Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

941 - 960 of 980 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
2020 Forester Premium Crystal White Pearl (Black Interior)
Option Package 15 plus Body Side Molding, Rear Bumper Cover, Splash Guards
MSRP $29,844
Sale price $27,747.50
OTD price $29,572.31
Maine Dealer's fee - $499 Sales Tax - 5.5%

·
Registered
15 Posts
You said your Out The Door price, including VA 4% sales tax, title and license transfer, for a Premium was $25,931.50 last Saturday? Could you please tell me what your MSRP was for the vehicle? Did you have any loyalty coupons or Subaru coupons? Veteran rebate? Could you tell me the name of the dealership and your salesman name? I'd love to pick up a Premium for my son ... especially at that price with a $799 Doc fee.
My OTD price is probably a little unique because I'm active duty military stationed in VA, but registering the car in FL thus I do not have to pay sales tax. The MSRP on our 2020 Premium was $29,926 with Option Package 14, mirror compass w/homelink, all weather floor liners, rear bumper cover and cargo tray. The price breaks down to a sales price of $25,377.28 + $799 dealer processing fee + $255.22 for tags / title - $500 for military discount + $0 sales tax (military registering in FL) for a total of $25,931.50. I cross shopped between 12 different dealers in the VA / MD / DC area and went through various car buying services (USAA, Costco & AMEX) for the best deals. The closest dealers to me did not believe my price, but I had it in writing so it was worth my drive and the dealer did not pull any tricks once I arrived. You can message me for the specific dealer and salesman if you're close enough to northern VA to make it worth the drive.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
67 Posts
My OTD price is probably a little unique because I'm active duty military stationed in VA, but registering the car in FL thus I do not have to pay sales tax. The MSRP on our 2020 Premium was $29,926 with Option Package 14, mirror compass w/homelink, all weather floor liners, rear bumper cover and cargo tray. The price breaks down to a sales price of $25,377.28 + $799 dealer processing fee + $255.22 for tags / title - $500 for military discount + $0 sales tax (military registering in FL) for a total of $25,931.50. I cross shopped between 12 different dealers in the VA / MD / DC area and went through various car buying services (USAA, Costco & AMEX) for the best deals. The closest dealers to me did not believe my price, but I had it in writing so it was worth my drive and the dealer did not pull any tricks once I arrived. You can message me for the specific dealer and salesman if you're close enough to northern VA to make it worth the drive.
Thanks. That "no tax in Florida" is a great benefit for active duty military and explains the great deal you got! Thanks for your service!

·
Registered
2020 White Forester Premium
3 Posts
My wife and I had our sights set on a White, Premium with option package 15 for a while. It seemed like the Foresters were flying off the shelves everywhere we looked in SoCal. When the exact one we wanted turned up at our local dealer, we jumped on it.
Gotta admit though.. Feeling like I got raked over the coals after seeing all the wheelin and dealin thats goin down in this thread.. but hell, we're happy.

2020 White Forester Premium $27,395
Option package 15....................$1,345
Auto dim mirror w/ compass........$245
All weather Floor Liners................$132

Sticker.......................................$30,127

"Discounted" Price...................$29,052
8 yrs/80,000 miles Gold Plus.....$1,021
Gap insurance..............................$495
CA tax........................................$2,258
DMV...............................................$424
3 yrs Starlink.....................................$0
2 yrs/24,000 miles Maintenance.......$0

Total..........................................$33,440

Dealer claimed he came down a full $1000 on the warranty and $500 on the Gap insurance. Who knows...
My thought on the warranty was who wouldn't pay the extra thousand bucks to have 5 MORE years (or 44,000 more miles) of bumper to bumper coverage.. especially at 0% interest.
Got em to throw in the rear seat back covers and rear cargo tray. They were probably feeling sorry for us, lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2020 Subaru Premium with option pkg 14 (blind spot, keyless entry, color multi-function display, dual rear Usb), popular package 1 (mirror with compass & homelink, all weather floor liners, auto dim mirrors, rear bumper cover, cargo tray), plus body side molding, LED dome upgrade, delivery/destination MSRP 30,485 Disc 4300 = $26,100 Doc fee 300, new plates 400, taxes 1130 TOTAL $27,926.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally signed the papers on a Gray Touring with Brown leather. Purchased it at Freehold Subaru and the whole process took about 10 emails and ~30mins at the dealership. Wife and I were very happy with the purchase and I love driving the Forester. Overall, I realized I could have saved couple of hundred bucks here and there, but we are happy with our purchase. They were the lowest price and they were really friendly and helpful throughout the whole process.
MSRP: $36500
Sale Price: $31,900
Doc Fee: $499
NJ Sales Tax and Title
7y/100k/$0: Started at $2300, Offered $2100, Agreed on $1800 (I made the mistake of not going lower)
0apr for 63m.
$500 build coupon
Great job!!!

Which features did this come with?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finally signed the papers on a Gray Touring with Brown leather. Purchased it at Freehold Subaru and the whole process took about 10 emails and ~30mins at the dealership. Wife and I were very happy with the purchase and I love driving the Forester. Overall, I realized I could have saved couple of hundred bucks here and there, but we are happy with our purchase. They were the lowest price and they were really friendly and helpful throughout the whole process.
MSRP: $36500
Sale Price: $31,900
Doc Fee: $499
NJ Sales Tax and Title
7y/100k/$0: Started at $2300, Offered $2100, Agreed on $1800 (I made the mistake of not going lower)
0apr for 63m.
$500 build coupon
I'm from this area and tried emailing them for a similar discount. They said, "...at this time we are unable to discount vehicles this heavily." Has anyone had better luck? Most of the dealerships in NJ seem to go as low as 9% off msrp, which is an okay deal, but given the current economic situation, not really that tempting to pull the trigger on.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
89 Posts
Contact Dan at forum sponsor Liberty Subaru in NJ. See the vendor section of this site for specifics and contact information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would appreciate your inputs.

Long Island, NY

2020 Subaru Forester Sport, fully loaded
Option package 24 (8" display, blind spot detection, power rear gate)
Remote engine starter
MSRP $33,316

They're giving me $1951 off MSRP

Dealership wants $34,001 total. Includes fees, taxes (8.625%), registration. 0% APR 63 months.

I feel like that's pretty high compared to what I've been seeing on here. While I was at the dealership, we were talking invoice price ($31,424) out-the-door (or so I thought) which sounded great. Then he handed me a quote, and it was actually $31,424+tax+fees=$34,001. Any input is much appreciated!

Thank you all!

·
Registered
15 Posts

Long Island, NY

Remote engine starter
MSRP $33,316

Dealership wants $34,001 total. Includes fees, taxes (8.625%), registration. 0% APR 63 months.

I feel like that's pretty high compared to what I've been seeing on here. While I was at the dealership, we were talking invoice price ($31,424) out-the-door (or so I thought) which sounded great. Then he handed me a quote, and it was actually $31,424+tax+fees=$34,001. Any input is much appreciated!

Thank you all!
Use nadaguides.com, but invoice should be closer to $30,000 with those options and the MSRP should be closer to $32,000. Your goal should be around 15% off MSRP or approximately $27,200 before tax, title, dealer fees, etc. If they try to add higher dealer fees, like here in VA they try to add $799, then take more off the sales price. All you should care about is your out the door price and the things you can control and don't worry about things you cannot control such as tax. Also expand your search area to a few other states if you're willing to drive or maybe even train down south to MD or VA.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Long Island, NY

Remote engine starter
MSRP $33,316

Thank you all!
The two best quotes I got were from Liberty Subaru in NJ and Bay Ridge Subaru in Brooklyn. The best I could do was about 9% of MSRP on my Touring. NJ sales prices were generally competitive, but the price advantage evaporates because of their dealer fees, which are much higher than those in NY, bringing NJ OTD pricing into parity with local dealers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I had our sights set on a White, Premium with option package 15 for a while. It seemed like the Foresters were flying off the shelves everywhere we looked in SoCal. When the exact one we wanted turned up at our local dealer, we jumped on it.
Gotta admit though.. Feeling like I got raked over the coals after seeing all the wheelin and dealin thats goin down in this thread.. but hell, we're happy.

2020 White Forester Premium $27,395
Option package 15....................$1,345
Auto dim mirror w/ compass........$245
All weather Floor Liners................$132

Sticker.......................................$30,127

"Discounted" Price...................$29,052
8 yrs/80,000 miles Gold Plus.....$1,021
Gap insurance..............................$495
CA tax........................................$2,258
DMV...............................................$424
3 yrs Starlink.....................................$0
2 yrs/24,000 miles Maintenance.......$0

Total..........................................$33,440

Dealer claimed he came down a full $1000 on the warranty and $500 on the Gap insurance. Who knows...
My thought on the warranty was who wouldn't pay the extra thousand bucks to have 5 MORE years (or 44,000 more miles) of bumper to bumper coverage.. especially at 0% interest.
Got em to throw in the rear seat back covers and rear cargo tray. They were probably feeling sorry for us, lol.
I'm also from SoCal and just got the same car (waited for 1 month since there were no white ones anywhere), and your price was a bit on the high side. Mine was $28180 plus taxes and fees with auto dimming mirror with compass & homelink, all weather floor liners, rear bumper cover, cargo tray, cargo net, aero cross bar, splash guard, sunshade.
However, my dealership gave me the price of a couple of thousands more on the extended insurance, Starlink and maintenance than yours, and was unwilling to negotiate (I didn't get those in the end). Considering all those, your deal is not too bad. :) I asked around for at least 10 dealerships, and they either didn't have the car, or were unwilling to drop the price, or were only willing to drop a bit (~$1000).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also got 0% for 63 months. It was less than 7 days after they'd changed it from 0.9% and the state started the lockdown. I also got the Chase and Loyalty coupons, but they had nothing to do with the dealer. Foresters have been selling great and reduced inventory is probably affecting prices. I just checked my dealer's website and they don't even have a Sport. Most dealers had 5-10 when I was looking.
I wasn’t aware of the Chase and loyalty discount. Can I get Subaru to honor and send a check? What is the Chase discount?

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
564 Posts

Long Island, NY

Remote engine starter
MSRP $33,316

Thank you all!
If they're just giving you invoice pricing, look elsewhere. In the past, I've been able to get $1500 off of invoice pricing but had to travel to Riverhead or Stamford to do so. Most LI dealers are pretty scummy. You need to be willing to get at least 50 miles outside of city limits in order to find a decent deal. Liberty offered decent pricing with a bit of haggling but it wasn't the best and NJ dealer fees indeed eat some of it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks! I will give it a go!
If you’re still looking, I have a quote from Gary Lang in McHenry for 2020 Premium with the option package that includes the power hatch, blindside, etc (I think it’s pkg 15) and popular pkg 1 (floor mats etc)
MSRP = 30,804
DISC = 4,313
Price = 26,491
Prep = 300
New plates/fees = 396
I wouldn’t buy from them again but I think I got a good price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If they're just giving you invoice pricing, look elsewhere. In the past, I've been able to get $1500 off of invoice pricing but had to travel to Riverhead or Stamford to do so. Most LI dealers are pretty scummy. You need to be willing to get at least 50 miles outside of city limits in order to find a decent deal. Liberty offered decent pricing with a bit of haggling but it wasn't the best and NJ dealer fees indeed eat some of it up.
How do you guys justify below invoice pricing? Isn't the dealership losing money at that point?

·
Registered
15 Posts
How do you guys justify below invoice pricing? Isn't the dealership losing money at that point?
The dealers pay less than invoice. The dealers want you to think that they paid invoice, but they paid less, sometimes far less. The dealers get money from holdbacks and incentives from the manufacturers. Also, a well run dealership make most of their money on the service side of the house and extras such as dealer fees, extended warranties, maintenance plans, accessories, financing deals, etc. so that they do not have to make much from the sale of the vehicle and that is also why if you are local and planning to get your car serviced at the dealership you purchase from, the dealership will / should cut you a deal on the price. Here's a little more background the shady world of MSRP, invoice, holdbacks, incentives, etc.:

941 - 960 of 980 Posts