Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 FIAT 500L
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all! I was set on a 2019 Forester Sport earlier this year, but then other financial matters got in my way.
My financial situation is getting back on track, and the 2020 Subarus are beginning to roll in.
Now I'm thinking 2020 Forester Sport (virtually no changes from 2019) or a 2020 Outback Premium, probably mid-winter.
They cost almost exactly the same, although the Forester has the advantage in features (Dual X-Mode, NAV, H-K audio, moonroof, RAB, etc.); the Outback is probably quieter, has the big screen, seatback releases in the cargo area, and a few other things.
Given VIP pricing I expect they'd be almost the same price out the door as well.
Has anyone got any experience yet in a 2019 Forester and a 2020 Outback? I can't be the only one cross-shopping...

·
Registered
2014 FIAT 500L
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, a turbo is available on some models, but not the Premium, so that doesn't matter to me.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
511 Posts
You okay with the size of the Outback? I test drove a 2018 and while it rode nicely, it was a little too big for me and my needs. Plus parking it in the city is a bit tougher. The Forester was a good size for me.

You might be able to get a better discount on a Forester since it's the second year. Since the Outbacks are brand-spanking new, I wouldn't expect much discounting.

Also, you have to decide if that giant infotainment screen is right for you.

·
Registered
2018 SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd CVT
1,457 Posts
One feature I would dislike on the 2020 Outback is the integration of the HVAC controls into the touch screen. The separate knobs for HVAC on the 2019 Forester are intuitive and less distracting.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Package 15
348 Posts
I changed from a 2011 Outback to a 19 Forester Premium this year. It’s awesome. Handles so much better than the Outback and easier to park as some have pointed out.

The only thing I am missing is a hybrid option, but I’d go for that at the end of my lease!

However there are some cool features in the 2020 that have been added, and you get a second year model rather than the first year with the changes.

You would also probably get a great deal on the 2019 leftovers though.

I do regret not getting the Limited trim but the Premium Option 15 was a fantastic choice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I haven't driven the 2020 Outback. But from past experience, I would choose a 2020 Outback over a 2019 Forester Sport only if I wanted the 2.4L turbo engine. The large LCD is nice looking, but I don't see a distinct advantage over the split screen system. Plus I love the orange trims in the Sport!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am interested in the same switch from the Tacoma. I just don't need a truck. does the forester lack in any way, or is it "just different"? thanks

·
Registered
2018 SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd CVT
1,457 Posts
does the forester lack in any way, or is it "just different"? thanks
The Forester lacks in towing capacity as compared to the Outback. The Outback's new 2.4L turbo should out-accelerate the Forester's 2.5L NA. Otherwise it mostly a difference between the Forester's SUV-like ride vs. the Outback's wagon-like ride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Forester lacks in towing capacity as compared to the Outback. The Outback's new 2.4L turbo should out-accelerate the Forester's 2.5L NA. Otherwise it mostly a difference between the Forester's SUV-like ride vs. the Outback's wagon-like ride.
Finally test drove the 2020 Outback Onyx XT and it is significantly faster than the 2019 Forester Sport. Loved the big LCD, but I'd be more than satisfied with dual screen of the Forester. The head room in the Forester is significantly better. Back seat felt much more spacious in the Forester.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts