Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the forum search for the past 45 minutes and can't find info/pics of the mods to the Primative front skid plate to retain the "wings" that go into the wheel wells.
I have the 2020 and I'm pretty sure I've seen a thread somewhere.
Anyone?

·
Registered
2020 Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naidu: Thanks.
I had found that one but I think I saw one with photos. I think it was also a '19 or a '20 if I'm not mistaken.
My Primitive front and mid plates should be here in the next couple of days and really don't want to re-invent something that someone has already done if I don't have to.

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
65 Posts
Hi there, I have the first wings Primitive made fitted to my 2019 Forester. They sent me a small template so I could drill the holes for the mounting bolts in the right place. Rest of the world Foresters have a different front profile compared to US Foresters - we have a shallower approach angle by 5 degrees - so I had to modify the skid plate. So I added some lips the matched the underbody profile to help keep the engine bay free of mud and water. The mods did not affect the wings in any way as they are mounted at the back of the skid plates. I will TRY and attach some pics. I usually f--k it up 😁

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there, I have the first wings Primitive made fitted to my 2019 Forester. They sent me a small template so I could drill the holes for the mounting bolts in the right place. Rest of the world Foresters have a different front profile compared to US Foresters - we have a shallower approach angle by 5 degrees - so I had to modify the skid plate. So I added some lips the matched the underbody profile to help keep the engine bay free of mud and water. The mods did not affect the wings in any way as they are mounted at the back of the skid plates. I will TRY and attach some pics. I usually f--k it up 😁
YES! This was exactly what I was thinking I saw in a post. Thank you for replying. (y)
I'm surprised Primitive didn't even mention this when I ordered my front/mid plates. I will call them as soon as they open this morning.

In the mean time - anybody have pics of using the stock plastic with the Primitive plates. I have searched the forums to no avail.

·
Registered
2020 Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just used my oscillating tool to cut the crap out of the stock plastic piece. Sealed the gaps between the Primitive skid plate an bumper valance as well as the "wings" going up into the fender well.
Black pieces are the remnants of what I cut out where as the red lines approximate the original shape of the plastic. I'll see if I can get a shot of the parts on the car under the primitive plate soon.

·
Registered
2020 Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made another mod to the Primitive front skid plate. Being there are only two "real" extraction points on the stock Forester, it would make sense to leave access to them even with an after market skid plate. Now I can fit shackles (hard or soft) in case I need to be pulled out of somewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts