Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Base
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned the rattle to my dealer who said it's "normal" for Subaru to rattle!

Generally, I hear the rattle when driving around town, where I primarily drive, doing between 20-40 mph and below 2,000 rpm

The noise sound like its coming from the glove box, which is empty. I looked under the hood where there are shrouds on both sides of the engine the move easily when touched, and I suspect are the cause of the rattle. I have used duck tap to secure the shrouds, limit their movement, but was unable to eliminate their movement. The rattle has gotten better, less, but it's not gone.

Anyone know what purpose these plastic shrouds serve. They don't appear to do anything but rattle!

My dealer is useless. Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Car Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,385 Posts
Are you certain it’s coming from that area ?
Maybe just check its not the hard plastic vanity mirror flip up cover vibrating against the mirror on the visor as was the case for my rattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Lineartronic® CVT
406 Posts
My rattle was due to the lower under floor plastic sheilds most forward bolts shoulders being longer than the plastic. Rubber washers fixed, took total 4, used 10mm socket.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport/2018 Crosstrek Prem
317 Posts
Those shrouds are for cosmetic and prevent water from running down the inner fender which is not painted. I would suggest you pick a nice sunny day, take both side shroud off and see if the rattle is gone. I am suspecting it maybe something else behind the glove box that is not secured. Like the cabinet filter. Good luck.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,439 Posts
Check also the A-pillars - there had been issues with the SJ and the area where the dash speakers, the dash panel and the A-pillar trim meet up.

I'd also suggest taking a member of the service staff on a test drive so that they can hear the sound. The Forester should still be covered by the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty and - even if they say it's normal - it should be looked at and fixed if it is a rattle. Now know that there are some sounds that are inherent with a flat-4 motor (a growl) that some may not be used to and may consider a rattle or something.

If the dealer does not want to repair what is an issue, go to another dealer and/or get Subaru of America involved.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
3 Posts
Those trim pieces cover the gap where fender bolts to bracket. If you suspect they are the source of the rattle yuo can remove and cut a piece of eggshell foam to fit. A dab of silicon on the bracket will hold foam secure and reinstall trim.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Ironman
317 Posts
2 things I've noticed on mine that cause a rattle ( Sport) version. The sunroof cover backs away slightly and the passenger seat belt flipped around the metal taps the plastic, those are the most annoying so far.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,567 Posts
I’ve experienced the sunroof cover rattle, too. Re-closing and re-seating it resolved the rattle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts