Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 3,000 miles on my 2020 Forester Sport and ever since the first day I noticed that the factory installed roof rails have a wobble. I used the roof rack to haul bikes for about a week and the already loose roof rail's attachment points developed a horrible creaking noise. After taking off the cross bars and bike rack I wigged the rails and realized they move at least 4mm from side to side and make a loud clicking sound. I went to the dealer and asked for them to be tightened but they gave me the standard "it's designed that way" response. I'm finding it extremely hard to believe that this is how they are deigned because the rails on my 2009 Forester were rock solid. I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience. If so, what was the fix?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
They're full of it IMO. The ones on my wife's 2020 Premium are as tight as you would expect. .....no independent movement whatsoever. You pull those rails and the whole car moves with them. ....or as you say, rock solid.

I would contact SOA and tell them what the dealer said. I would suggest tightening them yourself but to be honest, I don't know how the nuts are accessed and I wouldn't suggest pulling the headliner down, etc. at this point until you are sure what to do (if you're going to DIY).

When you went to the dealer, I think you missed a perfect opportunity of walking up to a new Forester on the lot and showing him how they don't move like yours.

If yours are really loose like that, I'd also be concerned about those rails abrading the paint underneath over time. .....also, possible leaks, etc.

EDIT: Here's a couple pages from the FSM showing how the rails are mounted. .....although I only see two locking nuts at the front. I expected to see ones in the middle and aft but they must somehow connect via the molding hardware:

....and here's the removal / install of the molding:

I do see other nuts used in the mid section to hold the Carrier Brackets for hte molding so perhaps those are used to secure the rails? .....still don't know what's going on aft though.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're full of it IMO. The ones on my wife's 2020 Premium are as tight as you would expect. .....no independent movement whatsoever. You pull those rails and the whole car moves with them. ....or as you say, rock solid.

I would contact SOA and tell them what the dealer said. I would suggest tightening them yourself but to be honest, I don't know how the nuts are accessed and I wouldn't suggest pulling the headliner down, etc. at this point until you are sure what to do (if you're going to DIY).

When you went to the dealer, I think you missed a perfect opportunity of walking up to a new Forester on the lot and showing him how they don't move like yours.

If yours are really loose like that, I'd also be concerned about those rails abrading the paint underneath over time. .....also, possible leaks, etc.

EDIT: Here's a couple pages from the FSM showing how the rails are mounted. .....although I only see two locking nuts at the front. I expected to see ones in the middle and aft but they must somehow connect via the molding hardware:

View attachment 544390

View attachment 544391

....and here's the removal / install of the molding:

View attachment 544392

View attachment 544393

View attachment 544394

I do see other nuts used in the mid section to hold the Carrier Brackets for hte molding so perhaps those are used to secure the rails? .....still don't know what's going on aft though.

Anyhow, hope this helps.
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna try a different dealer this Friday in hopes that they will be more competent. I'll definitely shake some other Foresters on the lot before I walk inside. If they can't fix it, I'll definitely be calling SOA because I'm also dealing with a transmission shudder. The roof rails will be the cherry on top ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna try a different dealer this Friday in hopes that they will be more competent. I'll definitely shake some other Foresters on the lot before I walk inside. If they can't fix it, I'll definitely be calling SOA because I'm also dealing with a transmission shudder. The roof rails will be the cherry on top ;)
I'm curious how this got resolved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts