Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

961 - 980 of 980 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
89 Posts
Invoice price is the "base" dealer cost for the vehicle but as noted, that's not what they pay. There are further discounts available to them including for volume, marketing and other hold-backs, etc. And yea, all those extra services/contracts/financing come into play, too. That's why you see such a big push at month- and quarter-end for sales. Their used vehicle business and service arm also nets big margins in many cases, too, to bolster dealer profits. Sometimes "losing" money on a few vehicle sales nets them higher profit because of a volume incentive kicking in. The car business doesn't make sense sometimes because of how unique it is in the need for consumers to negotiate prices and the way real cost behind the scenes work.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
67 Posts
In my opinion (so take it what it's worth), when you contact a "far away" dealer, tell the internet sales manager that this sale will be a "drive away." Drive-away meaning you will come pay for the vehicle and drive it away so that the selling dealer will NEVER see the car again. All you are looking for is the lowest price offer and are willing to put down a deposit on the car, sight unseen, refundable after an inspection and test drive at the selling dealership.

Sales and Service at a dealership are two separate profit centers. But every sales manager knows that service department "fit and finish" and even some warranty work is paid by the manufacturer to the dealer at a much lower pay rate, especially the fit and finish problems a dealer has to deal with . Sure, long term, after the warranty expires, any Service department loves your top dollar business and every service department has to do your warranty work, as per manufacturer requirements.

But a "drive away" sale means another quick and clean sale for the sales department with increases in manufacturer quarterly and yearly bonuses in addition to more "allocated" vehicles they can get to sell in the future.

As I said ... that's my experience to get the best deal when you plan driving away from the selling dealer and never coming back. Try it. Tell the internet sales manager the sale will be a "drive away." They, will all understand what you mean.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
17 Posts
Great job!!!

Which features did this come with?
Splash Guards, Bumper Cover, Cargo Net, Back Cargo protector, Auto Dimming mirror with homelink.

Since then I've installed Husky Floor mats, Auto dimming side mirrors, Lamin-x Fog light vinyls, and a dash cam

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
17 Posts
I had the Aukey Dr02 ready for it, but I ended up putting in the Rexing V1 4K with a 64gb card. It sits between the Eyesight cameras and the wire is tucked away nice and neatly from the roof ,to the left A pillar, down the door, around lower side of the air bag/glove compartment, and under towards the armrest. It took me 4,5 mins to install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the Aukey Dr02 ready for it, but I ended up putting in the Rexing V1 4K with a 64gb card. It sits between the Eyesight cameras and the wire is tucked away nice and neatly from the roof ,to the left A pillar, down the door, around lower side of the air bag/glove compartment, and under towards the armrest. It took me 4,5 mins to install.
Awesome! I am looking at that exact one but was hesitant based on a review left by someone with an Ascent. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would appreciate your inputs.

Long Island, NY

2020 Subaru Forester Sport, fully loaded
Option package 24 (8" display, blind spot detection, power rear gate)
Remote engine starter
MSRP $33,316

They're giving me $1951 off MSRP

Dealership wants $34,001 total. Includes fees, taxes (8.625%), registration. 0% APR 63 months.

I feel like that's pretty high compared to what I've been seeing on here. While I was at the dealership, we were talking invoice price ($31,424) out-the-door (or so I thought) which sounded great. Then he handed me a quote, and it was actually $31,424+tax+fees=$34,001. Any input is much appreciated!

Thank you all!
I am also shopping for the same trim/option in the NYC area and got the same quote as you. And this is the BEST I can find so far... I was also expecting better deal after reading this thread but think that’s the NY market. Invoice price $31200 and won’t go below. I really don’t know how people can get 1,5K below invoice in this market...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Use nadaguides.com, but invoice should be closer to $30,000 with those options and the MSRP should be closer to $32,000. Your goal should be around 15% off MSRP or approximately $27,200 before tax, title, dealer fees, etc. If they try to add higher dealer fees, like here in VA they try to add $799, then take more off the sales price. All you should care about is your out the door price and the things you can control and don't worry about things you cannot control such as tax. Also expand your search area to a few other states if you're willing to drive or maybe even train down south to MD or VA.
I think right now, 15% Off MSRP is not realistic, at least in NY, even going below invoice does not seem to be possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think right now, 15% Off MSRP is not realistic, at least in NY, even going below invoice does not seem to be possible.
I've email a few of the dealerships around the area and no luck as well. But if you check the dealerships in Mass or CT, you can find 13% of mrsp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you're willing to travel, you could contact the MD and VA dealers and then train from NYC to D.C. or Baltimore for less than $100 one way and drive home. Might be worth the time and effort to save $1,000+.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
564 Posts
I am also shopping for the same trim/option in the NYC area and got the same quote as you. And this is the BEST I can find so far... I was also expecting better deal after reading this thread but think that’s the NY market. Invoice price $31200 and won’t go below. I really don’t know how people can get 1,5K below invoice in this market...
That's cuz all NYC dealers are terrible. Even the ones on LI are tough to deal with but I did get my car at Riverhead.

You may have better luck farther into NJ or up into CT. They're a little more flexible on pricing. Anything less than 40 miles from Manhattan won't offer good pricing because they just rely on population density to keep their sales volume afloat.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
89 Posts
Don't forget to check with forum sponsor Liberty Subaru in NJ...Dan will make a very fair offer to you. Check the vendor section for contact information.

Reactions: ichavis

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's cuz all NYC dealers are terrible. Even the ones on LI are tough to deal with but I did get my car at Riverhead.

You may have better luck farther into NJ or up into CT. They're a little more flexible on pricing. Anything less than 40 miles from Manhattan won't offer good pricing because they just rely on population density to keep their sales volume afloat.
In the same area as you guys and this has been my experience as well. Although I found Competition to be the best bet because they didn't do any of the "prep fee" nonsense like the others around here tried to pull on me. One dealership that I won't name badmouthed their competitors for the ridiculous fees they try to sneak in at the end of a sale and then had the balls to attempt to sneak $650 in nonsense fees under my nose hoping that I wouldn't notice it. Riverhead was friendly but refused to match prices because they claimed they had so few cars they needed to make a bigger profit to let one go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the same area as you guys and this has been my experience as well. Although I found Competition to be the best bet because they didn't do any of the "prep fee" nonsense like the others around here tried to pull on me. One dealership that I won't name badmouthed their competitors for the ridiculous fees they try to sneak in at the end of a sale and then had the balls to attempt to sneak $650 in nonsense fees under my nose hoping that I wouldn't notice it. Riverhead was friendly but refused to match prices because they claimed they had so few cars they needed to make a bigger profit to let one go.
Got the same responds from riverhead. At this point I don't see any worth while offers to pull the trigger on. Prob going to wait a few months and see how the 2021 models look, how the economic situation changes or worsens as we approach fall and winter 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
13 Posts

I shopped all around NYS. NYS is higher compared to other states ended up buying my car in Maryland

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
564 Posts
NYS caps dealer fees at $75. That and the tire fee ($10?) and reg fee (shouldn't be over $100-200 for that depending on same reg or new reg), there shouldn't be any other fees in NY. Dealers love pulling this crap on unsuspecting folks to drive up revenue. NJ and CT don't have caps so they have lower vehicle prices but higher fees ($300-600) so you gotta do the math on your own to see what ends up being the better final deal.

Riverhead was fair with online negotiation and didn't game me on the fees in the end like other dealers would. There's one particular one in mid-Nassau that's horrendous with tack on fees that should be avoided at all costs...

961 - 980 of 980 Posts