Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Forester Premium. I have noticed that when I'm driving, if I take my foot of the gas, instead of a smooth coast, it feels almost like it's braking slightly, for a bit and then will eventually feel like it stops That drag and coasts smoothly. It's hard to explain, but it's a tangible glfeeling of slowing at a rate faster than just deceleration from coasting. I assumed it was just some function of the AWD or CVT, but I've been driving a 2019 Premium tge last few days and I don't notice the same issue. It's not obviously at one speed or another, or grade, etc. Not driving with parking brake on our anything like that. Anyone have a similar experience? Idea what might be going on?

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's probably a difference in how the CVT / torque converter behaves since it eventually coasts. If you think a brake is dragging just feel each wheel after a long drive checking to see if one is warmer.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
162 Posts
I also noticed a slight drag when I started driving my 2019.. I'm not sure if i've gotten used to it or its gone away, but I don't notice it anymore... Maybe it's just a breaking in thing?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. I'll chef chk for asymmetric brake heat, but it sounds like the torque converter may be the deal? Glad to hear I'm not alone. Noir a huge deal just wanted to make sure it vwasn't something to worry about.

·
Registered
2014 XE CVT
1,332 Posts
Experience this sometimes on my SJ. It's due to the alternator cutting in on the overrun, rather than running all the time and thus using more fuel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have noticed the same issue and it’s actually bothering me a little bit. Also, on occasion when I take my foot off the accelerator quickly around 1000-1500RPMs, the whole car will shake quickly about 3 times. Has anyone else experienced this issue as well? Seems as if the brakes are being applied 3 times then will coast smoothly... this bothers me much more.
2020 sport 2500miles

·
Registered
23 Posts
This my first CVT and I notice some strange sensations too. I came from a Santa Fe and find this one seems to coast more. I find I'm approaching stops signs too fast and have to consciously get off the gas sooner than I used to. Transmission does make some odd jerks and bumps. I guess after a while you get use to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's just the CVT. I started putting the car in neutral when I actually wanted to coast for a while when I have a ways to a stop or are coming into a speed limit drop. Otherwise it always seemed like I needed to be accelerating just to not slow down.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Limited
82 Posts
It's just the CVT. I started putting the car in neutral when I actually wanted to coast for a while when I have a ways to a stop or are coming into a speed limit drop. Otherwise it always seemed like I needed to be accelerating just to not slow down.
Agreed ! It seems to keep going fast even with foot off pedal. CVT factor never hit me. Will try neutral next time (just need to rmbr to put it back to D)

I have also experienced the jerk/drag/crunch sound when I suddenly decelerate for construction areas without using break - gave up on its smoothness - happens only occasionally - but the worst part ? The lag when putting it in D after reversing - nearly 3s but seems like an eternity if there is oncoming traffic

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
490 Posts
I have never experienced the lag time from D to R or jerkiness or other odd behavior. 2015 2.5i maybe it’s the new updated CVt?

·
Registered
2017 Forester Limited
82 Posts
I have never experienced the lag time from D to R or jerkiness or other odd behavior. 2015 2.5i maybe it’s the new updated CVt?
I got the 2017 2.5i "premium"

I was also comparing notes on 2020 model -seems like it has even more jerkiness than 2019

·
Registered
2017 Forester Limited
82 Posts
Opps that is this model lol...no way to edit comment...so is the 2020 model worth going for over a 2019 based on the dealer's buy-back deals I wonder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has no one else experienced anything similar to my post above? Very hard to reproduce but never happens above 50mph. Happens when RPMs always under 1500 when abruptly taking foot off gas it will almost violently jerk 3 times. Enough to almost smack my head off the seat...

Has anyone also watched the RPM gauge around 1000-1500? It does not smoothly decelerate. Not sure if it’s related to the violent jerking. Never happens in sport mode, always around 1200rpms the gauge / car has a mind of its own. Can feel the deceleration along with seeing the gauge. Ill see if I can get a video of it at some point.

If you’re going to look at the RPMs while driving be careful!!!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
332 Posts
Has no one else experienced anything similar to my post above? Very hard to reproduce but never happens above 50mph. Happens when RPMs always under 1500 when abruptly taking foot off gas it will almost violently jerk 3 times. Enough to almost smack my head off the seat...

Has anyone also watched the RPM gauge around 1000-1500? It does not smoothly decelerate. Not sure if it’s related to the violent jerking. Never happens in sport mode, always around 1200rpms the gauge / car has a mind of its own. Can feel the deceleration along with seeing the gauge. Ill see if I can get a video of it at some point.

If you’re going to look at the RPMs while driving be careful!!!
I felt and saw this initially with my 2019. One day, with around 7000 miles on it, I realized the drive train had smoothed out substantially, and the touchy herky jerky behavior you note above was gone. I see in earlier posts to this thread that others have noted the same, so apparently the CVT mellows with age. :)

·
Registered
2020 Ice Silver Forester Touring
8 Posts
I have a 2020 touring that is just over 1 month old. At one point, I noticed the drag and decel when coasting but it is not so pronounced now. I haven't noticed any "jerkiness" but a few times I did notice around 20 mph if would feel like the CVT would downshift and then surge forward slightly (15mpg) after the downshift. I only noticed it a few times and it wasn't that pronounced so it hasn't bothered me. I'm just 'chalking' it up to my first CVT and I'll get used to it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts