Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plan:
1st 2,500 miles @Dealer (I provide Dealer Mobil 1 synthetic oil and Subaru oil filter)
2nd 5,000 miles @Dealer (same as above) I know this change is early.
Thereafter every 5K miles.
Oil: Mobile 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic (OW-20 per owner’s manual).
Oil Filter: Subaru (all changes).

I will use the Dealer the first couple of oil changes to have them in their system.
After 5K miles my local shop will do changes for $10 (I supply oil/filter). Been doing oil changes with my shop for 5 years.
I keep all records while under warranty.

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments?

·
Registered
2018 SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd CVT
1,571 Posts
In addition to keeping paper records, you might want to record non-dealer maintenance on the mySubaru website in the service history section. Also, you may want to keep your service records beyond the warranty period because they will add value if you ever sell the car.

Question. Why would you provide your dealer with oil and oil filter? (although I did read here once about a dealer using non-Subaru filters - but I think that would be a rarity).

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
444 Posts
Why bother with the dealer for the first two?
Your shop should be recording the maintenance into Carfax and you will be saving all the paperwork.

But if a shop is doing the service for a $10 labor change, then they aren't taking the time, or looking at other issues, or using untrained mechanics. They should be measuring the tires and rotating as needed. They should be taking a peek at the brakes, they should be checking the air filter unless you've specifically told them not you because you are. They should be doing a general look to make sure no oil leaks or other issues are developing. And they should know what they should be looking for.

If this is your first Subaru, I'd suggest looking for a Subaru specific indy shop for your maintenance. They will charge you more than $10 for labor. But they won't drain your CVT fluid by accident, or break your glove box changing the cabin air filter, because they know what they are doing. One thing I learned over the years, is you get what you pay for.

And you should be using a fresh crush washer on each oil change as well.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
In addition to keeping paper records, you might want to record non-dealer maintenance on the mySubaru website in the service history section. Also, you may want to keep your service records beyond the warranty period because they will add value if you ever sell the car.

Excellent. I will use the mySubaru website. I always keep my paper service records and an Excel spreadsheet of parts and services until my vehicles are sold.

Question. Why would you provide your dealer with oil and oil filter? (although I did read here once about a dealer using non-Subaru filters - but I think that would be a rarity).
Answer: I get my oil and Subaru filters at a lower cost (Walmart/Amazon/EBay/etc.) than what the dealer would charge me. A better savings over years of oil changes.
Why bother with the dealer for the first two?
Answer: I want it recorded in their system. Also believe at the same time they will do a free multi-point inspection.
Your shop should be recording the maintenance into Carfax and you will be saving all the paperwork.
Carfax is great. But in over 40 years of private selling my vehicles I never once had anyone wanting to see a Carfax report. My service records always seemed sufficient.

But if a shop is doing the service for a $10 labor change, then they aren't taking the time, or looking at other issues, or using untrained mechanics. They should be measuring the tires and rotating as needed. They should be taking a peek at the brakes, they should be checking the air filter unless you've specifically told them not you because you are. They should be doing a general look to make sure no oil leaks or other issues are developing. And they should know what they should be looking for.
They do all of the above and more.

If this is your first Subaru, I'd suggest looking for a Subaru specific indy shop for your maintenance. They will charge you more than $10 for labor. But they won't drain your CVT fluid by accident, or break your glove box changing the cabin air filter, because they know what they are doing. One thing I learned over the years, is you get what you pay for.
CVT fluid changes will done by my dealer. I change my own cabin air filters. If I can't do it and if not under warranty, I will most likely take it to my dealer.

And you should be using a fresh crush washer on each oil change as well.
Great advice, will do. Thank you.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
573 Posts
My plan: ... I know this change is early.

I will use the Dealer the first couple of oil changes to have them in their system.
After 5K miles my local shop will do changes for $10 (I supply oil/filter).
👍 Suberb approach, back in my new car period I pretty much did the same, except with regular oil.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,349 Posts
Consider a better filter than Subaru....FRAM Ultra Synthetic. Filters at 20 microns instead of Subaru's filter which is 30 to microns.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,787 Posts
Consider a better filter than Subaru....FRAM Ultra Synthetic. Filters at 20 microns instead of Subaru's filter which is 30 to microns.
The Fram Ultra bypass valve is 13 psi and does not meet Subaru factory specs....if you really care (I do).

I use dealer (for any brand car) for oil and filter changes throughout the warranty period because if I ever have a problem, they will not only know for sure what maintenance has been done, but they know my name and face, and know that I care for my car.

If I ever have a warranty problem, they will go to bat for me with the manufacturer if necessary. This has been the case with my Subaru dealer as well as a Ford dealer, with some really weird and expensive warranty problems that the factory disputed. Costs me about $50 for a full synthetic oil and filter change at my Subaru dealer, and they wash the car. Having the oil changed every 6000 miles or so certainly won't break me.

George

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,349 Posts
The Fram Ultra bypass valve is 13 psi and does not meet Subaru factory specs....if you really care (I do).
Understand. That bypass number would be a complete failure of the filter (clogged) and then it would just to to bypass and allow some unfiltered oil to pass. Old VW's didn't even have a filter.

Fram and most of the other filter manufactures would not spec their filters for subaru if there was any possibility of damage. The only time any of my subarus had a subaru filter on was when they were new. My granddaughter now has 200K miles on my 2008 with a Fram on.

But obviously do what you think is best :cheers:

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,787 Posts
It's unlikely that even the mid-line Frams which use paper caps and small element areas would ruin your engine but in any comparison they look totally lame. Subaru OEM blue filters are made by Honeywell (aka Fram) but probably have the proper (high) bypass spec. If you blew an engine for some odd reason under warranty and had a filter on it that did not meet specs (even something like bypass pressure relief specs) it's possible but unlikely that you would get some warranty pushback. Subaru has to have some reason that they spec a high bypass pressure...maybe the pressure spike at startup is higher than 13 psi and you're letting crud into your engine with your low bypass spec.

When my '09 was new, I bought a case of the black Tokyo Roki filters and would carry them in to my dealer for changes (but they knew that I bought them there) because I decided I cared, but after using them up, it was back to basic OEM Subaru filters. On our '17, I just take it in and hang out with the service manager.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,349 Posts
Sent this to Fram:
"I am currently using the Fram Ultra in my '18 Subaru XT 2.0 and my '19 Subaru Crosstrek. They call for the XG 7317. The bypass spec called for by Subaru is 27 psu. The Fram is rated at 17 psi. Obviously Fram has certified this filter for use. I would like to know if there could be any expected problems or warranty issues"

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,787 Posts
Their website spec for that filter is 13 lbs, not 17...which is way low in comparison to the stock spec. I seriously doubt it will cause any issues, really, but why not stick with factory specs? http://www.fram.com/parts-search/XG7317/

That said, after my '09 Foz was out of warranty, I used a couple low-bypass spec Pure Ones on that car (free with a jug of oil), and even used a couple Honda Civic filters (my wife had an '07 Civic) which is the same design but near an inch longer, and also have the lower bypass spec. That was actually a great filter to use on the Foz, but it did stick down a little further. I don't think it stuck out below the heat shield level. My son has my old Foz with 160k miles on it these days, I think. He's taken 2 BMW's and a Focus SVT well over 200k miles, though (bought them with 130-170k miles).

·
Registered
344 Posts
I see no reason to have the dealer change the oil. Just keep your records. I've never in my life had a dealer oil change.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,787 Posts
I see no reason to have the dealer change the oil. Just keep your records. I've never in my life had a dealer oil change.
I'm sure you didn't read my first comment in this thread. Getting to know your dealer's service people can make a huge difference in how you are treated if you have warranty problems or if you need help outside your warranty. I also like having a long-term relationship with my doctor, mail carrier, pharmacist, guitar store, son's teachers (when he was in school), and even waitresses at restaurants I go to. Even though I live in a large metro area, I have a small universe of people I depend on. You can't buy everything from Amazon, after all.

I can't underestimate the value of actual human relationships, and having the dealer change my oil every 6k miles for $50 is a really small price to pay for maintaining a relationship.

If your dealer is a mega-superstore dealership that has lousy Subaru service, it's not as valuable to have a relationship since they probably chew up and spit out their service employees. Or if you're driving a used Subaru long out of warranty and want to do your own oil changes for economy's sake, good for you. I did most of my own oil changes for maybe 40 years and still do them on my vintage BMW.

My Subaru dealer is a Subaru-only dealer with a long history and a great reputation. They are a relatively small local business and I am happy to support them because I want them to stay in business.

Have a great holiday season, George

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,349 Posts
Fram Got back:
"Allen, All Fram filters are engineered to meet,or exceed OEM factory specifications and will work the same, or better than your OEM filter that came on the vehicle at production. Fram stands by their products and installing Fram filters onto your vehicle will, in no way cause your vehicle to have any warranty issues. To clarify this please visit our webpage and view this under the support tab,then click on warranty support ir you can just click on the link :https://www.fram.com/support/warranty-support/ and it will take you right there. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reply back."

https://www.fram.com/support/warranty-support/

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
573 Posts
Getting to know your dealer's service people can make a huge difference in how you are treated if you have warranty problems or if you need help outside your warranty. ...
I can't underestimate the value of actual human relationships, and having the dealer change my oil every 6k miles for $50 ... is a really small price to pay for maintaining a relationship.
This!

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sure you didn't read my first comment in this thread. Getting to know your dealer's service people can make a huge difference in how you are treated if you have warranty problems or if you need help outside your warranty. I also like having a long-term relationship with my doctor, mail carrier, pharmacist, guitar store, son's teachers (when he was in school), and even waitresses at restaurants I go to. Even though I live in a large metro area, I have a small universe of people I depend on. You can't buy everything from Amazon, after all.

I can't underestimate the value of actual human relationships, and having the dealer change my oil every 6k miles for $50 is a really small price to pay for maintaining a relationship.

If your dealer is a mega-superstore dealership that has lousy Subaru service, it's not as valuable to have a relationship since they probably chew up and spit out their service employees. Or if you're driving a used Subaru long out of warranty and want to do your own oil changes for economy's sake, good for you. I did most of my own oil changes for maybe 40 years and still do them on my vintage BMW.

My Subaru dealer is a Subaru-only dealer with a long history and a great reputation. They are a relatively small local business and I am happy to support them because I want them to stay in business.

Have a great holiday season, George
X2 YoGeorge.

Interesting discussion about Fram oil filters. I will stay with Subaru filters as long as my Touring is under warranty (and maybe forever).

Just learned from my Subaru dealer that I have 2yrs/24K miles/4 free oil changes and tire rotations and one free cabin air filter change. Service Advisor showed me this on his computer. I just need to verify the oil changes are synthetic. I’ll be using these freebies until expired.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,787 Posts
Hey Subielt: I'd definitely do their 4 free oil changes. I used to do a really early change in the old days (and I am pretty darn old) but with clean, modern, high tech engine assembly I don't think it's really worthwhile--again this comes after reading oil analysis charts for a number of years. My dealer uses Subaru (Idemitsu) full synthetic for our 2017 Foz; full syn is specified for all newer Subarus in the US. Idemitsu is factory fill for many Japanese manufacturers and is excellent oil.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
203 Posts
Subaru recommends the first oil change at 6K miles or 6 months... by changing the factory oil prematurely, you are removing the special additives that coat the engine for protection.
Modern cars are not like the car of the 60's and 70's... and now with synthetic oil technology we are able to go longer without changing the oil. My BMW X5 has a oil change of 12,000 miles of 1 year whichever comes first... there are so many overly cautious owners on the forums who do a "Break in" oil change at either 500 miles or 1,000 miles and they have essentially prevented the factory oil to do it's job.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some additional reading WRT my Post #17. For new Subaru purchases, ask your dealer if they participate in the “Maintain the Love” program with complimentary scheduled maintenance for 2 years/24,000 miles. If yes (after your new Subaru purchase) check with the Service Advisor that your complimentary maintenance is in their computer system. Our dealer's salesman never mentioned this during our purchase and it does not appear to show up (yet) on MySubaru.com website.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/who_s-got-free-maintenance--/2100005803/

https://www.subaruoflasvegas.com/maintain-the-love.htm

1 - 20 of 99 Posts