Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey There!
I called a local tint shop and they said they cannot the front windows on my 2020 Subaru Forester because they have UV in the window inscription. Something about damaging the window when removing this coating. Is anyone familiar with this? Should I worry about this and instead go to a different tint shop? Also, what % would you recommend for a moonroof? I like light getting in for sure but want to cut down on heat.

Thanks!

·
Registered
04 forester 5mt N/A, 17 impreza at N/A
83 Posts
unsure on the uv thing but if the shop offers i recommend the ceramic coating for the tint. its a bit more cost but cuts more heat then light. i put 35% on my wife's impreza and the desert sun no longer burns my legs while driving. ive not tinted her sunroof yet but id go with 50% with the ceramic tint.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring CVT7
177 Posts
UV coating is standard on most auto windows for last 20 years+ ... it's done to protect your interior

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,621 Posts
Yes. The only window you can't/shouldn't tint is the windshield as it messes with eyesight.

Best thing is to get all the windows done. Even though you may have the factory "privacy glass" - you can add another layer of tint to help with heat rejection. Just go a shade lighter than the front doors so you have all looking the same "shade"...

Basically (as mentioned above) almost all glass has some type of "tinting" for UV protection. But it's built in to the glass ... or it can be sandwiched between two layers of glass... but that never means you cannot tint the interior side of the glass.... Be aware of your local and state laws regarding tinting the front doors... in most states, it is illegal, but there are often exceptions based on locations. And in some cases, unless a cop is just being a jerk, or you are, they don't have a lot of incentive to pull you over for just that.

My 2014 Limited - all tinted -

PS - don't forget to do the moonroof (if equipped) with something to reject the heat. But keep it light enough to enjoy your view.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beautiful! Thank you! I have one tint shop that won't do the moonroof because they said it can cause double heating and it will shatter with quick temperature changes.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,621 Posts
I live near Palm Springs. I had my roof tinted (I think it's a 50% tint like I did the rear doors/windows/cargo area) and have not had any issues with head and quick temp changes. One way to avoid this would be to leave the inner liner open an inch or so which allows for easier convection of air between the moonroof and the interior.

Mine has been tinted for ... 4 years now? ... and (knocking wood) no issues at all - and again - Palm Springs - desert. Temp today is currently 104 with a high of about 110 degrees... and we've had many days over 110 and 120 degrees this summer.

The tint should be reflective and not absorb the heat...

From other threads on here - all Subaru glass is "tinted" and has UV protections of 90-something percent... I think it may be @Kean that has contacted Subaru of America and has the UV protection numbers someplace.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yeah, that was me.

The roof glass is laminated like the windscreen and blocks 99% of UVA/B. The other windows are tempered and have varying degrees of protection:

Front door glass = 90%
Rear door glass = 95%
Rear quarter glass = 95%
Rear glass = 95%

I have no idea what that tint shop was talking about as far as the UV symbol on the glass having anything to do with it. .....maybe there is something to it but they should be able to explain why. It almost sounds like they believe the factory glass already has a film applied to it? As mentioned earlier, most glass these days has some level of UV protection introduced in their design / manufacturing and laminate always seems to be 99%+ from what I have observed (maybe something to do with the glass sandwich of plastic/vinyl).

Anyhow, yeah, I would check out another shop. Now, if they said they couldn't because of legal reasons, I can see that as it is illegal (as @FozzieBalou said) to tint the two front windows or windscreen here in California per the CA vehicle code. ......all the other glass you can spray paint black if you want as long as you have two side mirrors. Having said that, unless you're being a tool, I wouldn't expect too many problems. In my case, I just don't go super dark on my cars opting for maybe 50% on the fronts and maybe up to 35% at most on the rest. You don't need to go really dark anyway for it to be effective.

As for the roof glass, it's a topic of contention. I haven't heard strong evidence either way but then again, I'm not scouring the internet trying to find real answers on the topic. .....btw, another strike against that installer is the mention of your roof glass "shattering" because (again) it's laminated and not tempered (i.e. tempered shatters into small pieces and laminated will crack like you windscreen).

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
707 Posts
I don't know why the shop wouldn't do the tinting for you.

I don't know about ALL of the United States, but I know that in Canada it is illegal to have tinted front windows. (beyond the very light tint you get from the factory)

I am pretty (and totally understand) that this is because the driver (and what the driver does)is pretty much impossible to see when they are being pulled over by police.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Here in the U.S. the tint laws are usually dictated by the individual state's vehicle code. ......and could even be impacted by county / city I suppose. Some places specify certain percentages of tint but folks can shade their front windows too. Here in CA (where the OP is from), the VC basically describes the front windows (incld. the windscreen) as essentially being off limits to tinting but (again) you can make all the other windows as dark as you want. I think the exception might be clear films that just block UV, doctors excuses and perhaps a couple other scenarios.

However, lots of folks do it around here and never have problems. In fact, in recent years I've seen more and more people running around with tinted windscreens let alone all of their other windows. I have no idea how they are getting away with it but as long as you're conservative with the tint on the front sides, I doubt most law enforcement would have a problem with just that. ....but again, some places are worse than others in regard to enforcement. I think in @FozzieBalou 's neck of the woods they tend to give those folks more of a pass due to the Summer temps they endure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the 2020 Forester and had tint applied from new. I'm in Australia but the window inscription is identical to yours, as shown.
The rear windows had privacy tint in the glass ex factory, so were already darker than the front.
The tinters put a ceramic coating on all rear glass and a darker tint on the fronts. To get a more even match all around.
There was no mention of any restriction due to the UV inscription.
To see an untinted Forester over here would be extremely rare.
Maybe go elsewhere.
What does the Dealer say? They should know.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I looked all over and I can find decoders for just about all the other markings except info on what exactly the "UV" is supposed to indicate.

I do know Subaru isn't the only one out there with this on their glass. I just have a feeling it doesn't mean what that tint shop thinks it means.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
222 Posts
Wow, I think your tint shop must have got busted for tinting front windows limo black. That's the only excuse I would say if I got busted for tinting front windows.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is determined by each State jurisdiction. In New York, for instance, it is illegal to have tint to BLACK OUT appearance. I'm not sure of the % but the State DMV will give you the law and rules. In NY State, you will be earn an endorsement on your Drivers License and a $$ fine.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The law isn't the issue here though. Most shops here in CA may warn you about it but they'll still do the work.

The problem is that they wouldn't in the OPs case because the glass had a "UV" label on it and for some reason, that shop thinks there will be a issue if they do.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring Jasper Green
92 Posts
I'm in PA and front windows aren't supposed to be tinted but you can get away with it if you don't go crazy. I went with 30% tint on the front sides so it virtually matches the rears and am very happy with the results. It's much better to limit the heat from those massive side windows and it's not so dark that the man will want to mess with me, lol.

Have 35 all around on my LGT sedan and I actually prefer the slightly darker 30% on the foz even though they are very close. Slightly cooler maybe and it looks a little better shade wise and less greenish from the factory UV tint on the glass.

Don't understand people that run dark tinted windscreens. It's like a neon please arrest me light! Keep the tint 30% or less and nothing visible on the windscreen and you usually wont have problems. Except in DE where they make you remove front window tint with state inspection every 2 years unless you have a health waiver.

To the OP, yeah, go somewhere else. That's odd.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,819 Posts
Especially if front tint is not legal where you live, I would politely request you consider pedestrians and cyclists around you. When I go for a bike ride or walk in my neighborhood, I cross at least 50 intersections when walking, and hundreds when on my bike.

When a car is stopped at a stop sign and I have the right of way, I always try to confirm that the driver is making eye contact with me instead of looking the other way or down at his/her cell phone before they punch the throttle. When someone has front window tint, I basically prepare to stop every time because I assume that the driver does not see me. I am grateful to those people who are aware of me and always give them a smile and a wave.

Thanks for any consideration.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,210 Posts
^^This^^

Not just from the perspective of a pedestrian or cyclist rider but also from the perspective of another motorist!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Don't understand people that run dark tinted windscreens. It's like a neon please arrest me light! Keep the tint 30% or less and nothing visible on the windscreen and you usually wont have problems. Except in DE where they make you remove front window tint with state inspection every 2 years unless you have a health waiver.
Yeah, I don't get those that tint their front windshields either but I do understand those that want better protection on their front sides. It gets freaking hot on long drives and just having 50% makes a big difference. .....plus there's the 99.9 - 100% UVA/B blocking that nearly all films provide.

....but I agree, the OP needs to find another shop. I'm trying to convince my wife to tint the fronts on her new 2020 with 50% like she had on her '08. I will say that her 2020 seems to do a better job at filtering though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts