Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are Rally Armor really worth the difference from rockblox?

I don’t mind paying for quality aftermarket but money is money! I’ve had lower cost exceed the high cost items in value. But I don’t know what the case may be on these.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think rockblox answered my question. Their website says contact them for extended flaps. The reply I got after contacting them was they only sell off the order form. I guess they don’t want to sell any. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
1,754 Posts
@Plane Dr From looking at your other thread.... Even with the lift, a standard full length RockBlox mud flap will be sufficient. How low do you really want them to be?

On my `13 they sit 4" from the ground, and I'm lowered 1.5"

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
191 Posts
I have never understood what the appeal is with those generic looking flaps, they look like cheap pieces of plastic when compared to form fitted ones. Always been curious why people like those, for those Canadians here, car accessories that simply look generic were always referred to as Canadian tire specials. I always like accessories that look like they came from the factory. Not trying to be rude, items like that just look like 70's or 80's when they was no technology, i think it's kind of funny, you see this beautiful WRX and these bright red flaps that looked so ridiculous on an otherwise sick car.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
186 Posts
I have rally armor mudflaps. Have had them on since about 6 months ago. I would go RB if I could do it again

@HeyChris
You should some brushes at the end of those so you can clean up the streets too!

·
Super Moderator
1,754 Posts
@saturn706, lol

@QMaze, the OEM splashguards are underwhelming. The RB's and RA's are the best alternatives a lot of us have found. If you've sourced a better looking option please share.... (y):geek:

The weathertech versions are more JC Whitney catalog generic than the above ones... IMO

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
727 Posts
they look like cheap pieces of plastic when compared to form fitted ones
It comes down to whether you prefer form over function, or function over form. The OEM 'splash guards' may look better, but they aren't as effective at keeping mud and road crud off the bodywork.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
191 Posts
The weathertech versions are more JC Whitney catalog generic than the above ones... IMO
@HeyChris lol yeah ok, That's like saying this cool, haaha
Problem is no one has the guts to say how garage sale they look, because they think they think they look cool. Granted I will say someone did mention function over form and I couldn't agree more but 95% of cars that have them, have never seen gravel or any type of off road use to actually use the function. For off road use, or those users who live in areas that able to take their vehicles on fire roads then those type of flaps are the better choice, hands down, I'm just saying they look cheap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to kind about Canadian Tire specials, my brother owns one! But I expect a Vendor to provide support, I just got the impression the didn't want to sell....

I ordered the Rally Armor (Armour?) haha. I actually liked the look of them better. Since this is my long term car I am just kitting it out properly from the get go. Yes it's primary life will be commuting in the city, but I want to make sure next time I do take it out to play I have the least impact on it. I love a good drift on a gravel road, sorry it makes me giggle.

I always had that argument with the "X" but it's like "you never need it till you need it". I had a tip over on the bike on the off side concrete slope (a driveway) on the bike. Oops. The $350 of brush guards I didn't need saved $1500 - 2K of damage. In the end it was Oops. The fat girl was scuffed on an engine case, that's it.

Thanks folks

·
Super Moderator
1,754 Posts
Ooh look, more generic mud/rock guards..... :p @QMaze And the people who mod their cars like you posted are putting their artistic spin on them.... Would I do that? Heck no. Some are quite "interesting" for sure. lol

@Plane Dr, you can't go wrong with either the RA's or RB's.... enjoy your purchase. Make sure you post pictures. (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ooh look, more generic mud/rock guards..... :p

@Plane Dr, you can't go wrong with either the RA's or RB's.... enjoy your purchase. Make sure you post pictures. (y)
Ba hahaha. Yeah nothing that artistic! Once I get it home to actually use it I will. I bought it last week, drove it once. It comes home tomorrow for good!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
191 Posts
Yeah my comments were pretty rude, what was I thinking. Everyone has their own taste and flavor and that's really what drives the car community and keeps it interesting or it would be a pretty boring world if we all had the same ideas. Wow that last Subaru pic above has a sexy rear end lol. The underside engineering looks sick.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Always been curious why people like those, for those Canadians here, car accessories that simply look generic were always referred to as Canadian tire specials.
"Canadian Tire specials" made me lol. Great store!

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport
25 Posts
I got some Rally Armor flaps and installed last weekend. I can say that the quality is actually higher on the Rally Armor than on the little OEM ones—the difference is only that the OEM ones fit more streamlined. The problem with the streamlined look is that they don’t have coverage for what they’re supposed to do: stop debris; they’re simply too small. The Rally Armor, alternatively, get the job done much better by providing greater coverage, and I personally love the more rally-inspired design of them more than the OEM look.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed the Rally Armor last night. It appears to be a good quality product and well thought out. Fit was good. Not quite as tight to the wheel well moldings as I hoped but not sure if it would be and better. I expect the function will be like mudflaps.... :D

I did find it strange that 2 of the mounting holes in the rear didn't have the push rivets in them from the factory.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
9 Posts
I have had RA's on my WRX's in the past, and actually installed RB's on my Forester yesterday. The RB's are a much more substantial material. Thicker, stiffer, and the orange looks good with the Sport trim. Not an exact match, but complimentary.

For the record, when taking off the stock mudflaps, there was a significant amount of dirt built up behind the flaps, holding moisture and **** trapped... This is because of the curvy, form-fitting aesthetic design. I will have to keep an eye on the RB's but with the flat on both sides design, I don't think that things will get trapped in there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts