Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find information about the stock head unit. What's the brand/model number, what are the plugs on the back, what's the output power, things like that.

It seems like this kind of information is intentionally hidden.

Edit: preferably 8 inch with nav, but I'll take anything from a 19+.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,158 Posts
It's not really hidden... on the front face of the unit there "SHOULD" (could?) be a model number on the face...

Does it have the navigation? Harman Kardon speaker system?

Previous generation (SJ) Foresters were usually CLARION or FUJITSU TEN units.

Mind you - much like LED flat screen TVs - you can have many brands on the front of the box, but the actual maker of the screen is limited to about 3 or 4 providers. Same for the stereo units... While it may be labeled "brand X" it an still come from one of 2 or 3 or 5 suppliers.

Why is it that you ask?

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
582 Posts
All these new 2019+ cars feature a few different models of the Harmon Gen 3.1 head unit. No more Clarion or FT headunits in this era for the Forester. More good details in the attached bulletins.

HK upgrade features 9 speakers
440 watts with DSP HK amp.
3.5" Coaxials in the dash count as 4 speakers, set at about 500Hz and up.
6x9 mid bass front door speakers set to a bandpass range about 80Hz to 2kHz (if I recall correctly)
6.5" full range speakers set about 120Hz and up
9" subwoofer set at 80Hz and down.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boom. That's perfect. So I am going to need a sub that will plug into the HU if I want low range sound.

·
Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't seem like the 2020 has a subwoofer option... At this point I'm willing to drop the money for the factory upgrade but I can't find any way to add a sub.

·
Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@netnode That is super interesting, and a little helpful. At this point I feel super stuck though. Long story short, I just want to hear bass notes below 45hz but the stock HU has bandpass filters on everything and so only a subwoofer hooked up to it can deliver. But I can't find info on how to hook one up or what to purchase. I'm lost.

·
Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not an audiophile. I got by on the stock sound from my 2014 crosstrek fine for years. But this Forester is aggravating me because the head unit has filters on the output channels, so even with nice(r) speakers installed I can't get any sound below ~45hz. So, okay. I guess I need a subwoofer. But google searches turn up nothing, the Rockford Fosgate upgrade is super expensive without fixing the problem, and I would really just like to find a way to plug in a sub and go on my way. If I need an amp, so be it... I just want some low frequency sound in my car.

Please help.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
111 Posts
Well I don't think you'll find something that would be plug 'n play, at lest not yet.
But you can add an amp/sub to any system. You just have to tap into the speaker wires. Not sure if yours has the factory amp, that would make things easier.
You pretty much need the remote turn on, and signal. Either the amp has built in low level inputs, or you can buy a RCA signal adapter.

Or you can hit up your local car audio shop/installer.

·
Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I don't think you'll find something that would be plug 'n play, at lest not yet.
But you can add an amp/sub to any system. You just have to tap into the speaker wires. Not sure if yours has the factory amp, that would make things easier.
You pretty much need the remote turn on, and signal. Either the amp has built in low level inputs, or you can buy a RCA signal adapter.

Or you can hit up your local car audio shop/installer.
In searching for an answer to my problem, I have found a bunch of horror stories of audio shops splicing in aftermarket stuff and messing up Starlink. That's why I'm trying to find a 'plug in' option that uses the harness sockets on the back of the HU.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
111 Posts
well, @Rorgaard either wait at lest a year till aftermarket companies would come up with a plug 'n play option. Which given the demand its hella slow. Maybe 2 years? Or be one of the first guinea pigs to try stuff out. How or where that's something I don't know much.
Its that or pay top dollar and go to a high end car audio shop to do it. Either way, besides you doing the work yourself, you'll have to wait.

The whole idea of yours plugin something from the back is very old tech. Unless you just get rid of the oem unit altogether. I would if I want to "plug" something off the back of the unit.
As said before if you just want to run an aftermarket amp and sub, I would tap into the factory amp under the seat. Unless you don't have that. Either way you are making adding a sub way more complected than it is.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
582 Posts
Mr.AC there is a lot of info in this forum of others who have had some success with upgrades. I suggest some more exploring. Most upgrades are aftermarket and modz. Not, plug n play. You are right about that espececially for subs.

If you want a plugnplay subwoofer (not Forester specific, but works great in the Forester), you should check out the Cerwin Vega VPAS12ST. It fits into spare tire well. You get to keep your spare and do not need to remove or cut the rear cargo panel cover. It has a built in amp and you just need to wire it up with batt, ground and remote in. Then tap your rear door speaker. The rear door has the best range, about 120Hz to 20Khz. The CV will auto sum and reproduce the low frequency you are looking for.

The other option for aftermarket setup will require you get some sort of DSP that will accept your HU ouputs and auto-sum the frequencies so you have complete control of the signals that will fed your aftermarket amps. Fosgate 3.sixty and Audio Control (several models) will do this work for you. Once you get this route, plan to spend $2000 or more. A DSP alone can be $400 to $700.

If you stay on the simple side, I would still recommend the Subaru Fosgate upgrade, but you are right, nothing built for a sub unless you got the HK system which does have 9" sub and sub output, so some options there to upgrade that sub. If you want a stealth system, you can buy the HK rear cargo sub and panel for about $500. Then you just need an amp. Or, you can just buy the panel for about $150 and build your own box and sub.

Another option for you is that you can buy my 10" custom fiberglass enclosure with Alpine 10" sub. I had this built for the driver rear cargo area. It is just plug n play, but you need an amp. It will cost much more than the CV too by the time you are done.

I have done a lot of exploration and shared this on my modz page. May be worth a read. I share soem wiring diagrams and details too, but I started with the HK system so there are some differences.

Here is the custom sub if you are interested. It has the Alpine speaker grille, but not seen in photo. $350 firm. I obviously paid more to have this built for the Forester Sport.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not familiar with autosum. If the head unit has a filter that removes low frequencies, how can something further down the circuit bring them back? Or is it inferring/rebuilding them from harmonic higher frequencies?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts