Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 base trim.... It would've been two months out of the showroom a couple of days back.
I been noticing - particularly on cold starts, that the tachometer reads (anywhere) between 1500 and 1800 rpm when I'm still idling in [P]ark.... It promptly drops down to 800-1000 rpm when I shift into gear - [R]everse or [D]rive, but 800-1000 rpm is what I'd expect to see when I first start her up, and am still idling in [P]. 馃馃
Now, I may well be wrong, but has anyone experienced - or is still experiencing, this?
Appreciate your feedback....

Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
That鈥檚 normal until it reaches operating temps. No worries. Just don鈥檛 gun it after a cold start.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks @Whitesc!
Now, that you mention it, I do find that the tacho. reading does stabilise at 800-1000 rpm after a minute or two.... So, your advice is duly noted - and much appreciated(y)(y)

Registered
I will say it does behave differently that other vehicles I own. Even after it's fully warmed up, when you first start the vehicle it likes to hold higher RPM for a bit longer than my other new vehicles.

Completely normal behavior though.

Registered
2001 Forester
Due to emissions requirements, GDI technology, oil dilution issues with so many manufacturers, this pretty much requires faster warm-up times. Hence I am not surprised by high RPM at idle. And with the use of 0w-XX oils, this higher RPM should not be a big issue, the oil pretty much flows like water when cold.

Registered
2020 Subaru Forester
Sorry to continue this old thread. I am observing similar phenomenon as @ViTB did. Although I know that it is normal after reading the thread, I am wondering that whether it is beneficial for the engine if I wait till the idle rpm settled below 1000 before shifting it out of P and start driving? I mean that was what I am doing rn but it does take a solid minute or two to settle the rpm.

Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
Hi @peterJP - generally, moving the shift lever from P to D or R at the slightly higher RPMs will not really cause problems, as the computer will drop the RPMs before actually going to reverse or drive. So don't worry about it too much...

If you want - start the car first, then put on your seatbelt, adjust the HVAC, the radio, to give the engine even that much more time to normally settle down.

Registered
2020 Subaru Forester
Hi @peterJP - generally, moving the shift lever from P to D or R at the slightly higher RPMs will not really cause problems, as the computer will drop the RPMs before actually going to reverse or drive. So don't worry about it too much...

If you want - start the car first, then put on your seatbelt, adjust the HVAC, the radio, to give the engine even that much more time to normally settle down.
Thank you @FozzieBalou ! It is great to hear. Yeah normally the rpm is settled before I have setup my Google map nav., but sometimes I just have fewer things to do before driving...Yet your reply definitely gives me peace of mind!

Registered
I think the one that annoys me most is when it likes to have a high idle when starting even though the car is already warm.

It's normal but sounds awful

Registered
2020 Subaru Forester
I think the one that annoys me most is when it likes to have a high idle when starting even though the car is already warm.

It's normal but sounds awful
Hi @umrdyldo, can you give more detail about your concern? So far what my experience is:

Cold start: ~1800 rpm (very high, noisy, lasts ~20s)-->~1200rpm (high, not noisy, lasts ~1min)-->~800rpm (normal, very quiet)

Hot start (have used the car in an hour or so): ~1200rpm (lasts ~30s)-->~800rpm

Since I only bought the car in July, I don't know how it behaves in winter, but I found that the term "cold" in "cold start" has little thing to do with outside temp. It only relates to oil temp. as far as I know.

Registered
Hi @umrdyldo, can you give more detail about your concern? So far what my experience is:

Cold start: ~1800 rpm (very high, noisy, lasts ~20s)-->~1200rpm (high, not noisy, lasts ~1min)-->~800rpm (normal, very quiet)

Hot start (have used the car in an hour or so): ~1200rpm (lasts ~30s)-->~800rpm

Since I only bought the car in July, I don't know how it behaves in winter, but I found that the term "cold" in "cold start" has little thing to do with outside temp. It only relates to oil temp. as far as I know.
Yeah the hot start 30 seconds at 1200 is about right. I'm just not used to the Subaru sounds yet as this is my first one.

Registered
2017 Forester XT
Sorry to continue this old thread. I am observing similar phenomenon as @ViTB did. Although I know that it is normal after reading the thread, I am wondering that whether it is beneficial for the engine if I wait till the idle rpm settled below 1000 before shifting it out of P and start driving? I mean that was what I am doing rn but it does take a solid minute or two to settle the rpm.
my '17 FA20DIT turbo XT engine behaves very similarly. even if I do wait 1-2 minutes for lower idle speeds before driving away, the transmission is programmed to hold higher rpms -- say, 2200 rpm even on slow speed level streets at constant speed -- so that the engine and transmission can warm up more quickly. I see no evidence of anything to worry about yet at our 55,000 miles; oil consumption is still undetectable between changes at 5,000 miles.

Registered
2002 Forester 5MT, 2020 Forester Touring
This is the new normal for Subaru, but it not new in general. My 2005 Volvo behaves this way, and since it does not drop the RPMs when I shift into gear I wait the 30-45 seconds or so (feels like 30-45 minutes) before shifting into gear to avoid a hard shift. Since I was used to that behavior on the Volvo, it didn't feel so bad on my 2020 Forester.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts