Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those vehicles with push button start it describes an alternate method of remote starting the engine on page 313 of the owners manual using the key fob. Can anyone explain any details about this? I‘ve tried it and it doesn’t work. I was hoping that it was a different method than using the app on my phone, which is rather slow.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
So you're saying the instructions don't work from the manual?:

"To start the engine with remote engine start system, briefly press the lock button twice within 2 seconds, then press and hold the lock button for 3 seconds.

1. Press the lock button briefly. The
hazard warning flashers then flash once and the keyless buzzer chirps once.

2. Within 2 seconds, press the lock button briefly again. The hazard warning flashers then flash once again, and the keyless buzzer chirps once again.

3. After step 2, immediately press and hold the lock button. Some exterior lights then flash three times, and the horn will
honk once.

4. Approximately 3 seconds after step 3, release the lock button. The engine will then start successfully.
! When stopping the engine S07AZ2203 Press and hold the lock button to stop the engine with remote engine start system.
! Remote start safety features S07AZ2204 For detailed information, refer to “Remote pstart safety features” FP310.
"

·
Registered
2019 forester touring
103 Posts
I believe that only pertains to the remote start from Subaru. If you got the additional remote start fob. You would then be able to use the regular key fob also. It doesn't work if you have the starlink remote start.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried on my 2020 Forester (keyless entry, pushbutton start, Starlink) - it doesn't work. I rechecked the manual and the section referred to is a subsection of 7.6 "Remote Engine Start System (dealer option)." Therefore, I assume some other remote start system has to be installed by the dealer that works independent of Starlink. Check the Subaru website under accessories for your vehicle - the option is listed there.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
So what package(s) did your car come equipped with. For example, my wife's had the option package 15 which includes: BSD/RCTA + Keyless Access & Start + Power Rear Gate.

She has the standard Subaru remote and it works as described in the instructions I posted earlier. As mentioned, I guess the dealer installed option includes a separate fob for remote starting and the instructions for that are on page 309? ....then there's the app that can be used. Not sure how Starlink fits into the use of the FOBs though.

·
Premium Member
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
50 Posts
You need to have the remote start dealer option or subscribe to the Starlink service that provides remote starts (i paid $75 for 3 years of service on this)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You need to have the remote start dealer option or subscribe to the Starlink service that provides remote starts (i paid $75 for 3 years of service on this)
....you mean the Starlink service that allows remote starts via the app though, correct. If you have the Subaru installed remote start, you can use the supplied FOB without the service, right? .....or do you need the Starlink subscription for the remote start feature to work so somehow the FOB pings Starlink in the process?

By the way, I just tried the remote start feature in my wife's car and it didn't work either. I got the beeps, flashes and single honk but no start. ....she has the Subaru installed feature with the main FOB. Starlink isn't mentioned in the process at all in the manual.

Something to note however is that the car is in the garage right now so if there is some sort of link beyond just communication with the FOB and the car, that may be the issue.

If there is some connection required to Starlink which means the subscription is needed for this feature, that's a crock IMO especially since it is sold simply as a remote start feature. Dealer also made no mention of this even though we opted for the 3 year subscription.

·
Premium Member
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
50 Posts
....you mean the Starlink service that allows remote starts via the app though, correct. If you have the Subaru installed remote start, you can use the supplied FOB without the service, right? .....or do you need the Starlink subscription for the remote start feature to work so somehow the FOB pings Starlink in the process?

By the way, I just tried the remote start feature in my wife's car and it didn't work either. I got the beeps, flashes and single honk but no start. ....she has the Subaru installed feature with the main FOB. Starlink isn't mentioned in the process at all in the manual.

Something to note however is that the car is in the garage right now so if there is some sort of link beyond just communication with the FOB and the car, that may be the issue.

If there is some connection required to Starlink which means the subscription is needed for this feature, that's a crock IMO especially since it is sold simply as a remote start feature. Dealer also made no mention of this even though we opted for the 3 year subscription.
Yes, the Starlink remote start service is not related to the remote start FOB availability.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Yes, the Starlink remote start service is not related to the remote start FOB availability.
....then i guess I'm in the same boat as the OP. Can't believe I never tested it before but the remote start doesn't work in her car either when I tried. I'm going to pull the car out and see if that makes a difference. ....I don't see why it should but we'll see.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
...yeah, still didn't work. I get all the indications but no start.

EDIT: You know what? I think my wife's car perhaps doesn't come with it. After checking the package listing in the window sticker there is no mention so it must have been either in the marketing materials or something Sales and I were talking about where I misunderstood. Im going to double check everything but I think that may be why in my case.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have Starlink and only later decided that I wanted the separate key fob remote system. I purchased it on line from a dealer and installed it myself. They do have to be activated by a dealer with a Subaru programming device. I had that done while in for other service and the dealer did not charge. The service writer showed me the added option of using the keyless start fob to start the vehicle (at reduced range compared to the new separate fob), and said that function involves an extra step in the activation. So this is clearly a function requiring the separate remote starter, and it has to be activated separately, which could possibly be missed when added by a dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
830 Posts
When my wife special ordered her 2015 Outback Limited, she had it equipped with the remote start option. Her key fob looks to be exactly the same as my 19 Forester Touring model key fob, although its impossible for me to confirm it’s identical in its features and operation.

There was an additional $415.00 charge specifically for (and identified as same on the window sticker) the remote start feature on her vehicle.

Her vehicle remote start works exactly as described in the manual, using the standard fob.

I also special ordered my 19 Forester Touring. I can remote start my 19 Forester using the Starlink app, but when I try using the key fob to initiate a remote start, it goes thru the exact motions described in the manual... lights flash as described, etc.... except, no remote start occurs.

Whether there’s additional hardware required, I can’t say. But it appears that, at a minimum, additional programming is required... for an additional fee, naturally...

In the end, it appears one has to pay to play, so to speak...

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited (Cdn)
14 Posts
I'd love to find out the details of the "extra step in the activation" mentioned by @StopSign .
Wouldn't be at all surprised if that step just links the already-existing UI function in the factory keyfob (short-short-long press on lock button) with the remote start subroutine used by Starlink activation. It may not require the additional h/w module. But we'll never know...

Frankly, given our use case (start the engine in the dead of winter through the dining room window, a mere 15' from the car in the driveway), I'd be quite happy being able to remote start using only the factory fob. We don't need the long-distance capability of the dedicated add-on remote start fob. And I'd be just as happy if the various remote Starlink features could be disabled. I really don't want disaffected youth in far-away countries being able to hack into my car over the internet and unlock the doors, flash the lights, sound the horn, start the engine, etc. Think of the temptation that millions of internet-connected cars present to the hacking community. I keep the WiFi interface turned off for the same reason.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
830 Posts
I’m taking my wife’s 15 Outback in for a service recall tomorrow (partial exhaust system replacement).

Its my intention to ask about the remote start via key fob option in order to find out exactly what is required to enable that feature on the latest generation Foresters.

I’ll report back with my findings...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
830 Posts
Well, I took my wife’s 15 Outback in today for a recall, which was resolved without issue.

I asked about the fob-based remote start requirements, and was directed to a “sales-dude“ (my regular sales rep was off today) who, quite frankly, I’m not too sure if he knows he’s selling Subarus (it’s a Subaru-only dealership). He promptly informed me the only way to remote start the latest generation Forester is via Starlink... And completely ignored me when I point out that the error of his understanding was printed in the owner’s manual. A lot like herding cats...

I‘m going to stop by again and talk to my regular salesperson sometime soon and see if I can get a more accurate answer...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
316 Posts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts