Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2020 metallic gray sport
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I see many threads on tires...but are the ziex's so terrible?

I have 60k on them and have a nail at the edge of tread...considered sidewall.
They have "6" tread left...so maybe 10k more...but winter is coming fast.

So has anyone just kept the stock tires?

I see the Michelin$$ are often upgraded, but they are out of stock around Chicagoland. I don't do A/T but we get snow and the ziex's did fine last year.

So...is keeping with what works....a bad choice?

Thanks.

2020 Sport

· Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,652 Posts

· Registered
2020 metallic gray sport
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How about you read Tirerack surveys so you can see, based on actual data from numerous people over lots of miles, how lousy the OEM tires are? (Our '17 still has the oem Yokohamas which are also lousy but like your Falkens, they work.) Things that work are sometimes not that good.

I have been looking at reviews, and tire rack is a great resource.
I didn't see that chart until you posted it...appreciate it.

I was just wondering how many may have said, "meh, oem seems fine."

Did you replace your Yoko's or still original tires?

Thanks.

· Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,565 Posts
When new, the Falkens never let me down. I too got a nail in the "sidewall", more like a sewing needle size nail, and they wouldn't even do an inside patch. So I just went with Winter tires to replace them.

So I can't comment on how they would have done for the second winter.

· Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,652 Posts
Did you replace your Yoko's or still original tires?
Thanks.
On my '09 I wanted larger tires so I changed out the OEM Bridgestones at 1000 miles or so and got a credit. On our '16 Grand Caravan, that came with Yokohamas and I swapped them out at 1000 miles or so for Michelins.

The '17 Foz has 45k miles on it and the darn Yoko's are just not wearing out. My wife is driving the car and we have not had much bad weather this last couple years. We're in Detroit and if we get an extended forecast with a lot of snow and ice in it, I will probably replace them immediately--I am watching Costco and Discount Tire sales. I might try the Cross Climate 2's, but my wife values gas mileage so I'm looking at the Michelin Defender 2.

My real preference is Michelin LTX M/S's which I just put on my minivan (after the first replacement Michelin Latitudes wore out at 55k), and on my '09 Foz, and 3 sets on my former '02 E150 van. But they don't make Subaru fitments.

· Registered
2020 metallic gray sport
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Between the current sales, a leaking tire, and winter approaching....I went with Goodyears assurance weatherredy. I was going to save $100 and go wih the assurance comfort but the tire rack review said "light snow performance less than desired" or something.

The michelin's rate higher, but the sale price had just ended.

· Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,652 Posts
How much air did you have in the Falkens and how much do you you have in the Goodyears?

The Weatherready is a 3-peak snow rated tire so I would expect it to be louder just looking at the tread--lots of void area. You can't have your cake and eat it too... They may quiet down a bit as the tread wears. Or they may get louder.

I have used 30-day return policies on a bad set of Firestones (moving back to Michelins) and it looks like Goodyear has a 30 day thing also, but only if you buy more Goodyear, Kelly, or Dunlop tires.

· Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,565 Posts
I went with the Cooper Evolution Studdable Snow tires, and they have been great so far. Haven't had the chance to try them in actual winter conditions yet. For dry and wet pavement, they are as good as the Falkens.
I expected more noise, less fuel economy, and a hit in steering response and handling. But I got pleasantly surprised. They are barely louder than the Falkens, I get about 2 MPG better, and there isn't any change in steering or handling.

I did go up a tire size, but as I have 18" wheels, this might not be as simple with 17" wheels to match. I went with 235/55-18, just a smidge taller, and a smidge wider. The added width might have helped with the handling. They have larger tread blocks too, which probably helps with tread squirm from the softer/deeper tread.

Not sure on the fuel mileage increase, which should actually show as a decrease from the lower revolutions per mile. But I'll take it.

· Registered
2020 metallic gray sport
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The air for both was at manufacturer specs....I went off the graphs at tire rack and the goodyears were rated more quiet. I looked at the GY assurance comfort tires rated quieter still...but made the choice of the better tire in snow....but from the ratings had hoped the WReady would be more quiet than the Falkens....which had been fine.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
The stock ziex's did admirable for my last winter, in the WV Appalachians and up in NH, in the snow.
They are pretty quiet.
In the wet, when it dumps, they do terrible. I often find myself feeling them start to float, and have to ease up, and many other cars flying by.
They seem to be wearing fast.

They aren't terrible, but I would not buy again.

· Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,652 Posts
One limitation of Tire Rack tests is the user makeup of those who report results. Especially when a tire has cross-compatibility with cars, minivans, and both unit body and separate frame SUV's and pickups, the frame of reference may be vastly different for 2 similar tires.

For instance I am looking at Conti Terrain Contact H/T's for my wife's Foz and that does well in tests, but it's primarily a full size and work truck tire in its other applications. So it's quiet compared to what? I could put a Michelin Defender2, which is related to the old MXV luxury tires, on the Foz and that will be quiet. But probably not great in the snow. I'm afraid of the Cross Climates because my Subarus do feather tires and I like to rotate side to side.

You do have the 30-day return window for Goodyears, but only if you exchange for another Goodyear style. If the tires ride and handle well, I might be inclined to keep them and turn up the radio.

I am interested in the idea of a 3-peak tire that is drivable year-round.

· Registered
2016 Forester XT
585 Posts
My wife's 2021 Crosstrek has the Falken Ziex OEM tires. I hate them. Subaru really cheaped out. At 7/32 of tread, their wet/rain performance is lousy (not quite unsafe, but getting there). We use snow tires in the winter, so I can comment on the Ziex's snow performance. I would expect it to be poor.

We will be replacing these tires after the next summer. I guess at that point they will be down to 6/32s. We are going with a mild A/T like the Falken A/T Trail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts