Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have seen a couple of videos on YouTube where they claim that one of the changes on 2020 sports model has an adaptive front grill which allows the front grill slits to close and open depending on the driving characteristics ( Aggressive / Eco ). I'm guessing by pressing the S# will trigger the grill slits to open to allow the car to breath more and mode closes the grills for better aerodynamics. I found this rumor to be pretty shocking for a budget focused brand car but since Subaru's do build WRX and BRZ, I thought it could be possible. BMW's have this feature on their front grills but they are a premium luxury car so this kind of feature is expected.

Once I picked up my 2020 Forester Sport this past weekend I could not find any information on this rumor in the car manual. Anyone know if this is true and how it works or if it is a hoax?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Our 2019 Forester Touring has the adaptive grill slats. I think they all have it 2019+. They are not actually in the grill but rather down near the bottom air intake of the front bumper. It's my understanding they close at highway speeds when not needed for cooling allowing better millage. Don't think the driving mode matters.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our 2019 Forester Touring has the adaptive grill slats. I think they all have it 2019+. They are not actually in the grill but rather down near the bottom air intake of the front bumper. It's my understanding they close at highway speeds when not needed for cooling allowing better millage. Don't think the driving mode matters.
Thanks for the response. Do you know of any literature or additional information on this? I googled this a few times and even searched here but didn’t find any results. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2015 Outback LTD had these moveable lower grill slats also, when engine was stone cold, the slats defaulted to closed mode to speed engine warm up to efficient internal temps, slats opened once engine was warm........traded that car in for the 2019 Forrie Touring.......

Steve

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
219 Posts
Perfect. Thank you. For some reason I couldn't find anything on this anywhere. Appreciate your help on this.
On the Suabru tech site. Not free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts