Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I have a ‘20 Sport I’m getting ready to set up with two sets of wheels: winter tires on the stock/OEM wheels and A/T tires on a new set of wheels. From my research including many helpful recommendations from posts here, I’ve ordered an Autel TS508 and Autel MX-sensors to ideally clone the original sensors to be able to swap the wheels sets easily without having to do a relearn with the vehicle each time.

I had a few questions about the Autel gear so I called their support line (they were incredibly friendly & helpful btw!) and the gentleman assisting me inform me that when having two sets of cloned/identical sensors, the vehicle can see/read both sets of sensors and essentially either get confused or read the sensor of a wheel not installed if stored within 30-to-40+ feet of the where the vehicle is parked.

I was surprised to hear that as I thought TPMS sensors went into a sleep mode after not moving for x-amount of time and didn’t emit any data until they move, but the Autel rep said that even in sleep mode the sensors will emit data, just at a much less frequent rate to save battery.

Just wanted to see if anyone here has cloned Autel (or other) sensors as their originals has experienced this or can share any more info on the subject? Thanks so much! Stoked to get these new wheels & tires set up!

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
282 Posts
I've not had any problems myself, with tires stored 8 ft directly above the vehicle in a loft, but someone else reported that occasionally he got a low pressure warning until he got away from is garage.

Some systems wait for the rotating tires to begin transmitting. Others may issue a 125 khz wake-up signal, and both the tires on the car and those in storage might respond. Still, as soon as you get away from your garage, everything should settle down.

If necessary, air up the tires in storage a little bit to ensure they issue a positive report, and don't alarm that they are deflated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Fibber2 Awesome, thanks for the help & advice! I'll plan on cloning then, and worse case scenario if it ends up being problematic I can always auto-create new hex codes for the MX-Sensors.

I have everything except the second set of wheels which should hopefully be arriving this week and then I'll be getting everything mounted up. I'll follow up with a post on the results.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
282 Posts
You're welcome!

PLEASE do follow up with your experience! I learn a lot from following the community experience, and it helps me help others.

As you said, the good part about programmable sensors is that they are infinitely reprogrammable. So no worries if you encounter an unexpected issue, as you can just re-write them with a new hex ID code with them in place. You'll just need to jack of each end and drop the air pressure to a few psi or less before the sensors will enter rewriteable mode. Assign them a new identity, and upload those codes.

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5i
1 Posts
Hello! I swapped over to snows with TPM sensors 5 days ago and have driven just over 400km since.
Various articles suggest that I should expect an TMPS alert light. I purchased a Quickset X in anticipation.
So far there hasn't been a warning light. It is a 2020 Forester, I am not familiar with TPMS.

I suppose to preserve the batteries, the sensors will only check in very occasionally, unless there is an issue.
The owners manual mentions needing to reset the system if a tire is changed.

I feel like the light should have come on already, do I just need to wait longer?

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
282 Posts
Because electromagnetic interference in congested RF areas can prevent successful data transmission between sensors and the vehicle, systems allow for 20 minutes or so of missed or incomplete data before the system will set a code and illuminate the dash warning. So some daily driving could happen for days and you might not get a warning. But 400 km in 5 days, unless it was really broken up into small bites, should have given you a light by now. I'm sure it's coming....

You'll have to let us know what you think of the Quickset X. I had the original Quickset (purchased in 2011), but sold it last year after getting an Autel TS508. The Quickset has similar features to the TS508, with the exception that I don't think you can use it make clones from blank sensors. Otherwise, it looks pretty complete as a home tool.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the new set of wheels/tires mounted and balanced two days ago and brought the shop the cloned MX-sensors (which took less than 5 mins total to clone all 4 sensors from start to finish!) labeled with their designated corners for the shop to match the stocks locations. The new wheels/tires/sensors are on the vehicle with no issues whatsoever. Very happy! Will be a breeze to swap wheel sets now with only the need to connect the OBD to change sensor position during rotations. If any issues arise I’ll be sure to post them, but everything has gone exactly to plan and I couldn’t be happier. Highly recommend the Autel system.

After some reasonable driving experiences I’ll post new threads with reviews on both new sets of tires. Thanks for the help @Fibber2!

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
282 Posts
Here's another piece of good news for you: When Subaru added the dash display, the also went from a single point to a distributed antenna system. When you rotate tires, the strongest signal received by each antenna should get locked in, and the ID matched to the position. It could take a short drive for deconvolution, but the dash display should quickly match the physical tire location. Net: No manual reregistration of position required!

And you're welcome! I live to serve.....

·
Registered
2020 Forester, CAD Touring, Horizon Blue
18 Posts
Hello! I swapped over to snows with TPM sensors 5 days ago and have driven just over 400km since.
Various articles suggest that I should expect an TMPS alert light. I purchased a Quickset X in anticipation.
So far there hasn't been a warning light. It is a 2020 Forester, I am not familiar with TPMS.

I suppose to preserve the batteries, the sensors will only check in very occasionally, unless there is an issue.
The owners manual mentions needing to reset the system if a tire is changed.

I feel like the light should have come on already, do I just need to wait longer?
I was told by the dealership I use that it is not mandatory in Canada and that Subaru Canada has decided not to add as a cost saving measure. The following article helps explain it.
Or this thread.

So I guess the question did you add the sensors as part of the tire package or were the sensors already on? Either way the Canadian based Subaru's do not read sensors and by law are not required to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts