Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 base trim.... It would've been two months out of the showroom a couple of days back.
I been noticing - particularly on cold starts, that the tachometer reads (anywhere) between 1500 and 1800 rpm when I'm still idling in [P]ark.... It promptly drops down to 800-1000 rpm when I shift into gear - [R]everse or [D]rive, but 800-1000 rpm is what I'd expect to see when I first start her up, and am still idling in [P]. 馃馃
Now, I may well be wrong, but has anyone experienced - or is still experiencing, this?
Appreciate your feedback....

Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
That鈥檚 normal until it reaches operating temps. No worries. Just don鈥檛 gun it after a cold start.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks @Whitesc!
Now, that you mention it, I do find that the tacho. reading does stabilise at 800-1000 rpm after a minute or two.... So, your advice is duly noted - and much appreciated(y)(y)

Registered
I will say it does behave differently that other vehicles I own. Even after it's fully warmed up, when you first start the vehicle it likes to hold higher RPM for a bit longer than my other new vehicles.

Completely normal behavior though.

Registered
2001 Forester
Due to emissions requirements, GDI technology, oil dilution issues with so many manufacturers, this pretty much requires faster warm-up times. Hence I am not surprised by high RPM at idle. And with the use of 0w-XX oils, this higher RPM should not be a big issue, the oil pretty much flows like water when cold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts