester Sport
131 Posts
How many amps is the rear accessory outlet? Couples days ago i burned my dash cigarette fuse while inflating a tire that was with "zero pressure". Dash cigarette fuse is rated at 10amp If i'm correct.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,962 Posts
@Panamanian Strangely the owner's manual does not show a fuse for the accessory outlet in the cargo area, only for the instrument panel outlet (10 amp) and the console box outlet (20 amp). On my 2010 I too had a problem blowing a dash outlet fuse (more than once) with a portable air compressor. However, I never blew a fuse when using the console box or cargo area accessory outlet. So I always assumed that the cargo outlet was either a 15 or 20 amp fuse.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,690 Posts
The 14-18 shop manual shows 20 Amp Fuse 13 in the fuse panel down by the left footwell. YMMV, but at least it's a precedent for how Subaru feels about this outlet

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
975 Posts
I've had the same experience as others with the front outlet fuse blowing when powering a small portable compressor so now use the rear outlet.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i (Base) CVT
142 Posts
So I have the stock Subaru battery, we all know the issues with those. I am not confident that it will run anything (like a pump), am I just being paranoid?

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium
108 Posts
Some air pump instructions recommend using it with the engine running. Also, the approximately 14 volts will make the pump faster. The rear outlet in my 2019 runs a small pump just fine.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i (Base) CVT
142 Posts
Thanks for the feedback... that's what I thought.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@DragonSubie7 My recent smart home IoT obsession has me using most plugs in the house 😅

I was considering getting a vacuum just for the car, but not sure if it's worth it... I assume my handheld Dyson would work better

·
Registered
2017 XT
30 Posts
I wired it to a hot wire and use it for charging things while camping. I wired this to a hot wire vs the ones in the front seat so that I don't forget about a charger being plugged in resulting in a drained battery.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
633 Posts
Air pump when I need it (not feeding quarters to a terribly slow gas station pump) and normally for a rear dash cam.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts