Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport CVT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We were torn about roof racks and what to do and ended up getting a Haulmaster basket from Harbor Freight. With coupons and a sale we picked it up for less than $75. From what we read the biggest negative was possible rusting. We ended up spraying about 4 coats of spray can truck bed liner. We remove the basket when we don't need to use it. Of course, that huge Haulmaster sticker had to go. LOL. We added a couple of Quick Fist mounts for our shovel using stainless conduit hangers (work great) and have now added a couple of Plano Sportsman Trunks (56 Qt.) that we sealed using auto/marine weather stripping from Home depot that fit in the channel of the lid. 2 ft. bungees hold them in place just right but we had to play around with how to hook them so we could access the latches while mounted. We did add one strap across the top of both totes for added insurance. We used a "waterproof" bag in the front of the basket for odd shaped stuff, but have since purchased the medium size Plano trunk (68 qt.) to fit in the front section. (pics to follow) We've driven through some hard rain and everything stayed dry. The totes make it easy to access and organize equipment while leaving the totes mounted to the basket. We have a "helper" step that hooks into the door catch to help step up to the top. The totes are great for wet and dirty stuff and things we don't use daily when on a trip. We also purchased a 15 cubic ft. cargo bag that fits the basket great. We've used that for when we have excess luggage and traveling with 3 or more in the Forester and not camping. The bag worked great and did not leak in a driving rain. We prefer the totes for camping as they can be better organized and are easier to access. thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
Musical instrument accessory Flooring Wood Chair Audio equipment
Charcoal Ash Food Outdoor grill rack & topper Kitchen appliance

Motor vehicle Wood Hood Mode of transport Building
Car Tire Vehicle Automotive carrying rack Window
Pink Material property Bumper Gas Trunk
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory Wood
Plant Dog Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Plant Motor vehicle Wood Gas Tire
Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport CVT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We were torn about roof racks and what to do and ended up getting a Haulmaster basket from Harbor Freight. With coupons and a sale we picked it up for less than $75. From what we read the biggest negative was possible rusting. We ended up spraying about 4 coats of spray can truck bed liner. We don't leave it on all the time, and only mount the basket when I need to use it. OF course, that huge Haulmaster sticker had to go. LOL. We added a couple of Quick Fist mounts for my shovel using stainless conduit hangers (work great) and have now added a couple of Plano Sportsman Trunks (56 Qt.) that we sealed using auto/marine weather stripping from Home depot that fit in the channel of the lid. 2 ft. bungees hold them in place just right but we had to play around with how to hook them so we could access the latches while mounted. We did add one strap across the top of both totes for added insurance. We used a "waterproof" bag in the front of the basket for odd shaped stuff, but have since purchased the medium size Plano trunk (68 qt.) to fit in the front section. (pics to follow) We've driven through some hard rain and everything stayed dry. The totes make it easy to access and organize equipment while leaving the totes mounted to the basket. We have a "helper" step that hooks into the door catch to help step up to the top. The totes are great for wet and dirty stuff and things we don't use daily when on a trip. We also purchased a 15 cubic ft. cargo bag that fits the basket great. We've used that for when we have excess luggage and traveling with 3 or more in the Forester and not camping. The bag worked great and did not leak in a driving rain. We prefer the totes for camping as they can be better organized and are easier to access. thoughts and suggestions are welcome. View attachment 558145 View attachment 558146
View attachment 558148 View attachment 558149 View attachment 558150 View attachment 558151 View attachment 558152
View attachment 558153 View attachment 558154
Plant Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Plant Hood Automotive lighting
Motor vehicle Plant Vehicle Hood Car
Wheel Sky Tire Plant Vehicle
Automotive tail & brake light Car Plant Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
334 Posts
@CatmanglerX -- "We added a couple of Quick Fist mounts for our shovel using stainless conduit hangers (work great) and have now added a couple of Plano Sportsman Trunks (56 Qt.) that we sealed using auto/marine weather stripping from Home depot . . ."

I have the same roof rack. Very pracrical.
Like Kevin said, some here put an expensive rack on just for looks.
I'm more into usability. So, thanks for the money-saving ideas!

Reactions: CatmanglerX

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,414 Posts
We added a couple of Quick Fist mounts for our shovel using stainless conduit hangers (work great)
Do you have some details of the parts and close up of the install of these? I've been trying to find something similar for some gear...

I have a set of Plano cases (2 sets, 2 per set) and use that for some gear storage and have used them traveling but they can be a bit big n heavy to slap up on the roof into the cargo basket.

BTW - my cargo basket is from "Reese" (the Explorer) and is probably the same as the Harbor Freight unit. I like the idea of spraying it with the truck bed liner stuff. I've not had any issues with it - but then I live in sunny SoCal and so limited chances of rusting.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport CVT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have some details of the parts and close up of the install of these? I've been trying to find something similar for some gear...

I have a set of Plano cases (2 sets, 2 per set) and use that for some gear storage and have used them traveling but they can be a bit big n heavy to slap up on the roof into the cargo basket.

BTW - my cargo basket is from "Reese" (the Explorer) and is probably the same as the Harbor Freight unit. I like the idea of spraying it with the truck bed liner stuff. I've not had any issues with it - but then I live in sunny SoCal and so limited chances of rusting.
We used 1 inch outdoor conduit hangers and some stainless steel #10 screws, nuts and washers with a piece of rubber pipe on the inside of the conduit hanger to give it more grip against the rail of the roof basket. Quick Fist clamps can be found at several outdoor supply places or Amazon. We hope this helps and is what you were looking for. let us know if you have other questions or need more info.
Enjoy SoCal!
Cat
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Tread
Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Finger Tool
Plant Tree Motor vehicle Outdoor bench Grass
Motor vehicle Wood Hood Mode of transport Building

·
Registered
2020 Touring as of 8/28/2020!
598 Posts
Looking at your pictures it appears that you have exposed screws on the rack itself. Wrap those (and any joints) in self-sealing silicone tape. Trust me on this.

·
Registered
306 Posts
With Harbor Freight, as long as what you want does not have a motor, or an engine it is usually a good purchase.
I do like what you did to rustproof the rack. I suspect that the bed spray will last much longer than just painting.

·
Registered
2020 Touring as of 8/28/2020!
598 Posts
Great idea!
FTR I also sprayed expanding foam in the tubes before assembling to keep them from collecting water. Some people have filled them with various oils. I just took the extension out of my basket and the inside was bone dry with absolutely no rust. Of course I hade to sledge the damn thing apart. :oops:

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport CVT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking at your pictures it appears that you have exposed screws on the rack itself. Wrap those (and any joints) in self-sealing silicone tape. Trust me on this.
Took your advice and got some self-fusing silicone tape. How did I not know about this stuff! Great idea and I already have so many potential uses for this stuff. Thanks for the advice!
Light Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Wood

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
445 Posts
Nothing says Subaru like bumper stickers and dogs... And this thread has both!

Nice work on the shovel mount and box seals. Those boxes seem pretty popular to use, have noticed them on quite a few cars and truck with roof or bed racks.

The HF racks do seem to work out good for the price. Good call on the spraying it with the bed liner. Rust seems to be the only big complaint on these in the review section. I didn't repaint mine, but it does get several coats of spray wax from time to time, make sure it's dry after washing the car, and it is garaged, and no signs of rust yet after 2 years. However, if it saw the use that others give theirs, it could be a different story in the rust department.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts