Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
77 Posts
@Nadzup
Hi, I do believe that front sway bar links are a bit of a problem on any lifted SK Forester including mine. I have a 1.5 inch lift from a leading supplier using a top spacer

Further to your sway bar link problem and NOT necessarily but possibly affecting Iron Man spring lifts as well as strut spacer lifts there is an issue with the SK Forester front sway bar link that may or may not affect one depending on how strictly these modifications are vetted - if at all - by your local regulatory authorities.
I had a 1.5 inch strut spacer lift installed but the inspectors found that when the car was on a hoist allowing FULL suspension droop and at full lock the front link just touched the steering rod. These was deemed unacceptable and a fail. In real life this can only happen if the vehicle is airborne and the steering cranked hard over. The inspector suggested a shorter link. On looking at installation guides and YouTube install videos I saw that LP Aventure of Canada and Rallitek provide an extension bracket that bolts to the strut and lifts the link effectively shortening the link. I approached both companies to see if I could buy the brackets. LP Aventure declined on the basis that they only sell complete kits, which is fair enough, while Rallitek were more forthcoming and advised me to wait a bit as they are developing a new shorter and reconfigured swaybar link for the SK Forester to overcome the fouling issue and that it may be available in a few months. In the meantime we replaced the 315mm long OEM link with a 278mm long universal link but still had a fouling issue. I now have a 225 mm long White lines heavy duty link. This has alleviated the fouling issue but the sway bar geometry is not quite correct. It points upwards instead of being parallel with the ground when the wheels are on the ground. This seems fine in normal driving but may have some negatives on rough stuff. It might not - I just don't know. I'd be interested to know if anybody else has had this problem.

·
Registered
2020 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@JessD Thanks for input :) I also already have the 225/60/r18 trails on mine LOL! They look nice but too small… I’m confused about you saying that 225/60/r18 is slightly larger than 225/65/r17? I thought the 17’s make that size actually larger technically? I think I agree that the 235/65/r17 would be perfect. I’m just so torn because I think the AT3Ws and KO2s look so good! I need people to tell me how unpractical this is so that I feel better about getting the trails LOL.

·
Registered
2020 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@Gavinbaker wow that sounds intense to me haha. I definitely was told by need longer sway bar links though by the dealer and not shorter!!! But anyways, Ironman said to stick with the regular OEM links so I’m just having the one replaced. Hoping it doesn’t happen again so will keep updated!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
98 Posts
@Nadzup oh, I meant that in the overall diameter, it's like a 10th of an inch larger, definitely more sidewall on the 225/65r17s though. And lol OK, so a few weeks back, myself and my friend with the 245/65r17 trails went to to a legit off road park. With another forester with I think the Yokohama g015s and we all had absolutely no issues what so ever going up obstacles, all without dealing with all the extra unsprung weight and loss of MPG that the heavier duty all terrains would cause. In my opinion, the wildpeak trails are more capable than our foresters lol not only that, but I hear trucks with the ko2s screaming down the highway, actually used that in my old car to tell me when I had someone in my blind spot haha.

·
Registered
2020 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
@JessD hahahaha amazing !!! Your post made me happy and feel confident about that choice :) Thank you!

·
Registered
Planned 2022 Forester Touring Owner
229 Posts
Oh man, didn't realize you were having issues in the front.. thought I had a possible solution as a friend and I both started having a clunk at the same time on the trails with our '19s, and both with the ironman lift. Turns out bolts in the rear sway bar bracket got loose. So far, I haven't had any issues in the front myself, but I know that they changed up the design, as my lift is different than my friends lift with his being older.

As for the tires, my friend has the 245/65r17 wildpeak trails and they look almost too big. I've got the 225/60r18 wildpeak trails which is just a hair larger than the 225/65r17 and they look almost too small haha. Seems like the 235/65r17 would be the perfect size with this lift.
Do you have any pictures of your friend's forester with those 245/65r17 tires? I would love to see what they look like. I expect I will do the 235/65r17 at some point. That seems to be where the consensus lands on best aftermarket tire size. Plus I don't want too major of an impact to the speedometer. I've got enough of a led foot as it is. I don't need the MPH difference throwing me off too.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
98 Posts
@zachavm yup! Snagged one of the 3 of us after the trail ride. Him and I both have the same ironman lift with mine being newer and slightly different in design, and we're both running the falken wildpeak trails. He's got the 245/65r17 and I've got the 225/60r18s. I will also say if you get the 235/65r17s for the falken WP trails, they have an xl rating, whereas the 245 size are sl.

@Nadzup Also, I'll add that we did the entire trail that cars and trucks are allowed on instead of just doing sections here or there.

·
Registered
229 Posts
@JessD So how has the ironman lift worked out for you with Eyesight? Have you noticed any difference in the performance of Adaptive Cruise Control or Lane Keep Assist? I have yet to hear anyone who has, but I've heard some talk about it causing problems on the Ascent forum. I'm planning a 2022 Forester purchase and I know you don't have Lane centering on your car, but that and ACC are some of the main features I'm looking forward too.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
98 Posts
@zachavm no issues what so ever after about 2 months of having it, still thinks I'm about to crash into the sign as I'm going to my office, lane keep assist has no issues seeing the lane, adaptive cruise control works perfectly and still sees motorcycles, and lane keep assist still works to keep me mostly centered on road trips.

Though... I think we hijacked Nadzup's thread... haha

·
Registered
229 Posts
@JessD
In all seriousness though, I am VERY interested in the Ironman life. I don't even know for sure that I will get into off-roading, but I just want the look and the higher driving position of the lift. What type of a difference have you noticed in driving with the extra 2 inches? How has the feel changed?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts