Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking all kinds of advices/suggestions

This is my first post here, and I hate to be so negative. but you will see why...

In 10/6/2019, I purchased a brand new 2020 Forester Touring.
In 10/11/2019, I saw all indicator light went on, and determined it was not safe to drive, then immediately called dealership & Subaru road assistance
In 10/13/2019, tow truck came to my house. Since I parked my car in a community detached garage, (and I always park my car in the garage), I drove out my car out of garage. After I drove it out, I sensed there was unusual gas smell. Then, I traced back to my garage, I saw the gas leaking on the ground, and the leaking trace as I drove it. What was even worse, after the truck drive towed my car onto the deck, the gasoline was not only leaking, but spraying all over.
In 10/14/2019, the Service Dept. performed a preliminary investigating, that all of those damage are caused by rat(s). At first, they thought the rat(s) bit the wiring harness and fuel line.
In 10/15/2019, I went to dealership to check how bad it is. They then opened the engine hood, and found more places have been bitten. It look like the rat(s) bit all
The technician said that the new car use more eco-friendly material made of soy, which might potentially attract rodents. He also said he had seen rat damage before, but it is his first time to see this bad for this new car. It's unbelievable to him too, but it happened.

I can NOT imagine this could happen to me. It's only 1 week new car… I feel completely desperate and helpless…
The initial estimate for wiring harness and gas pipe is already 3k. Including the damage parts in engine chamber, I guess it's going to be around/over 10k!! I have filed the insurance claim, but it's not approved yet.
I can only hope the best the insurance approves the coverage, and there is nothing else major been damaged...
But.. is there anything else I could do? I put rat repellent in the garage, but I don't know if it is a good idea to still park my car in garage even I did so. Also, it's also unknown if it is rat or squirrel.
Anyways, any advice/suggestion is appreciated.

Car: 2020 Subaru Forester Touring

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
17 Posts
Oh Man. That problem made my crappy day at Subaru today seem like nothing. High oil consumption. I would probably end up in a rubber room if your situation happened to me. I feel for you. Time to put rat poison out. That happened to many people I know but not a brand new car.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Wow car parts made of soy..
That does seem like a stupid thing to do. What's next, tires made out of a wheel of Edam cheese?

I wonder whether you could protect your car by keeping it lit up. Perhaps park it in your garage but eave the hood up and hook bright work lights up such that it lights the entire thing up. They do not like light.

Does anyone else in your complex have a rodent problem?

Edit: out of curiosity, I asked google. Apparently rodents don't like peppermint oil. I wonder whether you could spray that stuff on your garage floor to keep them away.
Or maybe put peppermint oil in those automatic scent dispensers, where it spritzes it out periodically and place that in your garage.

Not sure what I'd try, given the same circumstances. That has got to suck. Sorry about your troubles.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking that too but you'd have to set, clean and rebait them all the time. That's not a fun activity.

How about a walk the plank trap?
The videos of that mechanism look promising. The trap resets itself after the mouse/rat is captured.
Probably not the most humane way of killing something but you gotta do what you gotta do, I think.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
793 Posts
Tapes treated with capsaicin (the hot in peppers) can be used to wrap your wiring and are avaiable online and from dealers. Not cheap. The problem has been around for years, although some blame it on when soy was introduced in the manufacture of wiring insulation. Unsuccessful class actions were initiated against Toyota and Honda.

A friend living 20 miles from me is plagued with harness hungry squirrels. He and the county ag agent don't know why the squirrels in his area include wiring in their diet, while the same species in my area stick to acorns. We theorize there's some sort of mineral deficiency in his neck of the woods. He keeps his garage sealed tight, and uses electrified chicken wire around his outside vehicle.

Google "squirrels ate my wiring".

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
719 Posts
Incredible damage.
AGREE! One week into ownership in your usual parking spot. I've had cottontail and mouse damage on past vehicles; rat would be ugh. I'd suggest you mentally change and seek total money back from your insurance company or Subaru.

If manufacturer, the principle of "Merchantability," from my one course in Consumer Law in college, in which a product needs to be appropriately manufactured for its intended purpose.

