Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT; 2020 Forester Premium
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 Premium can't seem to get the Ipod to work. The Starlink manual doesn't list any of the more recent Ipod touches. Does this mean it's not supported?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
191 Posts
How are you trying to get it to work? USB/CarPlay, Bluetooth, Aux?

If it's CarPlay, then your device won't work.
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • iPhone 11
  • iPhone XS
  • iPhone XS Max
  • iPhone XR
  • iPhone X
  • iPhone 8
  • iPhone 8 Plus
  • iPhone 7
  • iPhone 7 Plus
  • iPhone 6s
  • iPhone 6s Plus
  • iPhone 6
  • iPhone 6 Plus
  • iPhone SE
  • iPhone 5s
  • iPhone 5c
  • iPhone 5

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
USB. The system identifies the Ipod under Media, but nothing plays, the directories don't show, you can't sort by anything and the metadata doesn't seem to be recognized.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
191 Posts
It doesn't look like it's supported. I saw that you said it didn't list it so I looked it up and this is what I pulled from the media manual for the 2019. With how proprietary Apple products are, it's hard to find a solution without engineering experience or time and luck. Googling shows a plethora of problems with playing media with Apple products over USB. I think I've come across problems too. Would playing through the aux port be a good alternative for you?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, but according to that list, the Iphone 8, x or 11 aren't supported either. Obviously, you're just shooting in the dark. You think I don't know how to read the manual? :(

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
191 Posts
Nah it's not that I don't think you know how to read the manual, it just gives me and other readers a better understanding showing the list.

My device (iPhone XR) doesn't show up there either, but when I connect with USB, it goes through CarPlay. I'll try to use the USB connection and play through the infotainment in a bit and report back.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem with the Carplay approach is that I can't then use either my spouse's Iphone for navigation, or my Pixel, since Subaru's approach to USB ports only allows one port to be active at a time. This has been extensively discussed elsewhere, and is not a Apple/Carplay issue but a Subaru one.

Why Subaru can't, after all these years and good sales, get its infotainment right is beyond me. Others, including my Kia rental of this past fall, do a far better job. It's not magic, it's just having a few more drivers. Probably costs a few more cents per vehicle, and they don't want to pay!

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
148 Posts
One of the reasons I ditched my infotainment for a Kenwood 9904s within 3 months of ownership. You might be better off to create a play list in iTunes and send it to a USB stick.
Lou Cioccio my 2¢

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of the reasons I ditched my infotainment for a Kenwood 9904s within 3 months of ownership. You might be better off to create a play list in iTunes and send it to a USB stick.
Lou Cioccio my 2¢
Yes, a USB stick seems to work fine. The problem though, is keeping track of what to delete and what to add. If someone knew how to find the tracks that I heard already so I could delete them, a USB stick might work. But I have a large library that I want to load for an extended road trip. I know I wouldn't know what I listened to en route, and my notebook computer doesn't have the spare storage that would let me manage Itunes from it. I use my desktop that has lots of storage. The other problem is that we often travel to places with no cell service, so an all streaming solution won't work. And, my spouse's Iphone is mostly for photos, so she wouldn't be happy if I filled it up with podcasts.

·
Registered
2019 Forester, Touring CVT
166 Posts
Just an idea but if you have an older iPhone that is not being used you can try it.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
91 Posts
I use a 32 gb SanDisk Ultra Fit USB flash drive. Music on the drive is copied and placed on drive, sorted by subdirectories: artist/album/songs. I'm able to select an artist or an album. Seems to work just fine. The drive itself is really tiny, doesn't stick out of port much at all. Might be a solution for you

I leave the drive installed 24/7. When the drive is first inserted, it does take a while for the system to index the songs. As I recall, my husband also tried a 64gb Ultra Fit, but seemed slower.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,775 Posts
When my 2014 2.5 Limited has been in for work and I've had a 2019 or 2020 loaner, I've had no issues with Android Auto putting Waze or Google maps to the screen and then using my iPod for media/audio. But I'm also using an older iPod Touch (3rd and/or 5th gen).

As for the "why" some work and some don't - it's complicated. And it really isn't much that Subaru can do about it - because they don't make the head unit. It's made by somebody else (harman kardon? used to be clarion and fujistu). It's how THEY build the unit and what they are tasked with providing.

My suggestion on the iPod - go online and buy a used older generation iPod. I had issues with the newer units recognizing my even older iPod (a 3rd gen Nano) that my 2014 has no issues with. So I got a touch (and then another and another) and found they've all worked will with my 2014 unit and the loaners I've had recently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts