Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, not sure where to post this, but yesterday I’ve had a problem with my Subaru.

I thought I had parked the car uphill outside the garage and left my car to grab some stuff while the car was still on with the keys in, didn’t realize I left the car on Drive. I changed my mind and decided to turn the car off to go in my house, so while standing outside of the drivers sit while the car stood still on, I took off the key. Immediately the car began reversing. Scared out of my mind I tried to switch the gear shifter to parking and obviously it didn’t move. Luckily my brother jumped in the car and stepped on the break pedal to make the car stop.

After that we put the key in and parked the car. Has anyone been able to remove their car keys while the car is on Drive. We’ve tried to recreate this event many times at home to see if it can happen again, and while on Drive the key doesn’t come out. Is weird that it happened that one time for me. Please let me know if you guys have heard of this before, not sure if I should take the car to the mechanic in case if something else may be wrong with the car, although they probably won’t be able to recreate the event either. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
593 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had a similar experience. My drive way is on an incline and did manage to turn off the car while on drive and be able to pull out the key.
But mine is a '14, and I have done the same on my manual sports cars to have a quick reaction time to jump back in and stop the cars.

They ignition key should lock up the key, but really you can force it out if you really wanted too. I'm thinking maybe you hit the shifter on neutral from drive, its super easy bump it to neutral while on drive. its designed that way.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'll get into the practice to use the parking brake before turning off the car. Hopefully if it ever happens you'll at lest know it wont roll away....well it won't roll away with speed, there be some resistance..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had a similar experience. My drive way is on an incline and did manage to turn off the car while on drive and be able to pull out the key.
But mine is a '14, and I have done the same on my manual sports cars to have a quick reaction time to jump back in and stop the cars.

They ignition key should lock up the key, but really you can force it out if you really wanted too. I'm thinking maybe you hit the shifter on neutral from drive, its super easy bump it to neutral while on drive. its designed that way.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'll get into the practice to use the parking brake before turning off the car. Hopefully if it ever happens you'll at lest know it wont roll away....well it won't roll away with speed, there be some resistance..
Thank you so much for your reply. I will be more aware from now on at not leaving the car on Drive. 🤗🤗🤗

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,388 Posts
@Meeks Welcome to the forum,

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Note that your thread(s) could be closed if your "Public Profile" is not completed!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts