Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2020 - Pedestrian Detection... does it work?

('19+) 
7K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  slothman 
#1 ·
I know the EyeSight system can detect Pedestrians, but every time i get close to someone crossing in my path, the sensors never give me a warning. How close do you have to get to someone for the system to recognize, warn or brake? Has anyone had the system stop you?

#3 ·
Yeah, not one of those features I care to test out on live subjects nor have I ever really found myself in a situation like that.

I would also be curious to test it out though perhaps using a cardboard cut out.

#4 ·
The 2019 &2020 2.5ltr Foresters do not have a separate Pedestrian Detection. Instead it is object detection & could be a pedestrian, bollard, stack of cardboard boxes (which I've tested) etc. It is speed dependant and will warn & brake when the system thinks the driver isn't braking fast enough for the speed the car is travelling.

But the 20' Forester Eboxer does have a Pedestrian Alert System advertised which is meant to be separate to the object detection. I don't know the details of it though, could be just a symbol on the dash popping up before braking like normal.

#5 ·
EyeSight does not like seeing the sign in the median when I turn left getting home. Sometimes it will beep at me as I turn, and once or twice it has applied the brakes.
EyeSight could not see the motorcycle in front of me on the highway recently.

Hit or miss, I would say.

#6 ·
"The EyeSight Pre-Collision Braking System is primarily designed to prevent rear-end collisions with other vehicles when possible or to minimize damage and injuries in the event of a collision. In addition to other vehicles, things such as motorbikes, bicycles and pedestrians can also be treated as obstacles. However, there may be cases when detection is not possible depending on a variety of conditions*2. For example, when a vehicle is viewed from the side, oncoming vehicle, vehicles approaching in reverse, small animals or children, or walls or doors are not likely to be detected."

"*1: For vehicles: approximately 30 mph (50 km/h),
For pedestrians: approximately 21 mph (35 km/h)
"

"*2: Conditions in which the Pre-Collision Braking System cannot detect obstacles:
- Distance to obstacle in front of you, speed difference, proximity conditions,
lateral displacement (the amount of offset)
  • Vehicle conditions (amount of load, number of occupants, etc.)
  • Road conditions (grade, slipperiness, shape, bumps, etc.)
  • Visibility ahead is poor (rain, snow, fog or smoke, etc.).
  • The detected object is something other than a vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle
or pedestrian.
• A domestic animal or other animal (a dog or deer, etc.)
• A guardrail, telephone pole, tree, fence or wall, etc.
- Even if the obstacle is a motorcycle, bicycle or pedestrian, depending on the
brightness of the surroundings as well as the relative movement, and
aspect or angle of the object, there may be cases when the system cannot
detect it.

- The system determines that operation by the driver (based on accelerator
pedal operation, braking, steering wheel angle, etc.) is intended as evasive
action.
- Vehicle maintenance status (brake systems, tire wear, tire pressure,
whether a temporary spare tire is being used, etc.)
  • A trailer or another vehicle, etc. is being towed.
  • The brakes are cold due to the outside temperature being low or just after
starting the engine.
- The brakes are overheated on downhill grades (braking performance is
reduced).
- In rain or after washing the vehicle (the brakes are wet and braking performance is reduced)
"

There is much, much more starting on page 28 of your Eyesight Manual.

#7 ·
How close do you have to get to someone for the system to recognize, warn or brake?
Eyesight won't react to pedestrians if the speed difference between the car and pedestrian is greater than 19 mph or 35 kph.

Eyesight should not be relied on to make braking or driving decisions more generally. It is a backup to the driver, the driver should not be the backup to Eyesight.

#13 ·
The Forester got a 'superior' rating in March 2019 testing by the IIHS.
Forester's Eyesight has achieved the IIHS superior rating from v1.0 when it consistently stopped short of the test target when systems in Merc 'S' class and Volvo's systems failed. The 2020 model still beats Mercedes' basic system and Volvo's which both failed the pedestrian test.

#14 ·
This is a great question, and it bothered me, too, until yesterday! Like you, my Forester's Eyesight system never reacted around pedestrians in malls or other locations, possibly as another driver noted, of course we all avoid pedestrians if at all possible.

But yesterday as I was leaving work, a person stepped into my path I was driving in (and I now realize, I was too close to them). The Eyesight system forcefully activated the braking system of the car and quickly (and loudly) stopped my Forester. The pedestrian detection/avoidance in my 2019 Forester DOES work!! (but don't try it out on your spouse :) Bravo, Subaru!!!!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.