Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had both a 2019 Limited and a 2020 Touring. On both vehicles, I’ve experienced the Eye Sight emergency braking (usually when someone is turning right into another road or driveway and my vehicle doesn’t think I can go around them by a few inches, etc. I now know better and how and when to apply the brakes to avoid that.

On the Touring, I have the rear brake assist. The first one I test drove at the dealer had this and activated it while we were taking it off the platform in front of the showroom. Basically we just got a little too close to a post (that we would have cleared, but it didn’t think so) and activated. Then today as I was backing into a spot, it thought the trash can lid was going to hit me (it wasn’t; I was going to miss it by an inch). Regardless, it activated.

My question is, why are these systems SO LOUD? I get that slamming on your brakes going 30 miles an hour will make some noise. But the systems make the same noise if you’re going forward at a decent speed or if you’re about to back into something at 1 MPH.
It’s hard to describe, but besides the electronic beeping and stuff, there is this rather horrible grinding sound accompanied by another mechanical noise that I can’t find words to describe.

I know that slamming on your brakes will make some noise. And some of the noise is probably the anti-lock brake system in conjunction with full-force braking. But it really sounds quite horrible and like your entire vehicle is never going to drive right again.

Here are my actual questions:
1) What is making all that noise?
2) Why is it so loud?
3) Has anyone had an issue where their vehicle didn’t perform as well after one of these emergency braking scenarios? I just can’t get over the sense that my engine or axels or something is going to fall apart after this has happened.

I know there is a general explanation in the manual, but just wanted to get other owner’s perspectives.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
727 Posts
1) What is making all that noise?
The hydraulic pump for the ABS, and the ABS system pulsing the brakes before the wheel lockup.
2) Why is it so loud?
Because it is. Mechanical parts make noises

I suggest you take your car to a little used street and practice maximum braking so you get used to doing this and the noises it makes. Studies have found that many drivers never brake hard enough to activate ABS when faced with disaster possibly costing them their lives, or sustaining permanent injury. Don't become one of those statistics.

Check the road is clear of traffic and accelerate to 30-40 mph then apply the brakes as hard as you can. Really stand on them until the car stops. Wait 5 minutes for the brakes to cool and repeat until you are comfortable doing it. It won't hurt your Forester, indeed can be good for the braking system by deglazing the pads.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
“It won’t hurt your ForesterExcept for the part where you warp the rotors... according to my mechanic husband.

The 2019 and 2020 Foresters have maximum brake assist built in, so even if the human doesn’t slam on the brakes as hard as they should, the system will do it for them (for the same reason you mention, that studies show people don’t actually fully depress their brake pedal).

I agree that the noise is the ABS system, but it just feels like it is louder than any other ABS system I’ve encountered and a lot mor tortuous and seems odd when only going 2 MPH in reverse. It is what it is, and my 2019 survived at least 3 or 4 of the emergency braking scenarios before I learned how the Eye Sight system dealt with slow turners in front of me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi fellow forester owners,
I got mine last month and twice already the forward collision system has kicked in to brake when it wasn't warranted. Both at slow speeds. First time it was when car in front of me was turning left and I let my car coast as the car in front of me was going to be long gone before I got to it. Even though there was enough space between that car and mine, the brake kicked in. Second time was when there was about 4 car length space between two cars in the right lane, I needed to make a right turn so I turned on my blinkers. The car let me get in the right lane. However eyesight saw the car in front of me and panicked, and kicked on the brakes. I fear if this was at a higher speed and/or the car behind me didn't slow down it could've caused an accident. Anyone encountered this behavior?

Thanks

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,183 Posts
I'd suggest giving the system the benefit of a doubt. It has been pretty thoroughly tested. You don't by chance live in the Boston area. We recently returned there to visit our daughter and my home town. Our daughters driving habits there were an eye opener. She used to be a such gentle southern girl.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi @SuperRu ,
I live in Atlanta and have not been driving aggressively. I have a 4 mile commute and am babying my forester. I am also hoping the mpg on first tank of gas ends up being higher than it is now, 21 at half tank. So driving gently for sure. Good to know folks have faith in the system. I was beginning to think that it's not able to handle heavy traffic situations.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,183 Posts
Hi @ Savvyforester
We are DT Atlanta and have a 19 OB Limited with just about the same safety systems. None of the isues you are seeing. We get are getting 21 mixed with the 3.6R.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts