Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forrester touring, Magnetite Gray metallic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my car the lane centering it’s not really centered, it needs to be like 2 inches to the left, no matter how wide the lane.
(We have a Parkway that has a high cement wall to the right, 2 Inches closer to the center would be far less scary).
  • Even on the freeway, I see the left headlight from the car behind.
  • (Got to say it works good though, no ping-pong, above 37=blue lines=nice)
Is there a dealer adjustment, like there is the back up camera?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,310 Posts
"I see left headlight behind me". What did you mean? If you mean left mirror, then I would say you are too far to the right, and this is common around here. So common for driver's here to always clip the lane markers on their right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I see the headlights through my left rear view mirror. Hope there’s an adjustment, because I really like it!

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,310 Posts
If you see headlights on left, it means you are not driving centered in lane. It means you are driving slightly too far to the right. As I said it's very very common. I see this everywhere. So why the system needs adjustment?

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,701 Posts
I would be truly amazed if you could tell the difference between the current setting and 2 inches either way. It sounds ridiculous.
Where a car is behind you, and what you see of it has nothing to do with your setting for centering, as the driver behind you can be anywhere in the lane.
Many people don't drive in the exact center, and many don't even seem to realize there are lines in the first place... ;).
If you consider that in some cases, like on every two way road, if you are a bit too far to the left it results it a head on collision...
Not a great idea.
If your problem is that you don't like the headlight of the car behind you in your left mirror, it's because your outside mirror should be adjusted out.
You don't need/want it to look straight back - That's what the inside mirror is for.
The outside mirrors should be aimed so that you can see cars beyond the inside mirror's view.
First, sit up straight with your back against the back of the driver’s seat. Then, lean your head to the left until you are leaning against the driver’s side window.
Finally, adjust the side-view mirror until you can barely see the left side of your vehicle.
In this position, you won't see the lights of the car directly behind you, but more importantly, you WILL see the car in your left mirror if you are thinking about passing.
For situational awareness, you should always know what is around your vehicle.
With the right side, do the same except lean over as far as comfortable to the right and the mirror is adjusted when you get the same view (barely able to see the car's side).
You will now have eliminated blind spots on both sides of the car, and the lights of those behind won't be shining in your eyes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree wouldn’t be able to tell 2 inches, what I’m saying is I’m more comfortable driving slightly more to the left then where it is currently set.
- (it reminds me of a person driving a new motorhome)
I would also have to say, I love this thing!

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,701 Posts
OK - You might want to talk to SOA if the dealer doesn't know.. (there are a LOT of things they don't)
My guess is that the system as designed is to seek a center between which Eyesight perceives to be the center point between what Eyesight perceives to be the two sides of the lane. If that is true, there isn't likely to be an adjustment.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
67 Posts
Sorry, can't help with "off center." We've only had our 2020 Touring for a week, but we are impressed with the adaptive cruise control and lane centering. Seems to be spot on.

We drive into town on 55 mph highways. There is a big sweeping "S" curve a few miles away on the way to our daughter's house.

We are still under the 1,000 break-in, but my husband couldn't resist playing with the adaptive cruise control and lane centering, just to see if it works.

We were absolutely amazed when my husband loosened his grip on the steering wheel, and the lane centering combined with the cruise control took us through the sweeping "S" curve without human imput.

Not recommending you do this. And the 2020 scolded my husband with a "Keep Your Hands On The Steering Wheel" alert.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited
57 Posts
I'm not impressed by the lane centering feature in my 2020 Forester. It makes a ton of very noticeable micro adjustments and sometimes just doesn't work/disables even with clear markings. Contrast this to my brother's 2017 Honda CR-V which I drove several hundred miles from dusk to the middle of night with NO steering input until I exited the interstate; and it was extremely smooth (no ping-ponging). Unfortunately my Forester would have turned off on my numerous times and repeatedly tried to take exits. Subaru has more work to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up a 2020 Forester a couple of weeks ago after driving a 2018 for 3 years. I have the same issue; the assist puts me too far to the right. I am comparing this not only to my previous forester, but also as a helicopter pilot where my life depended on knowing where the center is. My right knee and crotch should not be in the middle of the road. Will be contacting the dealer.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,669 Posts
Is this consistent on roads with clearly marked stripes on both sides vs those with fuzzy edges or Jersey barriers? Who knows what goes on inside Eyesight's edge algorithm?

I have noticed that the Lane Departure alarm does tend to go off just a bit early. I've attributed that to extra caution. This would be kind of opposite to what you're seeing. The lawyers made them do it!

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,310 Posts
Just picked up a 2020 Forester a couple of weeks ago after driving a 2018 for 3 years. I have the same issue; the assist puts me too far to the right. I am comparing this not only to my previous forester, but also as a helicopter pilot where my life depended on knowing where the center is. My right knee and crotch should not be in the middle of the road. Will be contacting the dealer.
Wow, that's really out of adjustment.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,310 Posts
Mind you. There are drivers around here, that purposely drive the way you describe, ie their crotch is in the middle of the road. To the point where their right side starts to clip the right land markers. Even to the point of ignoring the lane bumpers thumping their right tires. They just don't care around here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think Subaru could add an adjustment left or right just like adding one or two seconds to follow.
(no doubt it would have to be a fine adjustment because of the lawyers).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts