Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I know this topic probably gets beat to death, but I had some questions on adding fog lights as well as wiring roof light bars.
Just bought a 2020 Forester premium without any fog lights. Scouting the forums, alot of people recommend the DD SS3 plug and play kit. However, I did not see this kit for the 19/20/21 foresters. Seemed to end with the 18(4th gen). Anyone know if this will fit the 5th gen? If not, what modifications or parts are people adding to fit the Ss3’s? And for turning them on, do you just get a factory Subaru fog light button that plugs in down by the auto start/stop button?

I’m also interested in DDs light bar, and mounting it to a yakima load warrior. How do people like to run these wires up top, and where do you like to setup a switch for them? Is there a semi easy way to add another switch to the empty control panel spots, similar to the fog lights?

Apologies if this is a to oft repeated topic, maybe a good recommended thread if so?
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,
I know this topic probably gets beat to death, but I had some questions on adding fog lights as well as wiring roof light bars.
Just bought a 2020 Forester premium without any fog lights. Scouting the forums, alot of people recommend the DD SS3 plug and play kit. However, I did not see this kit for the 19/20/21 foresters. Seemed to end with the 18(4th gen). Anyone know if this will fit the 5th gen? If not, what modifications or parts are people adding to fit the Ss3’s? And for turning them on, do you just get a factory Subaru fog light button that plugs in down by the auto start/stop button?

I’m also interested in DDs light bar, and mounting it to a yakima load warrior. How do people like to run these wires up top, and where do you like to setup a switch for them? Is there a semi easy way to add another switch to the empty control panel spots, similar to the fog lights?

Apologies if this is a to oft repeated topic, maybe a good recommended thread if so?
Thanks
If you choose section "Kits by Type" you'll see that Type A fits 2014 - 2020 Forester. I got a 2019 and just ordered the Sport version anyway. If the bracket doesn't fit, I believe my local shop can customize it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same vehicle/question that Hickey80 above has.. Noodle, please advise if yours fits or what had to be done to it..

Tnx,

Mike W

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same vehicle/question that Hickey80 above has.. Noodle, please advise if yours fits or what had to be done to it..

Tnx,

Mike W

If you look at the comment at Diode page, you will see one comment saying that it fits the 2020 Forester. I don't live in the State so the kits won't be here in another 2 weeks. I hope it will fit though

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you look at the comment at Diode page, you will see one comment saying that it fits the 2020 Forester. I don't live in the State so the kits won't be here in another 2 weeks. I hope it will fit though

It’s odd they say it fits. When I messaged them on ig they said they didn’t think it fit, but if it did, they wanted me to message them and let them know so they could update the product description

·
Registered
6 Posts
It’s odd they say it fits. When I messaged them on ig they said they didn’t think it fit, but if it did, they wanted me to message them and let them know so they could update the product description
The page description also says it fits 2019 & 2020. I decided to place the order when i see this and the comment.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The page description also says it fits 2019 & 2020. I decided to place the order when i see this and the comment.
Are you looking at Amazon? The amazon page says 2019 and 2020. Their actual website, on the Forester plug and play kit says only up to 2018.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh weird, their other listing on their site does show 2019 and 2020.

Seems like they just have a website error and the representative who responded to me made a mistake.

·
Registered
2014 2.0 XT Touring
162 Posts
wiring is completely personal preference. for the roof lights, i have seen guys simply run the loose wires between the door jam and the roof body line, while others (my preference and what i have done in the past) is tuck the wires next to (or underneath) the longitudal (is that a word?) roof rack rails all the way to the rear tailgate. at the rear tailgate you can splice into the factory rubber wire protector tube thing and then run the wire down into where your C and D pillars are in the rear of your car. but then you have a long way to go tucking it in the headliner or along the floorboards all the way to the front of the car. you can buy the OEM subaru fog light switch and pop it right into place on your dash in one of the empty holes. keep in mind you need to add at least 1 heavy duty fuse between the battery and the light itself and wire that up to the roof. my $0.02 is that unless you have a jeep or something old that you don't mind drilling a hole into... roof mounted lights on newer vehicles can be a pain to do "correctly" and not have it look like you just ran extension cords to the engine bay.

buy a nice light bar for the front bumper and mount some KC daylighters on there and your wiring problems will be way easier lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh weird, their other listing on their site does show 2019 and 2020.

Seems like they just have a website error and the representative who responded to me made a mistake.
Got them installed. The bracket fits but the round fog light cover is a bit small thus it block a bit at the edge of the SS3. See below for a before/after pic

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,384 Posts
That's exactly what I did (@UrbanLaxBro ) - I ran the wiring along the roof rail and then down through the gate opening into the rubber wire surround and then ran down inside the rear quarter panel and tapped into the 12v power outlet...

Then just wrap the rubber with electrical tape to seal out dirt and moisture. You could also cover the slice with rubber or epoxy to seal up and then cover/wrap with tape.

For my front lights, I just tucked through the middle grill area (2014 / SJ) - just below the main grill - and then zip tied up the support and then along the top of the radiator support and then attached to the battery (that way they're able to be "always on") and tucked the wire under the fiber-board engine bay trim.

·
Registered
2014 2.0 XT Touring
162 Posts
That's exactly what I did (@UrbanLaxBro ) - I ran the wiring along the roof rail and then down through the gate opening into the rubber wire surround and then ran down inside the rear quarter panel and tapped into the 12v power outlet...

Then just wrap the rubber with electrical tape to seal out dirt and moisture. You could also cover the slice with rubber or epoxy to seal up and then cover/wrap with tape.
that's probably the "cleanest" way to do it. much easier on a rusty jeep where i would just drill a hole in the windshield frame or firewall or body - but could not bear to do that on one of our nice foresters (plus my wife would probably castrate me). personally i am always a sucker for an extra fuse (vs. tapping into the 12V outlet) but i don't think you lose too much going that route (other than a few hours of frustration attempting to tuck an extra 30 feet of wires between plastic trim pieces lol)

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,384 Posts
Luckily, the wire kits have a built-in fuse. So I'm covered there... Inline fuse is an ease on a troubled mind...

Of course, one of the LED box lights has lost a few chips so now I need to find a new set to replace the old.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts