Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have had my new 2020 Forester Premium for about a week, first Subaru, love it so far. I noticed that in the Combination Meter screen between the gauge cluster (see pic), there is an icon of a steering wheel with lines on either side. It shows just to the right of the car avatar in the middle part of the screen. When I looked that up in the owner's manual, the only reference I can find is a power steering warning light of the steering wheel with an exclamation point. But this is supposed to be located in the warning light section, and is different (exclamation with steering weheel, not wheel with lines) than what I see.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but any idea what this is? The main reason I ask is once or twice as I'v been driving around, I've gotten a message pop up that shows that icon and it dings and says "off". Any idea why that happens?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
@jbower47 I’m not entirely sure what you looked up in the Manual, but the manual gives the specific reference for each icon.
728F4301-D21B-4597-AD1E-F63F13B74934.jpeg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not referring to the auto on/off icon. I'm talking about that (kinda blurry here, sorry) driving wheel with bars on the outside to the right of the car avatar in my picture. On the manual, page 24, there's a version of this with an !, but that's the power steering warning light. The Steering wheel part of the icon is the same, but this one doesn't have the !, and it has a bar on either side, and appears as shown above, instead of the warning light position. I assume it's somehting like a "everything is fine with the power steering" icon, but I can't find it referenced.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
191 Posts
I'm assuming the white icon with the steering wheel and the two vertical lines is lane centering. I have a '19 that doesn't have lane centering btw. It doesn't look like it's picking up the lane markers at the time of your picture so it wouldn't be "functioning." Either that or you don't have lane centering enabled which would be a button on your steering wheel on the right side.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh, I see. I thought that only worked during adaptive cruise control? That isn't on in this case. Or maybe it changes color when engaged?

Attachments

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,332 Posts
When I looked that up in the owner's manual, the only reference I can find is a power steering warning light of the steering wheel with an exclamation point.
I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but any idea what this is? The main reason I ask is once or twice as I'v been driving around, I've gotten a message pop up that shows that icon and it dings and says "off". Any idea why that happens?
The icon should be explained in your Eyesight manual which is a separate book from the Owners manual. When you hear a dong (not a ding) and it says "off", that might be because Lane Keep Assist/Lane Departure Warning lost sight of a painted line it was tracking. I think I read that in the Eyesight manual for my wife's Crosstrek.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The icon should be explained in your Eyesight manual which is a separate book from the Owners manual. When you hear a dong (not a ding) and it says "off", that might be because Lane Departure Warning lost sight of a painted line it was tracking. I think I read that in the Eyesight manual for my wife's Crosstrek.
That's it! Thank you, I'm not used to having multiple manuals, never thought to check the other one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've tried it on mine a few times and it's pretty odd. Sometimes it seems to hold you in the lane and other times it has you wandering back and forth. Thanks but I think I'll drive the car myself, a little safer and more reassuring.

·
Registered
2020 Ice Silver Forester Touring
8 Posts
I've tried it on mine a few times and it's pretty odd. Sometimes it seems to hold you in the lane and other times it has you wandering back and forth. Thanks but I think I'll drive the car myself, a little safer and more reassuring.
I noticed the same thing on mine (2020). From what I can tell, if you have the cruise control set, LKA will keep you centered in the lane. It works really well for me on the hwy with the cruise set. If cruise is not set, it just helps to keep you away from the lanes so it may appear that you are 'bouncing' from side to side. I kind of wish it worked all the time but I suppose the reality is we're supposed to be driving and this is just an 'assist'.

Ps. I didn't read this anywhere it was explained to me by a Subaru tech. I've had mine for almost 1 month and still learning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My little steering wheel indicator goes off anywhere from once to 12 times in a drive (10-25 minute drive) it goes off in sunlight, in overcast light, in rain, and at night. I have gotten no information from the dealer. I guess I will have to turn it off. It is very frustrating. My car is a 2020 Forester- just a few months old. I am very disappointed that this feature does not work right. Any suggestions? Subaru service says that there is nothing wrong- no error codes show up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts