Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come the garage door opener does not work when the engine is shut off? You drive up to your garage, press the button, go into the garage, shut off your engine, then press the button and ---------- nothing. The opener does not function when the car is off. STUPID!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know, you can do it that way, but why should we have the hassle. In the last 20 years, I have had about 7 or so cars, and every one of them had a garage door opener that functioned when the car was off. My daughter just bought an Ascent, and it functions that way. My guess is that Homelink is added by the dealer, and different dealers install it differently.

·
Premium Member
2014 Touring with Eyesigh CVT
602 Posts
Things change, manufacturers make decisions for many reasons and we all need to adapt. Like everything else you will learn to accept the nuances of your Subaru and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
427 Posts
On one hand, some customersmight like configurable options on just about every feature in a modern vehicle. It’s certainly possible, since there’s so much automation in new cars.

On the other hand, folks are already complaining about the level of complexity in new vehicles.

I’ve owned dozens on new vehicles over the years, and there wasn’t a single one of them that there wasn’t at least one thing I’d have changed if I was designing it, so I‘m with @Yoda_One... just use your vehicle up the way it is and enjoy it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
... Imagine criminals breaking into cars in the driveway and gaining access to your home.
Anyone who can break into a car would probably save a step and just break into the house.
Most cars don't have homelink anyway, so for 50 years people could 'imagine' breaking into a car and using the garage remote that's clipped to the sun visor. The thing is, most people with a garage remote park their car in the garage - imagine that.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
427 Posts
From what I’ve seen in the area that I reside, most upscale neighborhoods are full of vehicles with Homelink on the inside mirror, and many residents have more vehicles than garage space for all of them, so they get parked outside, either on the driveway or along the street. It’s very common to read police reports of items being stolen at night from unlocked vehicles (phones, wallets, handguns, etc.). A sheriff’s deputy I’m friends with that patrols the area where I live tells me that in these types of break-ins, less than 5% of them are forced entry. In other words, 95% of the vehicles outside that get robbed are left unlocked. Beats the heck out of me why folks can’t remember or refuse to lock their cars at night.

So, that being the case, why extend any effort breaking into a locked house when you can simply walk in through an unlocked door in the garage?

That’s why I suspect the power for the garage door entry buttons for Homelink are switched, and not constantly “hot”. A thief can still clean out the car, but getting into the house will take more effort...

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
60 Posts
I'm with the OP. My Forester bugs me in this aspect. My ideal implementation would be for the vehicle to have retained accessory power until a door is opened after turning off the vehicle. So one can close a window, close the garage door, close the sunroof - etc - after turning off the vehicle. This has been around for years on other manufacturers vehicles. Please tell me the Legacy/Outback, with their giant screens controlling most settings, at least won't drain a battery if a dome light is left on??

Does the Ascent get homelink from the factory, vs. a port-installed option? Not that this should limit the ability to design both to operate the same. Maybe the mirror 12V power circuit is crowded with other stuff that shouldn't retain power - but still, up-front planning....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm old enough to remember pulling into the driveway, getting out to unlock the padlock on the garage door, opening the garage door by hand, getting back into the car to drive into the garage, getting out of the car to go back outside and close and lock the garage (again by hand), then walking to the back door to enter the house. (Yes, it was a detached garage behind the house, the way they used to build them in the '50s). Now you're complaining about having to push a button before you turn off the engine, must be a millennial.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not a millennial. I am 87 years old and have seen enough accidents to know that when you can design safety into a system, you do it. And when no cost is involved, its a no-brainer. Let me give you some examples. A young womem comes home late at night. Its dark. She pulls into her driveway, hits the homelink button, and pulls into her garage. Then she shuts off the car, but instead of closing the garage door with the push of a button, she must get out, go to the front of the garage where the wall button is located, and then push that button. As a father /grandfather of 5 women/girls, that bothers me. Another example. You come home, pull into your garage, and because you are so smart, you hit the homelink button while the car is still running. Before you can hit the ignition switch, your wife screams out that little Johnny has fallen down and busted his teeth. You rush into the house. Hey, you forgot to turn the engine off! I could write pages on fault-tree analyses and how it takes two to three incidents to create a disaster/accident but I don't have the time. That how things like the Boeing 737MAX happens. I hope you enjoyed your laugh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do you click the fob to accessory? I tried clicking the 6 star symbol on the fob and then the homelink button. but that didn't do anything.

·
Registered
343 Posts
How do you click the fob to accessory? I tried clicking the 6 star symbol on the fob and then the homelink button. but that didn't do anything.
You don't use the fob. Use the ignition switch just like every car built in the last 50 years. With push button start you press it twice while not touching the brake peddle.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
97 Posts
Or just click the key to accessory for a second, and press the button on the mirror.
Or just get in the habit of pressing the Homelink button before the Stop button instead of the other way around.

I'm 68 years old and I gotta admit, it took a while for me to get used to this completely backwards and unnatural way of closing my garage door. Reversing the order of the two pushbuttons just totally upended my life and I had anger issues. Fortunately, my local Senior Center had technology anger management counseling services for Seniors and they helped me through this trying time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts