Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lane assist in my 2020 Forester is a bit scary at times. As I approach an off ramp but want to continue straight ahead, the car veers hard right, following the white line going into the exit. Can this be adjusted? Also, I have often had two hands on the steering wheel and I still get the warning to keep my hands on the wheel. Are there fixes or adjustments for either of these issues?

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Lineartronic® CVT
276 Posts
I'd have to check the library, but I thought it could be adjusted. Mine is a '19, if on it just "suggestively like" nudges one, very faint, certainly not enough to affect control by an attentive driver. Most of the time, I have it turned off as it still sounds a audio and visual alarm. The electric assisted steering takes learning.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited
17 Posts
Mine behaves the same and it’s fairly annoying; I believe it talks about that specifically in the manual.

I don’t think the steering wheel can actually feel the touch of your hands but looks for more of small adjustments in your input while it’s “assisting.” When you see the warning, if you give the steering wheels a tiny nudge, it’ll instantly disappear.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
39 Posts
I never use the feature any more because of the keep your hands on the wheel warning. I agree with egrumpy that it seems to be looking for small inputs from your hands, which in my experience are totally unnecessary except to avoid the warning. I never had it steer onto an exit ramp, but I really only used it a few times. Could be a useful feature I think, but just annoying as implemented.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The lane assist in my 2020 Forester is a bit scary at times. As I approach an off ramp but want to continue straight ahead, the car veers hard right, following the white line going into the exit. Can this be adjusted? Also, I have often had two hands on the steering wheel and I still get the warning to keep my hands on the wheel. Are there fixes or adjustments for either of these issues?

Thanks
The computer is trying to follow a left and a right track. When you are near an exit, the right lane marker on the road breaks right so the computer does not know what to do.
You should always keep your hand on the steering wheel as if you were driving. You will eventually get used to it. From time to time it will disengage because this is not designed to be fully autonomous.

for the steering wheel part, it is is not about the touch, but rotation. You need to apply a a slight pull downwards or upwards like if you were trying to steer for the system to know you are there.

again this is not deigned to be fully autonomous driving. You need to be “driving” the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The computer is trying to follow a left and a right track. When you are near an exit, the right lane marker on the road breaks right so the computer does not know what to do.
You should always keep your hand on the steering wheel as if you were driving. You will eventually get used to it. From time to time it will disengage because this is not designed to be fully autonomous.

for the steering wheel part, it is is not about the touch, but rotation. You need to apply a a slight pull downwards or upwards like if you were trying to steer for the system to know you are there.

again this is not deigned to be fully autonomous driving. You need to be “driving” the car.
Yes, I understand it's not fully autonomous. Its just annoying when I have both hands on the wheel and get the warning.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
39 Posts
Yes, I understand it's not fully autonomous. Its just annoying when I have both hands on the wheel and get the warning.
I'd go further and say it's worthless as implemented. Why on earth would anybody constantly nudge the steering wheel this way or that when the car is doing a perfectly good job staying between the lines? I'm not asking for full autonomy, just a better way to determine if my hands are on the wheel..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, in fact, my wife has "trained" me not to be wiggling the steering wheel back and forth as it makes her car sick.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,203 Posts
I keep it disabled all the time, but especially in the winter here in New England. I have encountered situations where the lane departure alarm gets fooled by tracks left by the snowplows, and I wouldn't want the same thing to happen with any sort of auto-correction feature.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
39 Posts
Haha! Here in Maryland, they put down brine before a snowstorm and it makes parallel white lines on the road, which the lane departure alarm apparently can't distinguish from the lane markers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts