Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the 2020 Forester windows are laminated vs tempered, etc. and if a rescue tool would work to break them? I wrote to SOA but never got the info. Appreciate any help!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
The windscreen is laminated obviously but the rest are tempered with the exception of the moonroof glass. .....which is laminated.

btw, the manufacturing marks on the glass will sometimes say if its laminated or tempered which is the case on the Forester IIRC. I'll have to look again.

EDIT: We'll I looked and the moonroof glass says laminated (as that's what it is) but the side windows don't say they are tempered from what I can tell. .....but they are.

By the way, it sometimes takes a week or so for SOA to get back to you via email. ......and if you're curious, here are the UV light transmittance percentages for our 2020 Foresters per SOA when I sent them a request. Just a side note, the windscreen and moonroof are 0% which you would typically expect from laminated glass:

UV calculations represent the combined values of UVA and UVB. The penetration levels are what penetrate through the glass. The UV penetration levels are:

Front windshield – 0%
Front partition glass – 10%
Front door glass – 10%
Moonroof – 0%
Rear door glass – 5%
Rear quarter glass – 5%
Rear glass – 5%

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring AWD
49 Posts
The windscreen is laminated obviously but the rest are tempered with the exception of the moonroof glass. .....which is laminated.

btw, the manufacturing marks on the glass will sometimes say if its laminated or tempered which is the case on the Forester IIRC. I'll have to look again.

EDIT: We'll I looked and the moonroof glass says laminated (as that's what it is) but the side windows don't say they are tempered from what I can tell. .....but they are.

By the way, it sometimes takes a week or so for SOA to get back to you via email. ......and if you're curious, here are the UV light transmittance percentages for our 2020 Foresters per SOA when I sent them a request. Just a side note, the windscreen and moonroof are 0% which you would typically expect from laminated glass:

UV calculations represent the combined values of UVA and UVB. The penetration levels are what penetrate through the glass. The UV penetration levels are:

Front windshield – 0%
Front partition glass – 10%
Front door glass – 10%
Moonroof – 0%
Rear door glass – 5%
Rear quarter glass – 5%
Rear glass – 5%
Wow, thanks-- that's so helpful! SOA first replied they couldn't answer the question. Then I clarified further and they were able to tell me pretty much what you've confirmed-- that it's tempered except that the windshield and moonroof are laminated. I had read last year that some post-2017 vehicles had a newer type of glass that couldn't be broken with a standard rescue tool, which was why I was inquiring. Thanks again for the help! (I knew other Subie owners would know the answer!)

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
That's so interesting. Any chance you'd know about the 2019 Crosstrek also? I haven't been able to dig this up online. Thanks for the help!
Laminated is typically costly so as mentioned, it will likely only be offered on higher trims. .....although who knows what the future may hold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.