Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Camper"van" Complete Setup:

Alright, over the weekend I ended up doing an overnight fishing trip with a friend of mine and remembered to take a pic of the complete setup in the morning. See below for the details:

(Foz on blocks)

Okay so the first thing I'll do is put the necessary wheels up on these blocks. I don't always do this, particularly not if I'm extra lazy, but I usually will. When I am looking for a spot to post up for the night I look for two things: even ground and angled ground. I look for even ground cause trying to balance the left and right side of the car on uneven ground is a pain, only had to do that once so far in which I used these same 2x4s (which I keep in the car 24/7) to put one side higher than the other.

My bigger focus though, because it's harder to find, is angled ground. I look for angled ground because the rear seats on the Foz annoyingly don't fold down completely flat. To counteract this slight upwards angle that I'll be sleeping on I try to angle the front of the car downwards using a combination of angled ground and these 2x4s. Having the ability to see the angle of the car on the dash makes this task cake and I've found that the best angle is -4 degrees but I try to get at least -2 degrees. The blocks will increase/decrease the angle by 1-2 degrees. This isn't the end of the world but does provide a more comfortable sleep as you don't end up creeping down the bed throughout the night.

Lastly, if at all possible I try to position the car so that the best view is to the rear of the vehicle so in the morning I can hit to automatic open on the rear gate and be greeted with a beautiful view. Now enough about these stupid blocks.

(Yeti Tundra 35 Cooler & Translucent Gear Box filling floor gap)

I've walked through this in a previous post but I just wanted to show it. Here you can see I use a Yeti Tundra 35 Cooler to fill the passenger side floor gap. I meticulously measured the empty volume of the floor and researched cooler dimensions and found this to be the best fitting heavy duty cooler for my needs. I find that the cooler is sufficient for a 2 night trip with 2 people or 4-5 days by myself. The cooler makes a second outdoor seat for a guest if I have one when we setup camp and I do have a pair of bear locks for the cooler if left unattended during the day or left out overnight for whatever reason; I don't know when that would ever be the case but I have then just in case.

To fill the floor gap on the driver side I use my Gear Box. I've already gone over this in another post so I won't go over anymore details here. You can use my table of contents on the first post to find it if you have trouble.

(Floorgap Board)

Now I probably don't actually need this since the gear box and the cooler fill the gap so well but I ended up making this before I got those and didn't know how well they would work. This is still nice to provide better stability over the gear box since the lid is flimsy and also fill the gap in the middle. Sometimes I will slide the board all the way to the left to provide a surface to set a water bottle or phone on because it hangs out past where the mattress is. Not much to say here.

(2x4 propping up cooler)

When I say I meticulously measured everything I meant it. I knew the seat brackets would cause a problem so my solution was to just get a 2x4 which would create a surface that is the perfect height for the cooler to rest on one side while the other side of the cooler rests on seat brackets (top of seat brackets 4" higher than the floor). You can also store some smaller items under hear instead of moving them to the front seat when the bed is set up.

(bed raiser propping up gear box)

On the other side I couldn't find a container the same dimension as the cooler (I also didn't try super hard) so I found a container at Target that was as big as possible without being too big to fit. Originally I was using more 2x4s to create the right support for the gear box to be level with the folded seat but I switch to using 2 bed raisers (1 of the left and right sides of the container) that I had that fit perfectly as well.

The Gear box is 2" shorter than the cooler so I needed to lay a flat 2x4 on the seat bracket and 1 2x4 flat on the floor with another 2x4 on it's side to get the 6" of support I needed. The bed raisers are 6" tall so create the right height and the container is big enough where the front and back seats prevent it from tipping.

The Bed raisers are bulkier than the 2x4s when setup so it makes it harder to store stuff under here despite have 2" more of clearance but they stack inside of each other when stored which is nice because I also keep these in the vehicle 24/7.

Oh and those 2x4s I was using? They are what I use to the put car up on blocks now :)

(Camper"van" complete setup)

When it's all said and done it take about 60 seconds to turn the back of the Foz into a bed. This is the result. I'll give you the whole tour!

First and foremost we have the mattress which i've discussed before so you can review that in an earlier post along with the standard pillow that stay in the car almost 24/7.

Next I always take the Kammok Fire Belly Blankets. I have 2 of them because they are just that amazing. They are rated for 30 degrees F and keep me toasty. They can snap together to make an extra thick blanket or an extra wide blanket. The newer models, which I have 1 of, even has a zipper in the middle of the blanket to use as a poncho which is nice when hanging out in mountains in the evening. Similarly to how you can snap them together they also snap to loops on a hammok to use as an underquilt and/or topquilt in a hammock. I have slept in a hammock overnight when it dropped into the 30s with these blankets as an underquilt and top quilt. I am frequently the only person that's not cold throughout the night on camping trips with friends because of these blankets. They are kind my prize possession, I love them. I'm still not done going over their features! Aside from everything I've mentioned they also have cinch cords at the top and bottom ends so you can cinch them together to create a foot box and makeshift sleeping bag which is what I usually do. They come with elastic bands that wrap around a sleeping pad and you snap the blanket to the elastic bands and boom turns into a sleeping bag. On top of all this the down is treated to work when wet instead of clump and it's quick drying. They are very versatile, they are awesome, I can't shutup about them. I use them indoors outdoors all the doors.

I digress. The next obvious thing is the table. This just stores here nicely and is quick to grab and setup outside when desired. It does create a nice separation area on the other side of the table which is usually where I put shoes to help keep the dirt in that little space and not get everything else dirty/wet/whatever. I do want to cut a little piece of wood that would rest on the table inbetween the legs to create a mini end table when stored but haven't gotten to that yet.

On the other side you have some space here where I use as a little space to set things. Pictured you can see I have my water bottle here but often times it's my daypack or whatever miscellaneous items I have. Above this there I put in a 2 port USB charger adapter. It's not on when the car is turned off but it's nice to be able to turn the car on and get some juice easily. I have considered wiring it so that it's always on but need to do more investigation on the implications of that.

Next it's hard to see what I have a small microfiber hand towel which is actually strapped (the towel came with a snap strap) to the the loop that the seat locks into. Nice little spot to strap things to when you need. Anyways, this is for me specifically cause my nose likes to run in the cold and it often gets cold in the mountains at night, so yeah.

More interestingly you can see on the drivers side I have a little Sony bluetooth speaker hanging from the Oh poop handle. This is nice for the size of the car or even outside to listen to music or whatever without needing the car on.

Lastly, on the passenger side Oh poop handle I have an inflatable solar lantern. This provides a nice warm light in the car instead of using the bright LEDs on the ceiling of the car. This packs down to a pretty slim form factor (you can kinda see this in my gear box post) and offers a lot of light at night. It's nice that it's solar powered cause I can recharge it every day. It also has a USB port on it so you can use it as a backup battery if you must. I haven't used it as a backup battery yet just because I use it quite extensively as a light source and don't want to drain it quicker than necessary. I take up a dedicated backup battery when I need the juice.

(Camper"van" complete setup - Side view)

This is just another view from the passenger side back door which is the door I always use to enter and exit unless the rear gate is open. This is a wide angel lens so I could capture the whole thing but the photo looks a little distorted.

Anyways, that's it. I have loved the setup so far and have spent many nights back here either solo or with someone. It provides quick and easy shelter when it starts to get cold or gross outside and we can even sit back here and play cards or something. I love it!

21 - 21 of 21 Posts