Money back, I'd then buy a different brand vehicle - assuming I could find a different insulation compound. Even buying a very good late used car if necessary.

In the meantime rat poison or hire a strong hunting cat ... ugh for the whole situation!

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Repellent? Poison and traps!
Actually, the more that I think about it , the more "shock and awe" the better. So repellent under and on the car , traps and bait away from, but close by.
The big box stores sell ground chili pepper in big jars that could be scattered about,, maybe a shot of Bearspray all over the parking pad and on the undercarriage,tires would help , also, but I don't know how long it lasts.

Any trash in the area needs to be dealt with, as well as notifying other "parkers" of this issue.

Get everyone involved!

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,752 Posts
If there is no poison in the area, how about getting a rescue stray/part ferrel cat?
If you have allergies, perhaps a King Snake? (They're non venemous) and put a heat pad under your car? Should only take a week tops to deal with the problem, then take the snake back to the seller.
That damage is horrific but I guess will only get worse......

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
How about putting metallic tape around the proximity of the car in a rectangular shape, maybe an inch apart.
Electrify it with a high voltage but low current - maybe use the guts out of one of those bug zappers from Harbor Freight but rig it to a power wort with the circuit on all the time.
Bait the inner rectangle with peanut butter.
Not sure whether it will kill a mouse but it will definitely give him something to think about.

Just turn it off when you bait it because it will make you remember when you didn't. :)

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,752 Posts
How about putting metallic tape around the proximity of the car in a rectangular shape, maybe an inch apart.
Electrify it with a high voltage but low current - maybe use the guts out of one of those bug zappers from Harbor Freight but rig it to a power wort with the circuit on all the time.
Bait the inner rectangle with peanut butter.
Not sure whether it will kill a mouse but it will definitely give him something to think about.

Just turn it off when you bait it because it will make you remember when you didn't. :)
Perhaps overkill but electric fence charger/power supply ?
You would only forget to switch it off once.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seeking all kinds of advices/suggestions

This is my first post here, and I hate to be so negative. but you will see why...

In 10/6/2019, I purchased a brand new 2020 Forester Touring.
In 10/11/2019, I saw all indicator light went on, and determined it was not safe to drive, then immediately called dealership & Subaru road assistance
In 10/13/2019, tow truck came to my house. Since I parked my car in a community detached garage, (and I always park my car in the garage), I drove out my car out of garage. After I drove it out, I sensed there was unusual gas smell. Then, I traced back to my garage, I saw the gas leaking on the ground, and the leaking trace as I drove it. What was even worse, after the truck drive towed my car onto the deck, the gasoline was not only leaking, but spraying all over.
In 10/14/2019, the Service Dept. performed a preliminary investigating, that all of those damage are caused by rat(s). At first, they thought the rat(s) bit the wiring harness and fuel line.
In 10/15/2019, I went to dealership to check how bad it is. They then opened the engine hood, and found more places have been bitten. It look like the rat(s) bit all
The technician said that the new car use more eco-friendly material made of soy, which might potentially attract rodents. He also said he had seen rat damage before, but it is his first time to see this bad for this new car. It's unbelievable to him too, but it happened.

I can NOT imagine this could happen to me. It's only 1 week new car… I feel completely desperate and helpless…
The initial estimate for wiring harness and gas pipe is already 3k. Including the damage parts in engine chamber, I guess it's going to be around/over 10k!! I have filed the insurance claim, but it's not approved yet.
I can only hope the best the insurance approves the coverage, and there is nothing else major been damaged...
But.. is there anything else I could do? I put rat repellent in the garage, but I don't know if it is a good idea to still park my car in garage even I did so. Also, it's also unknown if it is rat or squirrel.
Anyways, any advice/suggestion is appreciated.
View attachment 525076

View attachment 525078

View attachment 525079

View attachment 525080

View attachment 525081

View attachment 525082

View attachment 525083

View attachment 525084

Car: 2020 Subaru Forester Touring
You drop a wrench on the two strips and it will cause a blackout in the tri-state area.
I love it!
Irish Spring soap bar shavings.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts