Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I bought a 2020 Premium model Forester on Saturday after wanting a Subaru for a long time because of the safety rating and AWD. So I've only had it four days. Loved it so far. But we got a cold front in yesterday and the car didn't start the first time when I got in it to leave work. I had to crank it twice. It did start fine the second time, maybe a little rough for a few seconds. Temps have been 20-30 degrees F. It did the exact same thing this morning. When it does start, the RPMs go crazy for a few seconds, then settle down. It seems to drive fine. No warning lights on, though today the cold temp light was on.

Is this behavior normal for these cars? It's my first new car ever, and my first Subaru. My old car was a 2005 Mazda Tribute with 140,000 miles on it and it never had any issues starting, even in much colder weather than this. I'm a bit worried.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
997 Posts
New cars sit idle for a period of time and the batteries discharge daily. The dealer should react to your compliant by making sure the battery is fully charged. It should read 12.6 volts. Checking that the battery connections are tight. They are sometimes disconnect during storage. If all checks out fine and it doesn't start again purchase a new battery with higher cold cranking amps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New cars sit idle for a period of time and the batteries discharge daily. The dealer should react to your compliant by making sure the battery is fully charged. It should read 12.6 volts. Checking that the battery connections are tight. They are sometimes disconnect during storage. If all checks out fine and it doesn't start again purchase a new battery with higher cold cranking amps.
Thank you, Easy Fixer! The dealer got us in last night. They tested the battery first and said it was good. I should specify that "cold," to this car, apparently seems to mean 40 degrees and under! Does a temp between 30-40 degrees justify buying a stronger battery?

They said the car did give some kind of code saying the main relays were freezing?? Not sure what that means. They claim an update is supposed to be pushed out in a couple of weeks that will fix it. I don't know if there's any way to validate that though. That was the dealer; the rep I talked to at Subaru over email said that this is normal behavior, so I'm worried they're just plying me off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Easy Fixer! The dealer got us in last night. They tested the battery first and said it was good. I should specify that "cold," to this car, apparently seems to mean 40 degrees and under! Does a temp between 30-40 degrees justify buying a stronger battery?

They said the car did give some kind of code saying the main relays were freezing?? Not sure what that means. They claim an update is supposed to be pushed out in a couple of weeks that will fix it. I don't know if there's any way to validate that though. That was the dealer; the rep I talked to at Subaru over email said that this is normal behavior, so I'm worried they're just plying me off.
Should add day temps when it hasn't been starting have been 40 F. Night temps have been 20 F. Thank you!

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
997 Posts
Starting an engine is basic and usually doesn't involve a computer update. However, in this advancing age, perhaps it does. Your next step would be to check the battery under a load. This can be done with a battery tester that can be performed at an auto parts store. Tell them to compensate for the lower temperatures. Any thing that increases the resistance in the starter circuit lowers the amperage need to start the engine. The amperage must be sufficient to not only crank the engine but do it at a sufficient speed. So a new battery will not solve your problem if it passes the load test. The dealer should easily locate the resistance. If not any competent mechanic can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Starting an engine is basic and usually doesn't involve a computer update. However, in this advancing age, perhaps it does.
Easy Fixer, thank you! It seemed like if it was an issue they already knew they needed a fix for, I'd have found more information on it, or the rep would have known about it. Maybe not? I seem to be the only one complaining! I live in Texas, so lots of temp fluctuations, but mostly dry, and our winters are mild. High of 39 today but highs up to 70 this weekend.

I'm going to print out your post so I remember what to ask for, and I'll try to get the car by one of the auto parts stores this weekend to test it. Other than this issue, I love it. But this makes me nervous.

For what it's worth, my dad used to manage a transmission shop, then went back to school to be a computer programmer. But he won't work on new cars because of all the tech. :)

I appreciate all of your help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts