Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5i-S Jasper Green.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
First time posting here so apologies if I'm in the wrong section.

Im a total car novice and a first time Subaru owner. I own a 2020 model, Australian release, 2.5i-S.

I love my new Forester! Its the best car I've ever owned and probably even the best car I've ever driven. But when I learned about the iDrive I thought, well why not add a little more acceleration?

The videos I've watched show that its super easy to install. However I just can't seem to 'pop' out my accelerator cable plug like everyone does in all of the videos.

Im hoping someone has a tip for me?

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5 CVT base model
293 Posts
Interested to see how that performs for you 'cause I've been looking at them too.
The cynic in me wonders why a vehicle with so much electronic wizardry couldn't have the best possible throttle response in the first place?
Good test case here, let me know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
@Surfrat,

I think (according to conversations Ive had with friends) the Forester is de-tuned for sale in Australia - Meaning the car doesn't perform to its potential.
The iDrive helps unlock some of the potential.

Of course, this is all just stuff Ive been told by friends and none of them are mechanics or work for Subaru. So they could all be wrong.

But its only a small investment, not a huge risk to try it out and see if it actually does anything.

That is, if I can get the accelerator cable plug out and install it!:ROFLMAO:

I'll definitely come back and post my anecdotal findings when I do eventually get it installed.

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5 CVT base model
293 Posts
It stops over accelerating?
The hype says that it gives MORE acceleration with less throttle input.
There is no pretense at all that more power is extracted from the engine.
The available killerwasps are the same in Aust release vehicles as overseas so I don't know about de tuning.
It seems that the iDrive simply 'compresses' the throttle response to a shorter travel.
Still, actual use will determine it's true value.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, I'm with you Surfrat, only a true trial will tell me if all the hype is worth it.

Still, I won't be able to know until I get the accelerator cable plug out - Hopefully someone drops a comment here to let me in on the trick to pulling the plug out. I dont know why it looks so easy on the videos but when I try to do it I can't make it budge :unsure:

·
Administrator
16,390 Posts
G'day & Welcome aboard @Parramacca
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not..

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,379 Posts
... it gives MORE acceleration with less throttle input.
There is no pretense at all that more power is extracted from the engine.
This. All you have to do is move your foot and accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This. All you have to do is move your foot and accomplish the same thing.
I can't argue with that logic. I kind of feel the same way, just thought I'd give it a go because its only a $250 investment.
Most of the guys I know, who are interested in car performance, seem to think it makes a noticeable difference. But then again that could just be confirmation bias.

Anyway, still no closer to being able to tell for myself - Until I get some advice on how to remove the accelerator cable plug.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?
Is there a certain technique to removing it? A clip Im supposed to push in? A magic word Im supposed to say 3 times?😂

·
Registered
2021 Forester 2.5 Sports CVT, SI-Drive (S & I modes)
229 Posts
@Parramacca,
Hi mate, I just installed an iDrive/Ultimate9 in my MY21 Sport and it sure does take the throttle lag away, I'm loving it and found the best instructions on how to install the plug here

Cheers
Ian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts