Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
20 Posts
What are your opinions on this current setup with the WildPeaks and the Ironman lift? I'm strongly considering this one!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
It rides extremely smooth...and I can corner almost as well as before. I'm just apprehensive because it rides high lol..and as far as tires, it was between these and the new Toyo open countries. I honestly couldn't justify the price increase of $250. I think this is the best setup, honestly. No regrets.

·
Registered
2008 forester auto
31 Posts
Great looking car
Any adjustments done to the eyesight system?

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
228 Posts
That is so awesome, I plan on the same suspension come spring. Do you need to get the Eyesight system calibrated? Does the exhaust tip hang lower now?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
@elephant man
#ironman4x4, #faulkenwildpeak #attrail235/60/18xl
I feel like it's fine. I think the alignment shop was just a slightly a little off..but when I get it retorqued down again...I'll inquire about the camber adjustment, which wasn't green but close to green specs. I might go to another shop once it settles in or goes back to the original shop and have them adjust it. Although Subaru would adjust the eyesight, I feel like it's unnecessary; it still snatches me back straight. The biggest difference is fuel. I average 22mpg down from the original 25.6 mpg all off the monitor, with no adjustments. Pretty soon, I will do an actual test. My friend has a rubicon before aftermarket lift, and he gets 16/17 mpg and tells me to stop crying..haha. Also, I'm throwing a frontrunner rack I purchased on top so that's going to kill a little bit more. Lastly, 235/60/18 Falken will peak at trail fit before the lift and I loved it, made the car stock ride about 0.4 inches higher and I could feel it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, I saw the ironman 4x4 video on the Subaru crosstrek and that car specifically comes/calls for exhaust hangers to lower exhaust. Originally I contacted them because it was not in my kit, labeled as a component and they messaged me back and told me that it's not necessary for foresters just outbacks and crosstreks.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,256 Posts
Looks great..!

And yes, those mods will eat MPGs. I've not lifted my 2014 but still think about it a lot, but the roof basket and the AT tires did eat some MPGs for sure. It's a trade off... but I'm happy! And you seem to be too!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,256 Posts
PS - now I just need them to make the same ATS kit for the SJ models... I've even offered to be a test mule for them..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks great..!

And yes, those mods will eat MPGs. I've not lifted my 2014 but still think about it a lot, but the roof basket and the AT tires did eat some MPGs for sure. It's a trade-off... but I'm happy! And you seem to be too!
True at this point I would keep it because I love it. Yes they need to offer this for the SJ..models..

·
Registered
2020 Forester, Crystal While Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather
127 Posts
Lastly, 235/60/18 Falken will peak at trail fit before the lift and I loved it, made the car stock ride about 0.4 inches higher and I could feel it.
@MarkMill Looks excellent!

How much did you have to pay for the IronMan kit to be installed?

It looks like there is room for another 1" or 1.5" larger wheels/tires. 235/65/18 might work (overall 30 inches).

For the MPG numbers you are getting, did you take into account the larger diameter wheels you are currently running? So it might actually be slightly better than the 22 MPG from the console (emphasis on slightly). But the main mileage killer is the rotational mass of the heavier tires -- 10 lbs heavier each than stock.

@FozzieBalou Do you know why a suspension lift by itself drags down MPGs?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@MarkMill Looks excellent!

How much did you have to pay for the IronMan kit to be installed?

It looks like there is room for another 1" or 1.5" larger wheels/tires. 235/65/18 might work (overall 30 inches).

For the MPG numbers you are getting, did you take into account the larger diameter wheels you are currently running? So it might actually be slightly better than the 22 MPG from the console (emphasis on slightly). But the main mileage killer is the rotational mass of the heavier tires -- 10 lbs heavier each than stock.

@FozzieBalou Do you know why a suspension lift by itself drags down MPGs?
I haven't done any accounting for the wheels except I did notice it drop to around 23.5 when I added the tires. So yes the tires came first before the lift for about a week and that's what I noticed. So the lift isn't really impacting as much. However yes before the lift tires were sitting really close to the top with, not that much space but after the lift, I feel like I could go larger but in person, it doesn't look bad at all. These pictures actually make the disparity between how much space I have left worst. I don't want to go too heavy...only other option would be to decrease weight with aftermarket rims..which I don't really want to do. I would probably go 235/65/17 possibly but for right now I like the combo. Like I said looks better in person. In-person I can only see without bending down one coil in the front and barely one coil in the rear from the suspension.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm stationed in Lemoore California but I live in Fresno. Every place I called in the surrounding area was $550-$650 for install. I paid $600. Technically it's about as much work as putting on a ready lift, only adding the rear subframe drop. I think the job called for 5-7hrs. If you have a garage and you're technically savvy save the cash and do it yourself. I work with a bunch of knuckleheads that work on stuff but didn't feel like having to supply them with beer every 5 min and wasting a whole weekend..so I coughed up the bread.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,256 Posts
Familiar with the Lemoore and Fresno area (had family and friends out there)...

Did the Ironman lift "move" the rear tires forward in the wheel opening? Or did they have the spacer kit to move the rear tires and keep them centered for the subframe shift with the lift?

Did you also get an alignment done after the install of the lift?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
997 Posts
Looks outstanding!
Time for a good skidplate(s) now if you haven't already, as your going to be more inclined to "go over stuff", LOL!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts