Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I’d like some input ob this. I have had my lift for 3 ish months and recently started to hear a knocking sound over bumps. A shop diagnosed it as worn out front sway bar link. Took it to the dealer and it’s not under warranty due to the lift. Said they could replace it but it would be better to get an aftermarket sway bark link/parts that can with hold the extra load so it doesn’t happen again.
Anyone else have this issue or know which parts I’m supposed to buy to upgrade this part?
I don’t know much about cars so I’m kind of freaking out.
Thanks!
Natalie

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT, CVT
87 Posts
Don't know if there are aftermarket endlinks that fit the SK chassis. Nothing comes up on any sites. Ur going to have to do the research. Easy way to find out is if the OEM part number for the endlinks match the older generations. If it does then u can get endlinks that fit the STI/WRX/SJ forester. If it doesn’t. Then it’s trial and error. U may want to look into rear adjustable control arms too. I don’t know how much of alignment issue lifting a car makes. Just lowering. Lol.

·
Registered
2020 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Killer7even86 After speaking with the dealer more they said I need longer sway bar links to withhold the added stress as currently the geometry is off. Some reason when ordering a lift kit I thought they would include everything to keep the geometry specs in line. I’ve contacted Ironman and they are getting back to me this week (though I’d prefer not to order from the states again as duty fees are steep). From doing research I can see adjustable links are a thing so you can get the length you want, so maybe that is an option!
I hope someone else with this lift and model can recommend as I’ve seen a couple others posted same model and lift (yes I DMd them!) :)

·
Administrator
17,275 Posts
@Nadzup You probably need adjustable end-links for the sway bar; for example

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
1 Posts
The Iron Man kit came with plates to lower the sway bar to supposedly correct this issue. I recently installed an ironman kit on my 2020 Forester and did not threadlock the bushing bolts properly and lost me bushings and bushing plates the next day, now tying to source replacements.

·
Registered
Planned 2022 Forester Touring Owner
228 Posts
@Nadzup Did you install this or did a shop install it? If a shop did it, make sure they installed all the components correctly. If they didn't I would think they should be on the hook for their installation causing damage. You can watch the install video on the website and check out all the locations they mention to make sure the components are installed appropriately.

·
Premium Member
2021 Forester Sport
25 Posts
@Nadzup
Man you're scaring me now, I just had the lift installed on Friday by a reputable shop😳. I agree with @zachavm, if a shop did it, look into them taking a look and acknowledge their error if any.

On the topic of bringing it to the dealer, did they say anything about the lift voiding the warranty for other parts of the car? I totally expect the suspension warranty to be gone due to the lift, but I also heard dealers can make a case, even if false, that mods like these can screw you. Just looking for your input with the experience.

·
Registered
2020 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@zachavm @Chris1967

So the shop that installed it is the one I brought it to and they diagnosed the damaged sway bar link. I brought to Subaru by a chance they’d warranty it. Because of the lift they will not warranty it and they are the ones who told me I need to get longer sway bar links to hold the extra stress on them or it’ll happen again. So I panicked and searched everywhere on the web and since our model is so new there isn’t any longer links currently (maybe some adjustable ones out there possibly…). Anyways Ironman told me we do NOT need longer links and that someone else had my same issue. It turned out the shop damaged it when installing.

I called the shop who did the install and they hesitantly will order the new link for me (which I have to pay for) and then they will install for free…Honestly I’m happy as I was expecting to pay like $600 for new expensive links and install haha.
I don’t think they took it well that I said it was likely caused by their install. They said they “had” to take out the sway link and it’s an easy twist off so unlikely to be damaged. Anyways… I’m okay with this compromise after all the stress :)

Thanks for reading my novel. And to anyone else- no you don’t need longer sway bar links with the Ironman lift thank goodness. Hopefully this fixes the issue!

·
Registered
2020 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, Yes, the suspension and anything related to the suspension install will not be warrantied with Subaru. But from my research, everything else will still be warranty. Don’t even want to think about it not being as I paid extra for more warranty ;)

·
Premium Member
2021 Forester Sport
25 Posts
Alright alright cool, now I'm just hoping the shop that did mine did it right haha. To be safe, I'm going to have the shop inspect it after a few more hundred miles to make sure everything's all good.

Don’t even want to think about it not being as I paid extra for more warranty ;)
SAME! Lol but it is always good to be realistic and preventative just in case

·
Registered
2020 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Chris1967 Definitely! What wheels/tyres you getting btw? I still need to do that part but spreading out the cost. Literally so torn between KO2s and Falken AT3W or Falken AT/Trail - I have trails now but would get bigger.

·
Premium Member
2021 Forester Sport
25 Posts
I wouldn’t be the best person to ask for an opinion on this (I’m super new) but I have done research and went with the trails. Downsized the OEM wheels to lighter 17’s and got 225/65/17 wp at trails. Lovin them so far minus the mpg drop lol. From what I’ve read, the at3’s and ko2’s are too big and heavy for the 4banger we have haha. Now I’ve got a full set of nearly new OEMs sitting in my garage, but i have no ragrets¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
2020 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Chris1967 Another guy on here has 245/65/r17 AT trails and they’re badass! He said the same thing about the KO2s. I just notice a lot of people have them on their lifted Foresters. So do you think saying they’re “too heavy” means it will EAT your mpgs or what?
I was thinking 235/65/r17 trails maybe as the dude said 245s rub a bit. I also do a bunch of commuting so don’t want to kill my mpg (makes me sad you said yours did), but still need the car to be sick haha.

·
Registered
2020 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Chris1967 wanna DM me a pic of your lifted sub with those tires haha? :D or post here. Wanna see what that size looks like with those :) thanks

·
Premium Member
2021 Forester Sport
25 Posts
@Nadzup From what I've read, they're noisy, make your car way slower, eat gas, put more stress on things, and just meant for trucks/heavier vehicles. If you're in a crazy area requiring those they could work but depends on your situation! Trails are for the happy medium but I'm no expert haha. And sure, not the best pics, but they should do.
tempImageMCvi1C.png
tempImage98yVIE.png
tempImagel4AiLL.png

·
Registered
2020 Forester
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Chris1967 I think you’ve convinced me with the trails :) I do love mine but it’ll look so sick bigger. Yours looks awesome !!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Although many dealers would have you think otherwise, simply having an aftermarket part or modifying your vehicle cannot void your warranty. ... The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.
Hey guys!
I’d like some input ob this. I have had my lift for 3 ish months and recently started to hear a knocking sound over bumps. A shop diagnosed it as worn out front sway bar link. Took it to the dealer and it’s not under warranty due to the lift. Said they could replace it but it would be better to get an aftermarket sway bark link/parts that can with hold the extra load so it doesn’t happen again.
Anyone else have this issue or know which parts I’m supposed to buy to upgrade this part?
I don’t know much about cars so I’m kind of freaking out.
Thanks!
Natalie

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
98 Posts
Oh man, didn't realize you were having issues in the front.. thought I had a possible solution as a friend and I both started having a clunk at the same time on the trails with our '19s, and both with the ironman lift. Turns out bolts in the rear sway bar bracket got loose. So far, I haven't had any issues in the front myself, but I know that they changed up the design, as my lift is different than my friends lift with his being older.

As for the tires, my friend has the 245/65r17 wildpeak trails and they look almost too big. I've got the 225/60r18 wildpeak trails which is just a hair larger than the 225/65r17 and they look almost too small haha. Seems like the 235/65r17 would be the perfect size with this lift.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts